Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland is now Catholic Majority

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

"Even compare GP care, Republic you can call and be seen same day or next day for about €60. "

Which obviously proves you haven't a clue about what passes for normal in GP practices down here. Even a few years ago, you'd wait 2-3 days for a GP appointment. In recent months, that takes 2-3 weeks. Yes 2-3 weeks to see a GP. Assuming you're on their books.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,826 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

NHS and the file are tough ones.

Civil servants would be a slow integration. Probably a lot of retirees not replaced over time.

Police would remain as now. A separate entity in a unified country just like NI and the UK for a very long time at least.

The capital will be Dublin no question. Biggest city and internationally recognized capital for the average person. Stormont would probably keep a devolved government of sorts though at least for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Never heard of such things with gps, I can get an appointment whenever always have. In NI you're talking a wait of weeks, mostly there's no point in going to gp so people just present themselves at a and e

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Keep pumping those kids out folks.

I read somewhere that the Protestant population tends to emigrate more then the Catholic. A lot will go to university in cities such as London, Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle etc and won't come back whereas the Catholic students are less likely to stay.

Then factor in southerners settling in the north.

Anyway the trend is clear. The next census it will continue the shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Have to agree with you, there is a shortage of GPs in many areas now, a wait time of a week is normal, unless really urgent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The key part in your above post is 19.8% said 'Northern Irish Only'. I expect this percentage to grow in the coming years. As new generations grow up without the idealogical baggage of attachment to Britain or the ROI. I hope I am correct, because it will be a building block for a more normally run state.

People said that 10 years ago also.

But the "Northern Irish only" group has actually declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Oh Mohammed will probably be thinking on a much grander scale than a United Ireland.

Think more ISIS type European caliphate.

Could you please explain how one of the most industrialised countries in the world in the late 1980s, the powerhouse of Europe, with it's own natural resources, massive multinationals and massive internal market was poorer than Ireland of today.

This would be Ireland wholly dependent on foreign direct investment, which still has massive debts and no natural resources to speak of.

I am just intrigued.

Or maybe you are thinking of a war ravaged Germany in the late 1940s?

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

No problem. Their GDP per capita in 1990 was 20k $

Ours today is 99k $

Even if you wanted to nitpick and say that GDP isn't a reasonable metric here because of FDI, - our GNP per capita is 74k $

Further, - the East Germans were far far poorer in comparison to their West counterparts than NI residents are compared to us.

Germany as a whole doesn't have great natural resources. Actually the east has more than the west and was far richer before WW2.

Whether it has reached you or not, this is a very rich and prosperous country that we live in today with all the problems of same.

If you read the thread, others have shown that the stipend to NI from England is in a large part giving them money for them to give it back to be spent on stuff that isn't in NI. Add to that the pension cost and there's about 2/3 of the money they are given.

It's basic economics and basic maths.

Every serious economic study of reunification costs has come to the same conclusions.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I chose 'Irish only' as I have always thought Northern Irish is a senseless term. I have always associated a Northern Irish identify with unionism and I am not from that community. I will always consider myself Irish simply because of my ancestry.

I am pleased that there is a slight Catholic majority as unionists are a very arrogant smug people, it is what they deserve. They decorate 60% Catholic towns with orange arches the whole summer. In fact I saw a flag with UVF written on it in the middle of a town recently, they don't even hide it.

It won't change anything politically though as too much has happened since partition, I don't think there will ever be a unified island.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,719 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I must have misheard the segment I was listening to on the radio in that case. On about the changing identity Markers in NI beyond religion And they said the probability of more identification with ‘NI only’ because of Brexit.

-

I found a census summary instead that clarifies it a bit.

’The number of people who were recorded as ‘Northern Irish only’ is broadly stable - standing at 379,300 people in 2011 and 376,400 people in 2021. However the total number of people identifying as either ‘British and Northern Irish’ or ‘Irish and Northern Irish’ or ‘British, Irish and Northern Irish’ is up from 149,300 people in 2011 to 213,000 people in 2021.’

https://www.nisra.gov.uk/system/files/statistics/census-2021-main-statistics-for-northern-ireland-phase-1-statistical-bulletin-national-identity.pdf

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭vegandinner

Not true anymore, certainly a shortage of GPS in some areas, but it’s improved greatly since the pandemic, it’s gone from a 2 day wait to same day in my area. Anecdotally I hear similar in a lot of places

Yep I've generally seen my GP the same week and when urgent I was able to get on the same day. Obviously not gonna be the same in all locations. I'm based in East Cork. Friend in London has to wait a long time in general to see a gp.

But I'm happy to dispute the poster who earlier said that it's rare for somebody to hit the 140 for pharmacy expenses because of the long term illness coverage. Think it's about 120 atm but the long term illness list was last updated last in the 70s. Plenty of chronic illnesses such as arthritis, psoriasis, ibd and crohns that easily hit the limit on a monthly basis. The NHS is definitely superior if you're dealing day to day with illness.

This is not to say that I don't think a United Ireland isn't preferable. Economically the UK are gonna suffer in the coming years and there's no real end in sight. Plus the UK simply doesn't care about the North, it's just there and abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

EU citizens probably paid with higher interest rates than needed as Germany raised theirs to prevent inflation due to large numbers of Deutschmarks being printed to replace East German currency. Other countries in the ERM then had to raise their interest rates to prevent falling out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

What was the" Maths question" result on this island in 1918? Was the result "pro/anti" maths? Did the "mathematics" weigh in , on the topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Hundreds of thousands of people on DLA won't want unification no matter what side of the religious fence they sit on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Bernie138

No Scotland, no Union, that's true.

But a united Ireland is coming anyway.

I presume the 'cataract buses' to the north are stopped now post Brexit? You know, where elderly down here were on waiting lists for years but could get treated up north as part of EU treatment scheme.

Of course the curious thing about Scottish Independence which many nationalists here think would be a fine thing... is that many of their despised unionist neighbours are originally of Scottish and Scottish/ Irish origin.

You must live in a privileged part so - down here in the distant reaches of the south east, 2-3 weeks is norm for a standard appointment. Of course, urgent cases are met quicker but if you want an eye test or check up then you may wait. Sure, who thinks the health service in the Republic is fantastic??????

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Unionists are probably getting the message how little the rest of the Uk care about them.

Give or take it costs 30 billion euros to run the six counties per year.

Approximately 935 million of that is running the PSNI.

what happens to policing ? It’s a real complicated effort educating, retraining 6,700 force members…. You can call it PSNI but in a United Ireland surely the laws have to be identical, policing, court systems….it’s messy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

I think that is why Scotland independence would make a UI more likely. Most Unionists ancestry would not have even came from what is left of the UK after Scotland leave which would presumably reduce their connection with the union. Plus would England not go soon after Scotland which means the union is dead and buried.

Northern irish identity is a political identity. There is no nation of Northern Irish people. It is caught up in the irish and British nation. Anyone who puts Northern Ireland only would put irish only after a UI or keep NI only should NI still exist. The people who put irish only or British only will remain the same whether or not there is a UI as they are attaching their identity not to a political jurisdiction put to a nation of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

It's a bit more than that for some people. It isn't necessarily just blithely attaching one's identity to a political jurisdiction. In many cases, it is specifically an acknowledgement that our history in NI has affected us and created a culture that in some aspects is distinct from either Irish or British culture. It is a spectrum and my own affinity lies much more strongly on the Irish side of things (to the extent that I moved away from NI and chose to raise a family on this side of the border), but I'd be a fool to pretend that nothing rubbed off that does make my culture and outlook different to that of my wife who grew up on this side of the border.

I'd describe myself as Irish first and then Northern Irish, and like it or not if I'm still kicking around post-Unification (something I deeply hope is the case) I'll still describe myself as such despite NI no longer existing. The terminology may change as those of us who experienced life in what was NI die off, but until we're all dead and buried there will still be something unique about the experience we had that will reflect in our identity and culture, and not all of it is bad.

As for the actual thread title, I'm not particularly fussed on whether there is a Catholic plurality or a Protestant one beyond the historical interest in it being the first time in a state set up to specifically avoid it. The correlation between Catholic/Nationalist and Protestant/Unionist is weaker than it has ever been and Unification will be won or lost on the back of persuading the middle ground. Fortunately big house Unionism remains about as much use as a chocolate teapot when it comes to moderating themselves to attract a middle ground or any sort of outreach really.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭O'Neill

I've heard people who call themselves 'Northern Irish' as another way of saying their both Irish and British.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

For some that may be the case; I know quite a few who would agree with that sentiment.....I also know plenty like myself who don't. I'd certainly accept that there has been a British influence on my culture (though that could easily be applied to the entire island), but I don't see myself as in any way British.

Some who identify as Northern Irish Only also see it as a label which removes them from the Green/Orange, British/Irish debate entirely; those people may see themselves as neither British nor Irish.

As always trying to break broad cohorts down to one simple mentality is an exercise in futility.

Northern Irish identity is really an Ulster identity I think and incorporates a wider area than just the Six Counties. The people of Donegal have far more in common with those of Armagh than they do with Kerry people. Which is why a future model for a UI might look at regional assemblies in a federal system - Ulster, Munster, Connacht, Leinster and Greater Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

It won't be NI joining ROI. It will be a UI....new country with many blends of the 2 components. Nobody has all the answers, but answers we will find along the way.

What is the NHS but a Healthcare System, a bunch of buildings and people to staff them (over simplified, yes, I know). The NHS would remain for some time under an orderly agreement and eventually there would be a new healthcare system with the same staff and some changes to management and structures over time to eventually fall under the new Irish healthcare system. Hopefully we would learn something along the way.

Same story with civil servants, but as for the PSNI.....well, it's a great opportunity to disband the Gardaí and form a new police force with new upper management as our own is rotten to the core and steeped in corruption.

The capital will of course still be Dublin. It's the biggest city and is the engine keeping the rest of the country ticking over.

I don't particularly care much if there is a UI or not. I see problems and benefits, but it shouldn't be approached with rose tinted republican glasses. Tough times ahead and we need to adopt a brits welcome attitude because we all live on this sh!tty little gem we call home.

Stay Free

Ulsterman/women would be considered a nation. I know of a guy from Donegal who will describe themselves as a ulsterman before irish. But this nation would be prodesent. The culture like the OO and celebrating the battle of the Boyne would be part of their unique culture that forms the nation.

I read that a Catholic in the north is more likely to use the NI only identity than a prodesent which means alot do not see the Ulster identity equalling a NI identity. I cant imagine a Catholic who puts NI only seeing themselves as an Ulsterman/woman.

Some people might be using the NI identity because they come from mixed upbringings or they dont want to get envolved in the politics of British/irish identity so go with the most neutral option.

Oh I think many Donegal people hop regularly back and forwards between Donegal, Derry & Tyrone and in the past Scotland for that matter. Strong Ulster identity and also found in Cavan, Monaghan and Louth to some extent. It's an ancient and natural understanding.

Munster & Connacht also have regional identities. Leinster less so as it'e been polluted by Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Agreed. I'd say many Catholics/Nationalists wouldnt be over enthusiastic about leaving the NHS. If I lived in NI and there was a border poll - leaving the NHS would give me serious incentive to vote No.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement