Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

That's mad.

Very impressed with Stockdale, don't think he had any linebreaks but it looks like he hasn't lost any of his pre-injury strength. Constantly rode the first tackle and made yards. Lowry was box office and McCloskey caused problems as usual.

I think better teams will be licking their lips at our defence, but it was a low error game with good intensity and lots of tries. So I'm happy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Lowry is lethal. If he can kick on again this season he will be devastating.

Stockdale was impressive again, as was McCloskey. Timoney stood out too. Ulster played some very impressive rugby early on. Clearly far from perfect given they shipped 39 points.

It will be a big test next week against what will be presumably a full strength (or very close to) Leinster team.

Yes. Ulster are the best Irish team to watch at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Delighted to see Ulster off to a good start. Cooney was fantastic. Still a quality player. It was nice seeing Gilroy playing and Marshall is such a good player. Hopefully they tighten things up.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭supernova5

yes I agree, with the squad a players they have at their disposal they really should be winning silverware, its high time they got some trophies after so many years of being there or there abouts..

• Advertisement

Silverware is tough to win! The inclusion of the bokke sides has made the URC a very good competition! That is beneficial for the provinces.

Ulster have a chance. I think they could win this year, it would be great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭supernova5

yea very hard to win a trophy, when you consider Munster's last win was 2011 and Ulster's 2006 that give's you an indication

although Leinster's total dominance has played a very big part in that,

I think Ulster has assembled their best squad ever

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

David McCann called up to Emerging Ireland in the face of injuries to Kendellen and Soroka.

Timoney may stay fit then.

I take it Vermuelen will be back soon enough which should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,932 ✭✭✭TRC10

John Cooney finding form in time to make Scotland's world cup squad.

• Advertisement

I didn't think of that.

When did he last play for Ireland? I think it was 2020, just before the Pandemic, he came off the bench at Twickenham.

Is the rule 5 years or 3 years? Surely it's more than 3 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Isn't it 5 years to naturalise to a new country, but only 3 years to switch if already have the necessary right to represent another country.

If Cooney has a Scottish link (I see from Wikipedia his father is Scottish) then 3 years should be enough, but I wouldn't think he would be interested in a switch of allegiance.

Players can change allegiances if they were born in the country they want to represent or have a parent or grandparent born there; they can switch only once and there's a stand-down period of three years from international rugby

Don't see why he wouldn't want to go to a RWC if given the opportunity. He won't get another chance. He should have a rake of international caps by now but doesn't.

Sounds like we have indeed been in touch with Rory Sutherland again post Worcester meltdown.

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/bath-rugby-join-castres-ulster-7632150

Why would Cooney play for Scotland? He was born in Dublin?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,477 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ah here, you are asking why a player would want to play in a world cup when he feels hes been overlooked by his country.

of course he'd love to play for Scotland at RWC 23

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Players can qualify for more than 1 country... his father was born in Scotland.

He may play for Scotland because hasnt played for Ireland in nearly 3 years and doesnt look like he will be involved with them any time soon

Only John Cooney knows, but I haven’t heard any reports on him mentioning a desire to move on from Ireland.

If Ulster have a good year he could find himself with a call up to Ireland.

Unlikely. Why would Ulster having a good season move Cooney up the depth chart?

If he gets opportunities in big matches to perform, it would surely improve his chances.

For a counter example, if Connacht or Munster fail to progress to playoffs, it makes it harder for their players to impress.

That’s all assuming the coaches will have an open mind up til the summer break before selecting the World Cup training squad.

• Advertisement

Cooney was the best scrumhalf in the island a few seasons ago and didn't get selected. He can't really improve on that.

Besides which, Harry Byrne hasn't needed to play in a big match. And Mack Hansen got into the Irish squad when Connacht finished last season without top tier European rugby.

I've said it before, it's clear Farrell doesn't care about provincial pecking order or the overall success of a player's province. If he sees something he likes, the player stands a good chance. Which I personally think is great.

But Ulster going great guns will not make Cooney any more likely to get a call-up.

He's never going to play for Ireland again, no matter how well he plays, unless about 8 other scrum halves all somehow get injured at once. He was the best 9 in Europe at one stage and still couldn't get a look in. It's not a case of him "moving on from Ireland". Scotland can select him as soon as he's eligible, which is mid 2023. Scotland don't have a policy on players based outside Scotland, so he could play for Scotland while still at Ulster, like Bradley Roberts played for Wales last season. Yes, the IRFU would want him moved on from Ulster if he was to play for Scotland, but he'll be 33 and I don't think he'd mind that for a shot at playing in a world cup.

I think he'd be all over it if he got a call up from Scotland. He'd walk into their team anyway. He's easily in the top 3 Irish scrum halves still, but there's clearly a personality clash with and and Sexton/Farrell.

I have a premonition about him kicking the goal that knocks Ireland out of the world cup next year.

I didn't know that his father was a Scot. He probably would walk onto the Scottish squad. He's still a fine player and he could still vault the queue for Ireland.

If I was Farrell, I'd give him a close look. I think he's the type of player that would thrive in the current style of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,919 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

I really doubt it for Ireland. He's 33 at end of this season. Hasnt been capped in nearly 3 years. What suggest he could skip any queue? Farrell doesnt look to be in any way interested.

Probably true enough. I do think he's suited to the gameplan. Whatever about Farrell not rating him, he's been superb since his move to Ulster.

• Administrators Posts: 53,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Bench is very weak, Emerging Ireland tour playing its part here. Jones, Curtis, Carter, Shanahan and Moxham are not going to turn a game.

Doak, Baloucoune, Moore would likely be in here, and McCann is better than Jones too. Izuchukwu over Carter any day for me too.

Oof. 19 - 23 not great. Can see us losing it in the last fifteen.

Glad Sexton's getting some serious games to show what he's capable of.

Yeah he made a decent break last week before the Dragons 10 clattered him in the air. He seems to have moved ahead of Moxham anyway.

You have to be concerned about the bench. Other than Moore there are zero game changers, although at least Curtis can bring some different to the table if called upon. But that tour has hurt us here in terms of depth. I'd expect Stewart, McCann, Doak, Moore and obviously Baloucoune to be there.

McIlroy would start ahead of Sexton / bench ahead of Moxham as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Wikidy

Are Hume and Henderson injured? Lowe and Keenan are injured for a few weeks, good opportunity for Stockdale and Lowry before the autumn internationals.

Advertisement