Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

I've been told if I want to order a new bike I need to pay half up front and half on delivery, I,m very surprised by this and wondered whether anyone else had this experience, the shop says there not importing any of this model and it would be a special order, I personally wouldn't buy a bike without at least sitting on it,that said there is no demo to view/sit on/ test ride . (Bikexxxxd)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Not ideal, but the bike show is coming up in Birmingham - might see one of the models there even if just to sit ?

Can usually get cheap enough flights for day trip. Overseas visitors used to get free entry when showing their passport.

They may have them in Bangor/Belfast. 4700£ in UK,. 7500€ here, (4500£=5500€). Must be a lot of taxes etc to get one here.

None in Bangor, there(Davy's) not getting any in till they sell the old model(310T).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 663 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Anybody tried those Beeline Moto devices? They look kinda cool, rather than having a giant phone on the handlebars.

https://eu.beeline.co/pages/beeline-moto

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I've got one.

Firstly there's a new version of the push bike version so a new moto might be next if you can wait or they might update current one to do the new features.

You have to get used to it as there's symbols for stuff more complicated than a simple turn or roundabout, and as you cant see a map sometimes the turn at 100m 50m indicator can be misleading with judging distance / GPS accuracy / speed.

I've not used the jack sparrow compass that simplifies things even more to just point in the direction of your destination. So not sure if it'd be a great adventure or a hightech way to get lost.

It goes off google maps so there's issues there on some back road where google thinks the road you're on ends in a Y/T junction while it really just continues on, not a problem with an actual map on phone in car but when you looking at an arrow saying to turn right on a turn that doesn't exist that's why.

Routing is different to google even if it's using google maps. The avoid highway is there but it seems to route around parts it shouldn't like motorway junctions where you're just crossing over. Or that's people rating those bits down, as generally on a bike I'd avoid them anyway.

You can save routes easily and have a mass of alterations to routes rather than adding stops with google, can export and import after you've made one.

Battery last and screen very easy to see, only needs backlight when it's dark you can read it in normal or bright light easily. Standby is crazy, says 4 to 6 months and personally I'd believe it as I've left it for 6 weeks after taking it out previously and it might have only dropped 5-10%.

Different mounts to buy for it as well as the simpler one it comes with, the slot it fits into on them is tight but be careful it's in fully as people try not to force it but it ends up not being in fully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If it's a specific special order only, then yes a substantial deposit would be in order.

If though it's actually a common model, but they just don't have one in stock, then a smaller, more regular deposit would be the norm.

I had this when I bought my Africa Twin in 2018 - importer only wanted to sell what he had in stock (colour-wise), which I didn't like, so I ordered one from the UK (which required paying in full for it before shipping). Before this however I'd looked at them here, as well as travelling to the Bike Show in NEC and test riding it there, so I was sure it was the bike I wanted.

What make/model are you looking at ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 663 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

@Varik cheers thats great feedback. I may wait for a new release in that case.

I'm not sure there is a new one coming, they said the existing moto was meant to have a better processor to allow for new features but nothing since. I don't see a reason why they wouldn't, and since it's a small company I don't see them doing an apple and dropping the old to sell a new one with all the changes introducing a new product would mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,779 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

One thing you need to be 100% of if it's not an officially imported model, is that it has a EU Type Approval - Certificate of Conformity (referred to as a CoC). Without it, you won't be able to register it here, and you need to check that you can insure it as well.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

My 3rd party insurance claim got finalized eventually.

I'm ok after a bit of a hammering physically and the bike is back to it's pre crash condition.

Time to move on.

Well I found one thing that really annoys me about my Husky is the fuel gauge, its pretty random. Almost got caught out out in the middle of nowhere over the weekend. Would not have to have pushed the bike through the Wicklow mountains.

At least you have one.

I just suddenly lose power, and then have pull over change valve to reserve and hope it starts again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Just zero the trip when you fill up and you'll have a good idea when you're getting low.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,458 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Can you not change to reserve while in motion?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Zebbedee

I've been doing that for year's.

Gives you a very good idea of how much mileage you have left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

some **** pricks on the road today. Had a lad in an SUV speed and cut across a lane, go into the oncoming lane (crossing solid line) just to overtake me to be first at the **** lights.

Prick!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have noticed a pretty serious decline in driving standards and ability in the last 6mths.

People are speeding everywhere and driving like maniacs in my area, parking in weird dangerous spots and just generally behaving like they are the only vehicle on the road.

Its worrying, and the other part is that the council has seemingly given up painting the median line on any new roads. There are sections on the R585 that have been resurfaced and the median strip missing for the last year. Its like no-one gives a fock anymore.

I've always found drivers in ireland to be some of the worse. Italy is probally the only other place I've been where they're as bad, but they at least know how to drive on a motorway there. They just dont understand the concept of speedlimits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

I bought some new leather bike trousers and it recommends treating them with a leather proofer before wearing, I'd appreciate any recommendations if you have any?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sounds mad but a quick visit to the equine section of your local pet store should give you a variety of leathercare products, there's plenty of weather proofers to choose from, most if not all are excellent.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭chasm

Thanks, I never would have thought to try the equine section, but makes sense when I think about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

If the pound keeps dropping will it be worth while looking at bikes in UK again?

Just had a check there.

I bought a car in Ipswich in 2016.

Exchange rate would be nearly €1000 less now

That's just on price of car before anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

I used to purchase all my cars in the UK but that's gone now with all the extra charges,

Is there any extra charges now with brexit for a motorbike from the UK?

Had a quick look on the VRT Calculator and its showing €400 for a 2016 Reg 1000cc, is that all the charges you would have to pay?

Vat as well.

I think generally you're talking around a third of the price of the bike added on in fees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

May be of interest to some, but there's a bit of a mis-price in Halfords on Muc-off 5L motorcycle cleaner, in their online pricing. Online it's €19.15, and in-store it's €36+. It's concentrate, so makes up to 20L. Much cheaper than anywhere else. Order online and collect/pay in store.

Advertisement