Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Judge Reinhold, John Ashton, Paul Reiner & Bronson Pinchot all returning for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Thai Cave Rescue limted series (2022) (Thai) A Thai youth soccer team and their assistant coach are trapped within Tham Luang Cave, prompting a global rescue effort. Inspired by true events.

The Dreamlife of Georgie Stone (2022) Sharing her journey from child to teen activist, Georgie Stone looks back at her life and historic fight for transgender rights in this documentary.

Nico: The Movie (2005) (Spanish) When his family moves to a new town, Nico and his guide dog, Tom, have lots to teach their friends about what it's like to be visually impaired.

Interior Design Masters season 2 (2021) Aspiring interior designers transform a variety of spaces from dowdy to delightful as they vie for a life-changing contract with a top London hotel...

Snabba Cash season 2 (2022) (Swedish) The lives of an ambitious businesswoman, a charming gang enforcer and a troubled teen collide amidst a desperate -- and sinister -- pursuit of wealth.

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'll admit I'm a sucker for those type of WW2 movies they don't make anymore: romps or adventures against the backdrop of the war. Better yet when they're heist movies, trying to pull a fast one while nobody's looking (see the pinnacle of this with Kelly's Heroes). So this looks like it might tick those boxes, and be a bit of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,609 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Another thing about that Thai cave rescue they are coming pretty thick and fast. There was the doc the rescue and a film version as well Thirteen lives, don't think much need to watch a third thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Just finished this tonight, watched all 10 episodes in two sittings. Fairly grim. Evan Peters done a fantastic job. Never knew much about JD. One of the darkest things I’ve ever watched yet I couldn’t help go back for more. Highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just finished Episode 6 of Dahmer called Silenced now that was a heartbreaking and very well made episode about his deaf victim Tony It actually gave a good back story to him, how he had to fight throughout his life for being Black Gay and Deaf The makers did a great job with the deaf scenes especially in the club.

But in the end it went to show how damaged Jeff was that he really liked this guy but the urges of drugging his drinks and not leaving him go to work proved to strong.

Shows like this make it worth keeping your Netflix subscription

Lou (2022) A mysterious loner living a quiet life with her dog battles the elements and her own dark past when a neighbor's little girl is kidnapped during a storm

The Girls at the Back Season 1 (2022) (Spanish) In this moving comedy, five friends plan a series of chaotic bucket-list challenges for their annual vacation after one of them learns she has cancer.

A Jazzman's Blues (2022) Tyler Perry's tale of forbidden love and family drama unravels 40 years of secrets and lies against a soundtrack of juke-joint blues in the Deep South.

Pokémon: The Arceus Chronicles (2022) While investigating the legend of the mythical Pokémon Arceus, Ash, Goh and Dawn uncover a plot by Team Galactic that threatens the world..

ATHENA (2022) (French) The tragic killing of a young boy ignites an all-out war in the community of Athena, with the victim's older brothers at the heart of the conflict.

When a Dream Comes True (2019) (Spanish) Approaching 40, Ed leaves everything behind in Barcelona and travels across the US in search of his lifelong dream: to be a filmmaker in America.

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I get the love for True Crime but you couldn't pay me to watch a series about Dahmer. Too nasty, too grisly; I'm not "offended" by the idea, just there are some subjects I don't need to see fictionalised.

ATHENA (2022) (French) The tragic killing of a young boy ignites an all-out war in the community of Athena, with the victim's older brothers at the heart of the conflict.

Saw the trailer for this a few weeks back and looks quite epic, mixed with La Haine style French social commentary. Though often with these things, the trailer could be selling a different story to reality.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Saw some comments from family members of Dahmer's victims and they're not happy with it at all. I suppose there's only so many times you can have a trauma like that dragged up for public consumption before you draw the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I think with anything like that, series/film that dramatises a real life monster there's the risk that you end up humanising or even glorifying them in some way.

• Advertisement

Yeah, and even when a series or film avoids that you still get the public doing it. I've seen some really weird things being said on twitter about Dahmer the last few days. Some of it might only be people joking, but I'm not sure I could detach myself enough from something so horrific to make jokes about it.

I watched Do Revenge, it's kind of exactly what I was expecting it was going to be, it wears it influences front and centre, but a very fun enjoyable high school comedy.

I enjoyed it up until the "twist" and then it didn't seem to know how to wrap it up after that, but it was still far and away the best film of its kind Netflix have done. Everyone's obsessed with Maya Hawke but I think Camilla Mendes carried the whole thing.

Yeah that twist (which was kind of obvious) and ending didn't really work, but it was still great fun.

I like Maya Hawke but she can be a bit one note Camila Mendes was really good definitely.

Give me realism any day above the regurgitation and CGI that is much of todays norm. Having your emotions deeply affected by the subject matter for me is the point of film making whatever the subject is. Creating those feelings of fear, horror, love whatever it may be.

3 episodes into this, and its really a fascinating piece of work. You are missing out.

Dynasty season 5 (2022) In high-society Atlanta, staying rich means playing dirty for two affluent families caught in an outrageous feud for power, prestige and love..

Rescued from Hell: The Story of Jota Cardona (2019) A former drug baron reflects on his life, growing up in poverty, working with Griselda Blanco and Pablo Escobar and ultimately turning away from crime

No Panic, with a Hint of Hysteria (2016) A timid accountant tries to keep his hit-man career secret after an accidental killing makes him the target of gangsters, police and an unhinged blonde.

Rock´n´Roll Eddie (2019) (Polish) After finding a mysterious gramophone, two teenagers open a pathway between two worlds and bring in a fugitive from another dimension.

Fullmetal Alchemist The Final Alchemy (2022) (Japanese) The Elric brothers' long and winding journey comes to a close in this epic finale, where they must face off against an unworldly, nationwide threat

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

Question about Dahmer. I've read up on him on Wikipedia and some of the things he did were physically quite gruesome. How graphic is the show? I honestly don't know if I could stomach sitting down and watching him do some of the things mentioned on the Wikipedia page.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Not much most of it is off camera you hear the noises coming from his apartment through the vent of his neighbours. They didn't want to show the crimes. Interview from Evan Peters discusses it here

Post edited by Snake Plisken on

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

Thank you so much, I'll definitely watch it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Tudum : Global Fan Event on now

Heart of Stone starring Gal Gadot, Jamie Dornan, and Alia Bhat

Enola Holmes 2

Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story

Shadow and Bone Season 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,130 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Evan Peters deserves every award possible, what an actor

Do Revenge is a good fun watch

I watched Lou this evening it's an odd geri-action (without a tonne of action) film with Alison Janney in the lead. I love her in pretty much anything and she is excellent in this. Jurnee Smollett (lovecraft country) is solid as is the dog!

It is overlong but enjoyable enough. 7/10

Don't worry the dog makes it unscathed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I started watching Athena and got about 20 minutes in before I gave up. It could have been a lot better but is just too overblown even for my liking, the flat complexes reminded me of suburbia but they lacked the despair and menace that the Italians had

Season 4 of Netflix’s “You” officially has a release date. The first part will debut on Feb. 10 and Part 2 will be available on March 10

The Crown season 5 arrives November 9th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Watched season 1 of this, but then it fell of my radar. Is it worth a revisit?

Tudum 2022: A Global Fan Event (2022) Watch the stars of your favorite series and films from around the world debut exclusive news during this mega fan event.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

Athena is probably my film of the year so far. Incendiary filmmaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Based on Tudum I don't think I watch any of Netflix's high profile shows and have t little interest in the movies. Might have to consider taking a 6 month break at some point.

Advertisement