Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Kuenssberg really is very unlikeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Some things don't change no matter who the PM is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm not so sure. Remember, Johnson was ousted solely because they were tanking in the polls. Truss hasn't even had a new leader bounce. She's committed herself to a downwards trajectory and so is doing as much as she can for the donors while she can.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If they were to cut taxes to curb inflation (an impossible task), the VAT rate should have been cut from 20% to 15%. That would benefit the poor, and the rich. To cut out the higher rate on income tax only benefits those that pay it (the well off) and the richest, that pay the most income tax, the most.

It was quoted that a person being paid (I wont say earned) a million pounds a year benefits by GB£55,000 a year while someone on GB£20,000 benefits by a few hundred a year.

It is clear where the heart of this new administration lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,624 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Hugely.

It was hilarious seeing her confused face squirm when Joe Lycett was on that first week of her new show lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

I find the obsession with growth thoroughly depressing. I know it’s the world we live in, but isn’t it in direct conflict with our climate objectives? What if you don’t want to grow and grow and grow, what if you just want to work normally and have a decent standard of living and not constantly consume more and more and more.

It’s quite clear that the likes of Truss and Kwarteng only have respect for people who work 18 hour days and earn massive salaries and are obsessed with efficiencies and cost saving. But who is this working for anymore? It’s like when Leo pats himself on the back on Twitter because there are 40 new pharma jobs coming to Cavan, despite home ownership being completely out of reach for under 35s. What’s the point of endless growth, when inflation is out of control, you have nowhere to live, public services and completely under-resourced, and the climate crisis is destroying the planet?

It feels like we need to completely change how our modern economic system works. Economies are not just money sloshing around, they’re millions of real people who just want a decent life. Of course, this is never going to happen.

Maybe I’m completely naive and I fully accept that I don’t understand a lot of the economic analysis stuff, and of course I understand the need to create an environment where businesses can thrive, to generate the money to pay for things, but this crackpot plan isn’t even going to do that anyway??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,485 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They're not chasing growth though. Chasing growth would mean undoing Brexit, attempting to fix the cost of living issue and investing in infrastructure and the technologies of the future. This is standard kleptocracy stuff, nothing more.

Truss and Kwarteng and their ilk have nothing but contempt for anyone who isn't a privately educated millionaire. They're both authors of Britannia Unchained. The basic premise of that book is to show disdain for the working classes by calling them lazy and unmotivated behind a veneer of analysis. That way, they can portray trust fund beneficiaries as akin to the cream which rises to the top.

I'm a scientist. Anywhere I can get work is somewhere I can't afford to live alone. Then there's the administrators, the cleaners, the security staff and so on. There's your constraints on growth right there. No good in setting up a cutting edge firm in Oxford or Cambridge if nobody can actually afford to live less than 2 hours commute away. Then there's the price of trains. My ex-boss lives in Colchester and in 2019, he was spending £400 a month getting to and from work.

Endless growth would be ideal as long as it's sustainable. It requires boldness, innovation and hard graft to attain and maintain. Instead, we got imperial measurements, another burden.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The real killer in both Ireland and GB is the lack of council houses following the Thatcher sell off at half price, and its imitation here in Ireland.

It was not the sell off that was the problem (although it was a blatant vote buying exercise), but the decision to not build any replacements. This was the formula that was a political gift to the Tories that just kept on giving, because it led to house prices rising ever since. The FF FG parties also followed it, realising it was also a gift that kept on giving to them.

What that policy meant was that the prices of property just kept on rising, relentlessly. The formula is best capsulated in the phrase 'property ladder' in which the newly-wed couple buy a 'starter home' (basically a very small basic house not fit for a family) and wait till it rose in value, sold it off and moved to a slightly better house, and funded the new more expensive house with a larger mortgage and the larger residual equity in the old home. Repeat as often as their career allowed. This was followed by the buy-to-let which allowed the landlord to fund the ever increasing house prices by ever increasing rents.

My neighbour bought his house in 1966, and following his death, it was sold a few years ago for over 150 times his original purchase price - that probably equates to more than he earned in his working life. That is a Ponzi scheme - and like all Ponzi schemes will come to an unfortunate end at some stage. [Edit: I made a mistake in calculation - it was 1,500 times since 1966, and 150 times after 1986]

I cannot remember the source, but I heard an economist state that our economy requires, and has always required, about 30% of homes to be subsidised by the state, as is done by the provision of council houses. We built Ballyfermot, Finglas, Ballymun, etc in the 1950s 1960s and 1970s. Then we stopped building any council houses. Now we have a massive housing shortage - Ballymun towers were demolished - could they not have been refurbished?

Currently, the state provides the housing subsidy to private landlords who increase rents way beyond any reason, or the state puts people up in hotels. That is just madness.

Post edited by Sam Russell on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Look at what happens when the State builds homes for people. You get Cherry Orchard and Ballymun. People like that don't deserve free homes and the State is well off out of it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

People like what?

Please elaborate.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

It's the disgust that the right have for the working class. Nothing more.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Certainly different for a Labour Party conference. All very sh*t imo but I dare say some focus group or another has said that's what people want, shame Starmer isn't listening to the same groups saying people want a change in the voting system.

Lyric sheet included :pac:

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Workshy layabouts who pump out babies knowing that the State will be there to pick up the pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,983 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

He knew full well that in the week the QEII was buried, he wouldn't have a murmur of dissent.

Easy win.

You mean like the scum bags that were smashing up cars last night and those cheering them on

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 25,700 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

People making him out to be brave I expect, or able to take the tough decisions (obviously not really a tough decision). I suppose Labour is home to more Republicans than the other mainstream parties but I highly doubt any previous conference would have booed the anthem, had they sung it, or not respected a minutes silence.

The Monarchy still has strong support here and it increases as demographics get older. Obviously,we don't know what the future holds but those older voters need courting.

H. H. Asquith

Support for the monarchy had been on a downward trend for a while (little bump since QEII died) but you're quite right, still a very decent majority favour keeping them. As Labre34 suggested, it was a no lose idea (but printing the words gave right wing pundits the opportunity to have a nice little dig). I would say also though that a decent chunk of older voters will only ever vote Tory anyway.

• Advertisement

The old do favour the Tories, this is true. Since they're the demographic that actually puts in the effort to vote then that's a given. Doesn't mean that they necessarily like it or them. They love the BBC for instance. The culture war edgelord stuff that the party has engaged in is largely alien to a lot of them. Same with dumping sewage into rivers.

The right wing pundits will always find something to use to make snide comments. Always. They're paid to do it. If there was no anthem, the Mail would have led with that.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

Like most countries older voters like moderation and comfort. There is no way of knowing if they will prefer the Tories if they are a radical party as it's never happened before.

I would guess the big swing to LibDem in recent elections and the current prediction of Labour being 100 seats ahead would suggest they don't.

It has happened before. Thatcher was a radical and won three terms. Blair was a radical and won three terms.

Unless the Lib Dems are poised to take a quarter of the popular vote at the very least, any swing to them is meaningless.

H. H. Asquith

Ah no they were not the kind of radical we have now. Thatcher and Blair were both safe on the kind of things the older Tory voter likes.

Blair was only considered a radical by the left of his own party because he was a die hard centrist. Most of Thatchers big moves played to her base.

The current Tory party are gamblers which isn't what the older voter is after usually (Brexit being an exception)

LibDem seat gains looked very important when it looked like a tight race and every seat counted but that is looking less likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,162 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Labour go for the full nationalist jingoism. To think they denigrate the SNP in Scotland for being nationalist whilst they claim they are for the people

Not sure singing the national anthem is "full nationalist jingoism". Sadly being pro royal family is being "for the people" in England so not sure what your point is.

Not the kind we have now but still radical nonetheless. Thatcher transformed the Tory party and Blair Labour.

Lib Dem gains are irrelevant as they'll only happen on a significant scale if they win 25% or thereabouts in an election.

H. H. Asquith

Yes but they transformed them in a very careful way designed to appeal to the voter especially Blair. They may have been radical to the core membership but were moderate to the centre and swing voter.

The current Tories are radical to the right and therefore away from what was once considered electable.

• Advertisement

An upcoming GBP crisis coming.

Following the Truss Fiscal event, sterling is falling like a stone. €1=92p US$ =£1.04

This is plumbing the depths since Black Wednesday when GBP fell out of the snake.

Balance of payments/trade deficit are reaching alarming proportions, plus a budget deficit going to balloon funded by borrowing with interest rates on the rise. Add in the prospect of a trade war with the EU, and the prospect of a total crash looks inevitable.

Advertisement