Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

January 6 Public Hearings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

It's not illegal to attend a rally. People travel to them all the time. "Surely" and "Presumably" don't work as evidence - have you got evidence the Oath Keepers you believe committed conspiracy to overthrow the government prior to Jan 6, were at the Jan 6 riot? Your claim, back it up.

Again, this isn't an episode of '24' or whatever. FBI agents need warrants for arrests like any other law enforcement in the US.

Seeing complaints about not enough arrests in the US on an Irish board is pretty amusing, takes an enormous effort to be arrested for anything in this country and even if you are, the likelihood of sentencing is miniscule.

What you said was

Presumably the FBI could have arrested several far-right conspirators on conspiracy charges but chose not to.

You don't know that the FBI could've arrested anyone? You do understand how charging and arresting works, right? The whole, 'probable cause', "warrant issued by a judge' thing? Again, like I told the other lad, the FBI don't just wandering around arresting people on 'suspicion.'

Now, if you're looking for scrutiny of the FBI's actions, or inactions, that's fine. I have no idea nor do you why they did or didn't do what they do. Feel free to keep researching this and get back to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

No I don't know that the FBI could have definitely arrested someone.

I find it extremely odd that their agents inadvertently took part in a 'fascist coup attempt' to overthrow the US government because they couldn't obtain any evidence to stop it, so they just ran with it.

Would love to know what happened there.

'Conspiracy is an agreement between two or more people to commit an illegal act'

These are organised far-right groups. Co-ordinating their actions is part of their raison d'etre no?

But hey whatever, it's all in a day's work I guess.

FBI have protected their confidential sources so I guess we'll never know.

You don't know that anyone could have been arrested, but you do know their agents took part in it?

Why are you quoting 'fascist coup attempt?' "Fascist" is hyperbole, but it was a coup attempt. Don't you agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

Could you read the thread please before jumping in to comment?

First, I linked the document showing that several confidential FBI assets were being protected within PB/OK.

Then I linked to a Washington Post story showing that a paramilitary leader of OK, Caldwell, was an FBI agent and fake/inadvertent rioter. He had been a FBI section chief previously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Im not sure what your point is, are you saying you think there was no evidence of Oath Keepers talking to each other on SignalTelegram, etc and planning the insurrection? I dont have the evidence but I would have thought the FBI should have had all they needed by Jan 5th if they had infiltrated these groups who were planning to stop the election results being certified using violent means. Like they were hardly talking about having a peaceful protest in their social media groups. Even discussing bringing weapons to the Capitol should have been enough to get them arrested.

Like they infiltrated that group of Michigan militias who were planning on kidnapping Gretchen Whitmore and killing her. They didnt allow them to actually try to do it and then arrest them, discussing it was enough to be charged with a crime. Which is why I find it strange that they had Oath Keepers under surveillance yet they were allowed to get to the Capitol on the 6th. Time will tell what the full story is but the whole purpose of infiltrating extremist groups is to prevent them doing the crimes they are planning.

None of us have evidence. Evidence is something presented in a court of law (not just public opinion.) The FBI got the indictment in Michigan as the conspirators were very obliging in their chatting, were well infiltrated and gave a fair bit of notice as I can see from the indictment.

AFAIK the Michiganders were found guilty of conspiracy and various things presented into evidence.

WRT to the suppositions you're making about about the Oathkeepers, I agree they're very suspicious. I expect that if the DOJ and FBI thought they could get an indictment, they would have. You'd have to ask Trump's DOJ why they didn't move forward if in fact suspicions were raised via the FBI, they'd have been the ones overseeing investigations in 2020 and prior to Jan 21.

The FBI had credible information that there were trainees in Michigan (as I recall) who were learning to fly jumbo jets but not land them prior to 9/11 and failed to act on that information as well.

yeah aware of the 9/11 intelligence that wasnt acted upon but that in itself was a watershed moment after which all the three letter intelligence agencies were supposed to act sooner to any threat of terror, domestic or otherwise. Jan 6th should have fallen into that category but becasue it wasnt prevented we are looking at another spectactular failure of intelligence. Which is why Im asking questions as to what the FBI were doing when they had actually infiltrated these groups.

Who knows what the Oathkeepers were discussing via Signal & Telegram in the 10 days leading up to it. At the end of December Trump tweeted 'Jan 6th, be there, its going to be wild' and that was their coded signal that he wanted something to go down at the Capitol, theyve said this in court testmony. So from that tweet on they must have been organising and it wasnt for a peaceful protest. It also has to be remembered that at the Jan 6th rally loads of Trump supporters didnt get in to the Elipse itself becasue they were armed with weapons and they wouldnt be let through the airport style xray machines to gain entry. Trump flipped at the Secret Service when he found out all this armed people were not being let in so we can at least be certain at that point they knew about group of people dressed in militia gear and with arms. Yet they werent rounded up (doesnt DC prevent carrying weapons?) and were allowed to walk to the Capitol to start the riots unhindered.

There is just a hell of a lot of questions to be asked of the intelligence agencies here. Im no conspiracy theorist but all the texts the Secret Service deleted after Jan 6th having been told to preserve them are suspicious, its smacks of some agents who were loyal to Trump as covering their tracks. If agents were pulling for Trump that day and similar was happening within the FBI then the Jan 6th committee has to get to the bottom of it. Not saying thats the case but there are legitimate questions to be asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 82,408 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Welcome back.

We're about an hour away from purportedly the final hearing at least before the midterms.

All reporting to date indicates the hearing will focus on one final aspect of the insurrection from a very important perspective for criminal justice: the mens rea of Donald Trump.

“We’re going to bring a particular focus on the former president’s state of mind and his involvement in these events as they unfolded. What you’re going to see is a synthesis of some evidence we’ve already presented with that new, never-before-seen information to illustrate Donald Trump’s centrality to the scheme from the time prior to the election.”

• Advertisement

Will be tuning in for this one, could be spicy given the amount of new witnesses they have deposed over the summer recess period, starts at 6pm

I have a zoom meeting at start time so I'll be delayed in watching, but looking forward to it.

aw man this is delicious, its a methodical takedown of everything he did after the election until Jan 6th. And all his staff telling him he had lost but him then going doing speeches saying it was stolen

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Key points so far (from CNN):

• "Premeditated plan to declare victory: Deposition video and a memo obtained from the National Archives showed how former Vice President Mike Pence’s Counsel, Greg Jacob, and Pence’s then-chief of staff Marc Short prepared for Trump to declare victory on Election Night, regardless of the results. “We also interviewed Brad Parscale, President Trump’s former campaign manager. He told us he understood that President Trump planned as early as July that he would say he won the election, even if he lost,” committee member Rep. Zoe Lofgren said.
    • Secret Service messages: New Secret Service emails and text messages revealed agents spotted numerous guns in the crowd the morning of Jan. 6 before Trump was set to speak at the Ellipse. Rep. Adam Schiff said that the intelligence indicated multiple online users were targeting members of Congress and instructing others to “start marching into the chambers.” Messages also showed the Secret Service learned about the involvement of right-wing groups such as the Proud Boys and the Oath Keepers.
    • The Supreme Court’s rejected lawsuit: Cassidy Hutchinson, the former top aide to White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows, said Trump said he didn’t want “people to know we lost” after the Supreme Court rejected a lawsuit challenging the election in December 2020. “Just fyi. POTUS is pissed – breaking news – Supreme Court denied his law suit. He is livid now,” a Secret Service email said, presented by Rep. Adam Kinzinger.
    • Trump knew he lost — but tried to change results anyway: Hutchinson also told the committee last month that Meadows told her in early 2021 that Trump knew that he lost the election, despite asking officials in Georgia to “find” the votes necessary for Trump to win the state. “And he’s like, ‘No, Cass, you know, he knows it’s over. He knows he lost. But we’re going to keep trying,’” Hutchinson told the committee."

• Registered Users Posts: 39,851 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So are they going to show stuff from the danish filmmakers ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Wait, didn't we hear on one of the Trump Presidency threads that there were no guns in DC at the insurrection?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think they showed a bit, mostly relating to Roger Stone.

It's certainly a very feckless attempt to "WMD" into existence some semblance of "truthiness" that there were no guns at the insurrection when in fact, there were many guns at the insurrection, with some conspirators even expressing (this is in the court record) that they regret not bringing in even more guns, long guns.

It is emerging that most everyone wanted people to leave the Capitol once there was violence and storming...

....except for one person...

THE PRESIDENT

President Evil Eejit Trump

• Advertisement

Did they ? Ah okay I only started watching it properly at 7pm.

Previously unseen footage.

Scary

How fearful must those congressional leaders have been, but Nancy Pelosi is trying to Lead and help.

And the one person who rigged this and could control it and turn it around? He is doing nothing

And the video of Pelosi in a military base on Jan 6th trying to organise a National Guard response is a classic example of the phrase 'a lie gets half way around the world before the truth has even put its boots on' - iRepublicans have told the lie that Pelosi was to blame for Jan 6th because she refused Trumps authorisation to send the National Guard in.

As laid bare by Sean Hannity on Fox News-

Hannity repeatedly claimed that Trump authorized 20,000 National Guard troops for the Capitol before the riot, and that the former president’s efforts to secure the building were thwarted by House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y.

"If Donald Trump authorized up to 20,000 National Guard troops to protect the Capitol, how does it make sense that they are there on national television blaming Donald Trump for wanting to start an insurrection?" Hannity said on his June 9 show. He repeated the claim several times in the hour, often blaming Pelosi and Schumer, and again the following night. 

Doesnt stack up very well now against actual video of her and Schummer trying to organise a National Guard response when Trump himself did nothing. Captiol Police intelligence even suggested that the National Guard be there on the day on Jan 3rd as they had got wind of online threats of violence and guns but the response back from Trumps office was that the National Guard thought that 'the optics woudnt look good'if they were there, yeah right

yeah I think just purely for the political theatre they will schedule one more hearing to wrap the whole story up but this time it will at prime time. I want to see Liz Cheney ringing Mar a Lago live on air and asking to speak to Trump 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just because they subpoenaed Trump for testimony doesn't mean that even if Trump agreed to testify, that he'd do so publicly. If anything, the testimony and questioning would likely be several hours and with some stuff even the Committee wouldn't want made public (as it may affect other legal proceedings).

Trump's not going to testify under oath publicly (if at all). The Committee wouldn't allow him to speak at a Hearing unless it was under oath (to avoid him just rambling, grandstanding and soapboxing).

I doubt there'll be another Hearing. If the GOP take control of House or Senate, the whole Committee and subpoena might never see the light of day again.

But, it's now public that he's been subpoenaed, and the Committee have carefully, thoroughly and publicly demonstrated why they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,309 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Netflix will have a good night so if it's in prime time.

• Advertisement

Holy ****.

Here are some of these emails.

The emails, as produced to the committee, included formatting errors that removed “i”s and “l”s. POLITICO has included the missing letters for clarity.

"The po[i]nt [i]s to have the court say that probab[l]y the e[l]ect[i]on was vo[i]d"

"Possibly Thomas would end up being the key here -- circuit justice, right? We want to frame things so that Thomas could be the one to issue some sort of stay or other circuit justice opinion saying Georgia is in legitimate doubt. Realistically, our only chance to get a favorable judicial opinion by Jan. 6, which might hold up the Georgia count in Congress, is from Thomas -- do you agree, Prof. Eastman?"

This is one of the emails which Eastman records Trump is duly informed that many of his election fraud claims are categorically inaccurate.

As circuit judge over Georgia, Clarence Thomas is in a unique position of power to block or delay all sorts of judicial actions in that federal jurisdiction.

Advertisement