Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

I don't find the ride hard, not on the T5 anyway, I think it provides a nice balance between comfort and handling.

I do remember Fits commenting that she found it hard but I wouldn't like it like the Outlander, like a boat! I took it on some back roads this morning to work and I was quite happy with it, it is a nice car to drive.

Definitely though the software implementation is shyte. One prime example is that in my opinion of course, there should be a menu of frequent accessed functions always on top like Radio rather than having to go through menus, that's a joke. Simple stuff like this.

Browsing and scrolling google maps via android auto is very sluggish, whether this is VW or Android auto related or both I don't know but it's not nice to use when scrolling through the map, drives me up the wall.

There should be always on top info like outside temp, radio channel, current inside temp, fan speed etc, or have it so you can customise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

Mad lad,sit in the back and have someone drive you around some crap country roads then report back on the ride quality,admittedly the front is a great deal more comfortable proposition,ideally what I want is someone to build an i3 that's 25% bigger has conventional doors and 5 seats,or an ioniq 28 that does 350km.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

I have to say I can’t fault the T5 for ride, I find it extremely well planted and soaks up the road- that said I never sit in the back- the id4 loaner I had was terrible and wallowed in the bends. To go from that to the i3 is tiresome, one pedal driving has become a pain in the hole, constantly feathering the accelerator to prevent it going by 3 bars of regen and flashing the brake lights repeatedly, find myself using cruise control whenever I can which isn’t ideal-

D mode any day of the week- my i3 suspension was always hard, it’s also lowered so it’s ever harder now , handles great but speed ramps can be harsh . Ditto a 350km range Ioniq , I’d also love the i3 to do that too, and be 25% bigger ! Still a great car and future classic ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

I find the ride a bit hard too but it handles well on the country roads. I’d probably notice it more in wexford where the roads are shite.

@mad lad any word on your update? I tried phoning today. They said they’d call me back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Comer1

I don't care about anyone in the back ☺️ the Boys never complained, in

fact my youngest loves back roads in the car.

i3 was fine but a lot bouncier and it was harsher on broken town streets and over speed bumps, I find the id3 a lot more comfortable on broken town roads and especially speed bumps. I did find the i3 more fun though, probably because it was a lot lighter, dunno, there's just something special about BMW.

You and Fits sound like ye would prefer the Outlander style suspension, it really does soak up broken country roads and town but the downside is that the handling is poor. It's a good motorway cruiser too though.

I did find the id.4 a lot firmer and found it crashes over bumps a lot worse than the T5. In my opinion, going cheap and using only stiffness to improve handling but at the same time sacrificing comfort.

However, you always have the option to replace the shocks and springs to improve the comfort but it needs to be setup that it can take the weight of the car esp with 82 Kwh batteries. I'd say the spring setup is fine for the weight and a softer shock would do the job, wouldn't be too expensive but you don't know whether you'd be happy with the end result, it would be handy to know first if they were actually softer than stock shocks.

I'd wonder how the cars with adaptive suspension perform ? is there a notable difference ? Shame the 82 Kwh cars didn't have it. But to be honest I'm happy with the t5.

I sonder is the Tour suspension different, maybe it's firmer than the T5 ?

Now word yet, do you have PJ's email ? I find it easier to get to them via PJ. If not PM me and I'll give it to you.

You can change the shocks in the car for softer ones, Monroe shocks would probably do the job, shouldn't be too expensive, call up advanced pit stop in Carlow ( or whatever they're called now ) and tell them what you're looking for, I would say the springs are good enough. Who knows the new shocks might even provide the same level of handling with better comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

I was dealing with a different man. I’ll drop him an email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I don't think softer shocks would make it better. I think the shocks are under damped and that's why the cars are so bouncy on a poor road.

I definitely never found the ride hard in mine, even on 20's, but it can be very bouncy. Probably depends on what you are used to driving.

• Advertisement

I don't find the i3 bouncy, the i3, now that was bouncy, it's small size didn't help.

What i3 have you again ?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

T5 booked in for update on the 6th Oct. Asked the lads how the found the comfort in the back. Best of the cars we had was the answer. For something on 19” wheels and nearly 2 ton I find it handles brilliantly and is very composed, refined and comfortable. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

Got my ID3 back today after 2.4 update washed and charged. Had single zone climate and have dual zone now 😀. Ready now for 3.0. 2 days in workshop.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭DermoMIO

Anybody’s car sim have no signal ? Mines been gone since I got in it @ 8 this morning. It might magically come back tomorrow like the app did during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I have the chance to take a brand new id3 business model it's 58kwh battery pack. I was hoping to get a 77kwh but all orders on that seems to be on hold.

I just do short town driving and the odd hour trip home. I haven't got home charging yet and there could be some issues there but I do have the option to charge at work.

Whats the real world range of the id3.

Should I go for it or wait for the 77kwh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Mr Q

On certain roads near me I find it noticeably bouncier than my last few cars.

It is a base model 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭VWPAT

Mine had no signal on wednesday and app was not working. Had 2.4 update on thursday and all is working on return. Read on a german forum that there server problems. Had 2.0 tdi t roc as a loaner and the id.3 is by far a nicer vehicle to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Real world 300kms +

58kw will do you fine assuming you can charge at destinations, but same would be true of 77kw

77kw will be a fair bit more expensive and you might never use the extra range.

Even if the hour trip home is all motorway at 120kms you could do it there and back on a charge even in winter, although you might want to back off top motorway speeds a bit when really cold.

The rare long trips you can always get a public charge somewhere anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

I have the 58kw Pro basic Life model..Like yourself mainly town driving and odd trip..It's perfect if your not doing a long daily commute.

October 2021..

Winter milage..230..280km....Summer 330 to 370...Both on 80% charge..It's all about the Heat..Cold in winter Bad mileage, summer not an issue..

Don't waste your money on a 77 as you may never need it...Just my opinion for what it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RevID3

We live in hope as they say

Anyone have an idea when the OTA 3 will hit Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

I have the business model and love it. Two things that are great about it: no glass roof and the IQ matrix headlights. I never wanted a glass roof because it makes the car harder to keep warm in winter and harder to keep cool in summer and that uses energy. Also, I feel that cars are more solid with an integrated roof rather than a separate panel in a different material. Then I heard the widespread reports about glass roofs creaking on these cars.

And the matrix headlights are absolutely brilliant (literally).

I use it more or less the way you do. Short commutes and school runs, monthly journeys to visit the in-laws in the midlands. I also charge at work and have a home charger that I'm not using that much at the moment.

You could be waiting a long time for a 77kWh model and the matrix headlights are not available on the Life DX model they're currently flogging. I'd grab that business model if you can.

I have the Tour 5 77 Kwh, believe me, having the extra range when you need it is bloody fantastic, can never have enough range. I've had to rely a couple of times on Public charging this year and it's a real pain in the arse especially in areas with a poor network and many areas on the Island still only have 1 charger and if 1 is down then you might have to find an AC point and have a very long wait.

Having the larger battery also means I can suck more out of the work charge points too, when they offer V2G I can use that electricity to power the house and still have plenty of range.

I wonder how many Kwh are available from the 58 Kwh because the tour 5 only has 73 Kwh when new due to a lot of Kwh been hidden. Now I have 68 Kwh available after almost a year and 40K Kms. So in reality, the 77 Kwh isn't going to offer 77 kwh even when new.

If I could get a car with 90 or 100 Kwh I would.

The other issue is that the id3 charges too slow at DC chargers in 2022 it's ridiculous, currently you have to get to a charger at a very low SOC to make it worth while paying more for ionity but arriving at a charger from 30% or more then Ionity is a complete and utter waste.

My advice is get the largest battery you can afford.

What’s the actual wait time for the 77kwh?

If it’s reasonable I’d wait, there’s a reason the elder statesmen of the ev world here are all in Tour’s, it’s because we learned the hard way-

That said, a Business spec 58kwh over a DX is a no brainer - If you absolutely don’t need the range go for it- the opportunity may not come again- an id3 dx without matrix is a no go at €40,587, there’s a few Renault fan boys who think the id3 is pants and the new Megane will be the holy grail, I’d defo have a business 58kw over the Renault ..

Comparing the spec for the new niro ev to the dx is embarrassing for vw, for €4K extra you’d be mad to not buy the Kia …

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Batterylife announced 10k ID.3 and ID.4s to be recalled for faulty battery modules. I knew it. Apparently VW found out about battery problems because the car is "connected". VW in cork was laughing at me until they couldnt run a SOH test. My car is in the garage since 16th of August for the modules replacement....

Post edited by Rusky rusky on

Fair play Rusky for sticking with it …..’it’s not us, it’s you’ comes to mind- a battle like that can be very very stressful so it’s nice to have concrete proof that your not going mad 👍🏻

I'm hoping that capacity doesn't drop too much more, 11 months and 39,300 Kms and 73.5 Kwh out of 77 but 68 Kwh usable.

In my opinion that means degradation is on the higher side especially considering there's around 10 Kwh of a buffer ( What ???? ) yes it's a very large buffer. 82 Kwh battery.

Yes, I know I'm comparing it to the BMW i3 94 Ah ( 33 Kwh ) but as I said, after nearly 5 years and 143,000 Kms later that battery showed absolutely no degradation and it's a tiny battery cycled much more and brought down regularly to 6% because I had the Rex as a backup I could run the battery down to 6% minimum and get as much out of the battery than you would normally with a BEV.

If the trend continues then this time next year I will have around 69 Kwh available and around 64 Kwh usable. Basically it means at the current trend I'll have around 60 Kwh at year 3 at roughly 120,000 Kms.

It looks like the 58 Kwh has roughly 54 Kwh available when new, if the same buffer exists.

The thing is that we'll never know if and when they alter the battery in some way to make degradation much slower or even faster, so a ID car bought now or next year might have different batteries altogether, we just never really know.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Literally just came looking at this thread to post about this.

Generally degradation should slow down after the initial hit of it.

So the drop in capacity at 120 k kms shouldn't be as much as your current projection.

Unless there's an as yet undiagnosed issue with your car.

Also if this degradation was to be typical across the 77 kwh cars.

Then VW have the option of unlocking the 5 kwh buffer via software updates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

Just watched Battery Lifes video on the battery problem. Not great for VW, looks like there are a lot of cars out there that will need modules replaced. At least it looks as though your car can be checked over the air to see if you have the problem.

I don't think my (ex) car was affected, range was very constant right up to time I sold. Could always rely on 3 to 4 km/% depending upon conditions.

Advertisement