Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2022 - No PM requests - See Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭sligopaul

That seems a good quote in the current environment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭skippy123!

I kind of had a feeling this is the case... I am loosing hope really now... I have contacted around 60 companies from SEAI page and it seems like every single one for that type of set up wanted to charge over 12k after grant.. I don't know what to do anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Hey, if all your quotes are close on price then that's likely the market price at the moment sadly.

But let's you split it out. Assuming the battery is 2.4k (at the guide here of 1.2k per kWh but I've no idea of battery costs), then the panels are 1.6k per kWp. That's what I paid. Higher than the guide price here of 1.2kWp but I never managed to get a quote that low. If your roof is tricky (our is and split over 4 small roofs), it's gonna cost more as they need more time.

I'd suggest drop the battery and go for panels only. And squeeze in more if you can (so engine is bigger and get more FIT in time). Battery is a nice to have now. If you have an EV, or will, that sits in the driveway a lot that's the biggest battery you'll every have. A Zappi can charge that from excess solar.

Scrap an Eddi too if you're getting quoted for that. Go for vanilla (IE panels only) and max out on that.

Option2, try solar as a service as a comparison. Upfront cost disappears

• Registered Users Posts: 45,463 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Don't rule a battery out. I'd much prefer a system with a battery pack than relying on a FIT. A day night meter and battery system will probably trump a FIT for most people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

My take, correct me if I am wrong,

1) If you can use during the day, battery less useful

2) If you cannot use during the day, then battery more useful

3) If you have a bigger system, and can generate more than you can use, then you have to weigh up the costs of battery (fixed) versus FIT (variable and not guaranteed over time)

4) If you have a huge system, then you can reap benefit on both

5) Depending on cost, go for a) more panels and bigger inverter, and b) battery

Above those not take into consideration an EV (massive initial cost and huge battery replacement costs), and the hope that new tech can lead to V2H or V2G, or the like of TESLAWALL being licenced

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Wow a high one..

16 panel system €14,341.00

4.8kw Battery & hybrid inverter €5,175

Eddi hot water module €721

TOTAL €20,237

Less Grant €2,400

Total NET €17,837

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Run away. That’s nuts. Hope it’s not reflective of where things are price wise currently.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Go the non grant route, try some competent RECI contractors in your locality, the grant system is just free money for the installers, there appears to be very little difference between alot of installers.I would not be surprised if they are talking to each other and setting prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Not sure what the best place is but I got all my gear from Kellihers Electrical. Pricing was competitive 145 plus vat for 400w panels.

☀️

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭skippy123!

I was thinking of that myself... It seems like "Speciallised" solar companies does charge more then regular purchese + a good certified sparky would charge. I do have a EV so that is one thing why I wanted to have a battery that I can use to "top up" my car battery when needed in case there is not much usage wihin the house so I still get some free charging out of it...

I would agree that this guidenece needs to change... I don't think that panels are anymore 1200 euro per kwp. I think this is more like 1400 now considering what I was getting so far.

If I was to go with just an electrician and buy things myself from a regular seller - is there any conditions to be satisfied for BER rating? Or anything else in that matter?

You could try Solarcity and Midsummer renewables, also Failte Solar in Shannon.My RECI got my panels and micro inverters from CT electric in Galway(got his normal trade discount) and the Eddie from Midsummer.Your local RECI should be able to source the materials with his local wholesaler at a competitive price but be aware material prices have risen recently.

My job was done in early May, it was six panels totaling 2.49 kwp plus micro inverters and eddi was late addition, installation was on ground floor extension roof with chimney(why I needed micro inverters),install was done in a day by sparks but he had help of roofer to attach rails for panels.Total price was 3100E for the six panels and eddie, roofer was paid by me and that was 150e.

PS. forgot to mention that 3 regular solar companies wanted 5- 6k for the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 intershtellar

Today's Sunday Independent has a rule of thumb figure of between 1,500 and 2,000 per KW excluding VAT. They mustn't have read this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Thanks for that, clearly people are paying through the nose for installation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭crisco10

Either way, it's ex VAT!

By that rule of thumb, the lads in Enniskillen are giving me a 5kwh battery for free when they install in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

First quote in the bag - any opinions so i know where to go from here:

3.28 system with 5.12 kwh battery & Eddi €10k after grant

8 * Jinko 410 W

Sofarsolar HYD 5kw

Sofarsolar Battery GTX5000

Eddi

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

seems expensive? i just booked our install for 11,600 after grant.. thats 16 410w panels at 6.6kw potential generation, hybrid invertor and 8.2kw battery.. no eddi included as they didnt have them in stock ber assessment for grant included

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Archer Hack

Seem reasonable or too much? Will not be grant eligible and have no need for eddi (heatpump)

I see above quote with "giveenergy" gear seems like better bang for buck just havent heard of that brand gear before and the ones quoted seem well known.

12 x Longi Mono 405W Solar Panels (2 rows of 6)

1 x Solis 5kW Hybrid Inverter

1 x Pylontech 3.6kwh Battery

1 x Wifi Stick

Installation etc.

11,650 before grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Sounds like they took it directly of the SEAI FAQ page:

1.5. How much do solar panels cost? The cost of purchasing and installing solar panels has come down considerably over the last 10 years. The cost of a solar PV system depends on a range of factors including the hardware chosen, size of system, accessibility of the roof or site, and the installer used. Broadly speaking home PV systems should range from around €1,500 - €2,000 per kW installed (ex-VAT), but prices will vary depending on the factors mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I've been quoted much worse than that for a similar system. I've given up for now as it's just a massive pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fergalmurphy

Two quotes in:

Quote 1:

10 x 395 Jinko Panels, Sofar Inverter (assuming this is a 4KW, confirming with them), installation, etc.. 6K after grant, additional 3200 for 5kw battery and 750 for eddi

Quote 2:

12 x 405 Longi panels, Solis 6KW Inverter, Eddi, installation etc... 7700 after grant… additional 800 for hybrid inverter and 3K for 5kw battery

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

I have one solar salesperson really trying to push Denim rather than Solis.

Denim quote below which is 2k+ more expensive that Solis. Is Denim really worth that?

8 x 400w Tier 1 Denim Glass to Glass Mono Crystyline with 35 year Warranty

1 x SolarEdge Hybrid Inverter

1 x Hot Water Diverter

8 x Optimizers

Arc Protection

No battery.

€10300 with grant of €2200 giving a net of €8,500

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭DC999

Save the 2k. No, there's very little difference. Panels are panels pretty much. I got sucked into Glass to Glass Mono Crystyline panels that have a guarantee of 25 years, and they have a video of a large van driving over them and performance is unaffected. Mine aren't denim. While I am reassured they are good kit and will last, I realise now that I overpaid. Reason is I'm not gonna have them up 25 years. I'll upgrade at least some of them to high output ones in years to come when efficiency gets higher.

If it's the same company pushing one brand over another, they might get a better margin with them. Or have spare kit them want to get rid of. As in doesn't mean the kit is better.

Better still, get more panels and use a portion of the 2k saved that way. Panels themselves cost 150-200 plus time to install. So they have already quoted for their time, they can add on more panels and labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Thank you for the good advice DC999, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BarrowBoard

I've just been given a quote of €10,265 for 12 QCell panels and a Solis Inverter. Seems a bit high to me, especially when compared to quotes mentioned here...... Salesman did his best to reassure me that the cost per month of the loan would be almost completely offset by savings in electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

Has anyone gotten the solar as a service, what size battery do they provide? I'm assuming a battery is on top of the quoted €29.50

Also what size array do they put up for the minimum price, I've a south facing roof and only use about 4000 unit annually so wouldn't need the biggest set up.

I've gotten a few quotes and so far getting a SAAS solution would be the cheapest.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,328 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Salesman is doing what many salesmen tend to do. Spoofing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement