Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

That's the funniest thing I've read in ages 😂😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I'm glad you find minesterial incompetence so amusing. Goes a long way to explaining the "quality" of your posts. 👍

I'm honestly chuckling at how triggered some of ye are about smart meters

Some are giving out that they are a waste and shouldn't have been installed while others are moaning that the installs have not resulted in switches to smart plans while at the same time moaning about the regulator taking action against suppliers for crap plans.

Others are complaining about the waste of "taxpayer" money when it wasn't the taxpayer that funded it.

It's hard to keep up with the shifting goalposts of complaints but it is funny to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Who funded it ? who installed them I have one they did not say they were from the ESB they just wanted to know when the box was open. So were saying a new minister would not check what plans are in place. And then Set out to find out about the roll out and what communication was done with energy companies and what tariffs they were going to offer. This is the usual Government defence something goes wrong minister has no input. Goes right hand fitted every meter. 🤪 Seems no minister checks what was going on or legacy items that will be rolling out. 🤡 🌎️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one. Every single scheme they come out with is a moneyspinner to enrich some clique. There's a whole underbelly of consultants and qualified installers who are connected to the greens. If I had put in my solar panels the official grant-supported SEAI way the payback period would be 10+ years instead of the 2.5-4 I am expecting now. Their main business is further squeezing the squeezed middle & they have a vendetta against rural dwellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭ps200306

Different people having different complaints about smart meters is not "shifting the goal posts". It just mean there are several things to complain about. You're right it's not the "tax payer" funding it -- it's individual electricity customers, which is pretty much everyone.

Sure can't we pray it away ? Are we trying to suggest people not agreeing are Right wing and also Religious. I'm neither.

Who funded it?

You did -- though €5.50 a year added to your bill for the next 20 years. This will pay back the loan that ESB Networks took from the European Investment Bank (the EU's climate bank, advised by Green activists and vested interests) to pay for the rollout. However, that's only a small fraction of the cost (about 12%). The rest will be charged to electricity suppliers for use of the electricity network. They will be paying that themselves out of the goodness of their hearts.*

Allegedly it could save you 2.5% on your bills through "increased awareness of your consumption". In case that sounds like some sort of Jedi force field where just thinking about your consumption makes it go down, no -- I presume it means you have to think about it and then turn stuff off. Any savings are probably negligible compared to your standing charges.

And in any case, none of the best electricity offers in Ireland are with a smart meter tariff (source). In other words, they are a total boondoggle.

(* only joking ... you'll be paying for that too in higher costs, obviously).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

They are being installed by the ESB on foot of a 150 million euro loan from the European Investment Bank. A loan that like all other loans will have to be paid back with interest.

So who will be paying that 150 million + interest back other than the taxpayer. The greens magic money tree ?

• Advertisement

No no you will sleep with the washing machine and tumble dryer on. Cook your food in bulk at 1am. Hover at 1am all the good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Just offer green electricity at a different rate, you sign up voluntarily to pay the extra charge. The extra charge funds building additional green energy.

Only a small minority we are told are against green policies. Surely carbon based energy would perish over time as no customers sign up for the cheaper dirty source.

Minister Ryan only has support in affluent areas. It’s a feel good party, where you can continue to produce more carbon than the national average, but do so knowing you did your bit and voted green!!

Dont forget to grow your salad in your window box, wouldn’t want you to lose touch with reality.

Or you could have a green tax you can pay into any amount you like I'm sure the leafy suburbs would love to pay a tax like that. You get a wristband with how much you have paid.

@Pa ElGrande, this is the best (a.k.a scariest) post I've seen on this thread. This link in particular is the most damning indictment of the profligate Green agenda. Tough one for the zealots on here to blame on climate denying loons as it comes from a knight of the realm, honoured for "services to the environment, energy and utilities policy", and author of the UK's 2017 independent Cost of Energy Review. It's similar to some of the Irish Academy of Engineering's publications calling on the government to come clean with the public on the true cost of renewables.

Prof Helm boils it down to one pithy point -- someone has to pay for the intermittency. Pretty much everything in his report applies to Ireland also. You could pick any of a number of money quotes from his executive summary, but this one resonates:

6) In the current decade, the government has moved from mainly market-determined investments to a new context in which almost all new electricity investments are determined by the state through direct and often technology-specific contracts. Government has got into the business of ‘picking winners’. Unfortunately, losers are good at picking governments, and inevitably – as in most such picking-winners strategies – the results end up being vulnerable to lobbying, to the general detriment of household and industrial customers.

Unfortunately Ireland seems particularly prone to attracting such opportunists -- whether it's Tesco internally referring to Ireland as "Treasure Island", international venture funds sweating their Irish property assets to the max, or "Big Wind" charging us more than twice as much as the UK for onshore wind, we have been getting gouged. As Helm notes, we have not only built up huge legacy costs in the form of strike prices we are tied to for decades ahead, but we are lumbered with the bills for all the associated backup and infrastructure required for when the wind doesn't blow.

His solution is that anyone tendering to provide renewable power would have to also bid an equivalent amount of firm power. I'm not sure I share his optimism that anyone would then tender for renewables at all. But at least he has the courage to say that carbon pricing would be used to materialise the costs to end customers in a very direct way. In other words, if we're going to kill the economy let the public know it through their wallets, instead of governments pretending that there is some sort of cost-free easy transition while merely delaying the true reckoning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

I blame the Jesuits and the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact. Have you read Laudato si'? It's a wish list of green doom goblins catastrophism. He frames climate change as affecting affecting the poor, yet he completely ignores what has helped the world’s poor more than anything: namely, the march of markets and technology, which has lifted billions out of destitution in his own life time! He's all over the place in that encyclical conflating a whole load of issues.

28. Fresh drinking water is an issue of primary importance, since it is indispensable for human life and for supporting terrestrial and aquatic ecosystems. Sources of fresh water are necessary for health care, agriculture and industry. Water supplies used to be relatively constant, but now in many places demand exceeds the sustainable supply, with dramatic consequences in the short and long term. Large cities dependent on significant supplies of water have experienced periods of shortage, and at critical moments these have not always been administered with sufficient oversight and impartiality. Water poverty especially affects Africa where large sectors of the population have no access to safe drinking water or experience droughts which impede agricultural production. Some countries have areas rich in water while others endure drastic scarcity.

29. One particularly serious problem is the quality of water available to the poor. Every day, unsafe water results in many deaths and the spread of water-related diseases, including those caused by microorganisms and chemical substances. Dysentery and cholera, linked to inadequate hygiene and water supplies, are a significant cause of suffering and of infant mortality. Underground water sources in many places are threatened by the pollution produced in certain mining, farming and industrial activities, especially in countries lacking adequate regulation or controls. It is not only a question of industrial waste. Detergents and chemical products, commonly used in many places of the world, continue to pour into our rivers, lakes and seas.

As an example, he includes a lack of fresh drinking water in some areas. He claims that water suitable for drinking “is a basic and universal human right.” which I do agree, but in much of the underdeveloped world, human overuse isn’t responsible for the scarcity of drinking water; rather, lack of technology to discover, pump, and purify water is the issue. Bringing clean water to Africa’s poor, for instance, has nothing to do with Europeans or other wealthy peoples using too much of their own water. Instead, the solution lies in transferring the tools we have developed for ourselves—technologies that have drastically reduced disease and dehydration—to the poor.

Poverty is no solution to any environmental problem, this is known, below a certain income peoples only concern is survival. The reason being when you are insecure on a day-to-day basis, you don't know where your next meal is coming from, you're not paying attention to the broader environment around you.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

Just a reminder to everybody. You are under no obligation to accept a smart meter, though the power companies or their contractors will try everything in their power to get you to accept one. They cannot do so without the permission of the property holder. Leave it to the early adopters to have their power shut off remotely when Eamon Ryan's winter power cuts start.

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Who funded it then. The ESBn's only source of funds is directly or indirectly the taxpayer.

I'm a Catholic (though not a good one). Laudato Si was the last encyclical I bothered to read from this pope, before he had become a complete embarrassment. It's technophobic quasi-Marxist twaddle. One of his prime examples of dangerous technology is air conditioning! He seems completely devoid of understanding of finance and economics. Maybe that's why he's currently embroiled in a scandal about the Vatican purchase of London property assets. In L.S. he bemoans "speculation and the pursuit of financial gain", as if green investing (which he has just committed the Vatican to) isn't exactly that. Anyway, he's saved me a few quid as I stopped contributing to Vatican and general Catholic Church funds a few years back, thanks to him.

Way off topic but you know you can't be an observant Catholic (large C) while denouncing the pope, right? The pope is god's representative on earth. It is like folks that claim to be observant Catholics but don't believe in direct transubstantiation.

Or... like trying to implement credible green policies but instead believe in sleepy ryan's nonsense!

• Advertisement

Which is a method of leverage, not of direct funding. The funds have to be repaid by ESBn who generate income either directly or indirectly from?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,069 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I have no idea who you are directing that post at as I have not seen any climate change deniers here, and while not having a doctorate in canon law my understanding of the Pope`s infallibility is only on teachings of faith and morality.

I don`t believe there is much of anything in the bible that says we all have to follow the Irish Green Party ideology to get to heaven, and much of that ideology is morally questionable anyway Even for those that may still believe in Catholic Church teaching on infallibility.

Btw his title is not Pope and there was no such infallibility before the First Vatican Council of 1870.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Mebuntu

They certainly will try. I've had two unannounced house calls to install a smart meter claiming I had agreed appointments. I felt sorry for (and was polite to) the installer himself who had been put in an embarrassing position.

There will be no smart meter in this house. I already monitor usage and have submitted accurate readings for years.

Also will not be getting into debt with installing a useless heat pump nor do I want my house to be turned into an extremely unhealthy hermetically sealed box.

Not true at all ... The Pope's view on climate change is no more than his own flawed opinion. Also, there have been some pretty bad Popes in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Ah choices, choices, who to heed,the Pope or IL Duce Ryan who issues edicts and decrees from Merrion street. To the likes of DeCor,Ryan and the greens are infallible, the similarities between religion and Greenism is frightening.

Agreed. I am not going to get one either and will continue to tell them ‘I’ll let you know’.

I watch TV when I watch TV, I have the lights on when I need to see, and I don’t use a dryer. That’s about it. Have a highly efficient brand new oil boiler and the immersion switch is taped off.

I’ll submit my readings, but there is absolutely no way I’m having those guys mess around with my billing and supply

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭paddyisreal

I remember reading an article a while back on how these air tight houses can cause serious health issues due to the lack of ventilation. The build up of gases internally must cause some kind of problem .

And if you live in a radon area, even one with modest levels, you’re meant to keep your house as ventilated as possible. Advise from our own EPA.

I presume to get around the ventilation issue in new builds they all have some sort of HVAC system ( more electricity) installed or is it just have your heat pump on with the windows open ! Just on anecdotally speaking to a few these houses are uncomfortable warm for summer months also

• Advertisement

If the bogs weren't enough for Eamon Ryan and his euro friends it now wants to rewet perfectly good drained land. What does he propose to do with all the families and farms on this land ? I'm begging to think the Brita were right and get the **** away from the EU.

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/news/farmer-fury-builds-over-proposed-eu-rewetting-law-42018151.html

Advertisement