Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

So two wrongs make a right, is that what you're saying?

Mad Vlad is waving his nukes around in an irresponsible manner, so we should just copy his behaviour?

Sounds like an odd stance to take. Is this the road to the moral high ground, or have we taken a slight detour somewhere along the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

You can't walk away from the Nuclear threats they need to be met with force and stipulation there will be retaliation. Either that or everyone with nukes can just invade somewhere and go now what we have nukes. The whole point of nukes was they are not a first resort weapon. There a guarantee this kind of stuff does not happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes indeed, nuclear weapons since WW2 were supposed to be a deterrent and to prevent a country from being attacked or invaded. They were never supposed to be used while attacking and attempting to colonise another country.....use of one in this context would be terrorist state behaviour, pure and simple.

• Advertisement

Strategic ambiguity isn't a non threatening stance though.

It is essentially letting your enemy think you might want to nuke them.

Ambiguity is the last thing you want floating around, when nuclear war is being talked about. Particularly if you think, as many around here do, that Putin might not be the full shilling. Confused ambiguous messages, mixed with the typical American aggressive tone of language, isn't a great combination.

Really these people should be trying to cool tensions around nuclear weapons, not throwing around veiled counter threats. Everybody loses if any of these threats become reality. So they serve very little purpose other than trying to make yourself look tough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There would be a moderately loud noise, but I doubt much else.In fairness, I have never been in a tank hit by anything bigger than a rifle round, so I’m no expert, but considering how loud your own tank firing isn’t, I can’t imagine a smaller impact at the other end “knocking you around” a bit. Vibrations might affect the stabilization system. It would definitely cause you some pucker moment, though, just because you know someone out there has the capability to hit you, and he might have either a second round or a friend who does.

In fairness, I doubt that there is a soldier on either side who does not have some form of cutting edge, be it knife, multi tool or bayonet.

I never said anything about Russia not being irresponsible.

America and Russia are actually remarkably similar historically, in both attitudes and rhetoric when it comes to conflict.

It just so happens that Russia are the ones currently throwing their weight around more right now. But America's aggressive approach to conflict resolution, isn't a particularly clever or effective strategy. It rarely gets the results they seem to think it will.

PS. The only time I've heard the term "ORC" being used, was from some Celtic fans towards the blue half of the city. So I'm a bit puzzled, are you labelling me a Glasgow Rangers fan because you disagree with my opinion on a thread about Russia?

Either way I'm offended. That's considerably worse than any insult you could have thrown at me, regarding Russia or this war. lol

Just to add there is a bit of a myth around reactive armour. My understanding is it's supposed to save the crew and stop the tank being completely knocked out. Thus being able to be recovered and repaired. Abrams have been lost but they don't have the same reactive stuff the Brits have. A challenger 2 was hit multiple times IIRC Driver lost a leg Tanks repaired. No challengers have been lost. Not saying the abrams is bad at all just different systems. Brits seem really good at the armour and gyro stabilisers USA target optics. Smooth or riffled barrel not much diff. USA again prob on the shells but no idea.

Unless celtic fans are from Mordor ? It's a lord of the rings reference.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,321 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

ARAT (Abrams Reactive Armor Tiles) can be fitted to the M1, but on the flanks. The US believes the frontal armor is enough, and in fairness, it’s extremely thick. Those 70 tons go somewhere, and it’s not on the roof like Challenger. The bow armor on Challenger 2 looks like reactive but is actually appliqué composite.

Not sure where you’re getting that the British stab system is better. If CR2 has any particularly good feature, it’s the running gear. (Tracks and suspension)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

It's quite interesting to read the various opinions and discussions between those Boardsies born in the '90's or even late 80''s as they may have missed the bulk of the Cold War.

As a 70's child, I distinctly remember much, much more tension and heightened readiness during certain periods of the Cold War. I hail from a military family so, growing up, we were particularly aware of operations, threats, tensions that were much, much worse that what the younger folks are worriedly discussing in interesting cross-discussions. ( apart from the "Orc" discussion, which is just Wokey nonsense. I have a suggestion to settle the argument. Visit your local Ukranian Refugee centre and ask one of the folks there what they think of your discussion. Should settle it fairly quickly)

I digress. Anyway, living in a world with no mobile phones allowed for easy eavesdropping on conversations from the phone in the hall and around the kitchen sink. In the 80's, Ireland was under immense pressure to join Nato. There was great interest in our aviation infrastructure at the time. Plus there were many, many close calls between the two superpowers.

Both Powers were watching each society with great interest, looking for clues that one side or the other were preparing for war. For example, a blood drive might indicate preparing for the influx of wounded during a battle. Things like that.

In 1983, I was a teen and distinctly remember the excitement around an operation called Able Archer, where NATO conducted an excercise where by, in the story, Russia has invaded some European states and, in order to stop the push forward, NATO has resorted to using a nuclear weapon. ( ring any bells, in the reverse). The excercise was so real to the Russians, that the prepared their nuclear weapons, causing the US to go to Defcon 1. ( higher than the Cuban Missile Crisis). Only the Back Channel communications averted a war.

That brings me to Back channels. What politicians say in Public in one thing, as they speak to three audiences. But what happens in the back rooms and on secure data streams is something totally different. Russia and the US are in constant, private communication, all the time. So read through the Bluster and calm down. The US will know when Russia are likely to use a Nuke well before anyone else. I can see their use only in the circumstances I mentioned on other pages.

I keep saying this, and the older folk know what I mean. NATO and the US want a conventional war with Russia. Its the very, very thing that Russia is avoiding. If NATO go conventional on Russia, its game over in two weeks. Putin Knows this, which makes his rhetoric pointless. Playing to 3 audiences. Ourselves, his country folk and his Military leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Kaliningrad.

Last night, a US Navy Strike Hawk was advertising the presence of the Amphibious Task Force as it checked some approaches into Kaliningrad. Closest I've seen it operate near the Oblast/Enclave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Rawr

It would be interesting to be able to see how many have managed to get away. I fear that not that many Russian men of fighting age have the means to actually escape the country and that the ranks of these conscripts will be filled of poorer fellas who wanted out, but didn't ave anywhere near enough cash to pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,574 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

There are 35 million men of military age (16-49) in Russia.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

As far as I'm aware the Red Cross haven't been given access. Big shock.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

And probably all the civilian population they moved into Russia or they would be just forging voting papers with those civilians names on them

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Field east

Should it not be the other way around? If embassies are MAINLY for developing trade links and promoting good relations , then surely 5 Ru diplomats are plenty in ireland - we being such a small country with limited Import of Russian goods opportunities- And the opposite re the number of Irish diplomats in Russia with very big potential export opportunities for Irish goods. How did ireland allow such big Russian diplomat numbers. ? What reasons did the Ru give to the Irish gov to allow in suchnumbers -25 + at the moment. Maybe the Irish Gov should review those reasons as some of them may no longer be relevant

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The US have never gone to DEFCON 1. DEFCON 2 twice; Cuban Missile crisis and the first Gulf War. The Able Archer response is a bit of a myth. Such exercises and on both sides were a near annual event and back channels were open before and during. Sometimes one side got more twitchy, like with Able Archer, but nuclear war was a good way off. Things were a lot more twitchy in the 50's and 60's.

About the closest we got to nukes flying(other than the Cuban crisis) was in 83 after the Korean airliner 007 was shot down and tensions went up. Then a glitch in the Soviet air defences made it look like a few American ICBM's were heading their way and they were ready to respond only for a Russian chap in the command chain by the name of Petrov to say no, looks fishy wait for confirmation.

As you say back channels and what is said on them can be very different to what is released for public consumption so we're likely a good way off any escalation. However, and like you I was a teen of the 80's very conscious of nuclear war, I don't recall a Soviet, or US for that matter leader directly and publicly threatening the use of nuclear weapons during a conflict the way putin has been.

I cerainly agree with you that NATO would only love to go conventional on Russian forces, especially since this invasion kicked off we've seen how amateur hour they can be. Russia is trying to spin it for their peoples that they already are, because surely the great stronk Russian military wouldn't be beaten by a bunch of Ukrainians? But that's a nonsense. Summed up by this;

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Which suggests to me anyway, that if they're being this clear and in public they know their threats will cause the Russians to think more than twice about going nuclear and/or that they have intel that it's more bluster from the Kremlin.

The Ru embassy in another country eg Uk , could be acredited to ireland. There are presidents. Sudan for example is /was covered from the Egyptian embassy

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Huh?

In the 70s and 80s where communication didn't really exist for the vast vast majority, people were much more tense, I'd argue ignorance was bliss?

I just spent the last 7 months watching war and war crimes in 4K sometimes live, compared to the 70s and 80s where you might hear a war reporter on the radio for less than 60 seconds.

Also during that time we had a bit of a "war" going on ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

I mean that's pretty rude.

It seems to me this thread is a radicalised echo chamber severely lacking in logic and reason. The Ukrainian people actually put the leader of tornado battalion on trial and he was sent to jail for horrible crimes. It seems war is a great opportunity for atrocities look at the Vietnam war and yet you continue your juvenile description of all Russian's as lord of the rings orcs and call me deluded and sick.

I find the opposite to you as the way forward, efforts should be made to pursue a ceasefire and stop the atrocities.

What happens if Putin is ousted and the Russian nationalists calling for all out war get into power? Have you even considered a scenario like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

All out war would be the end of russia

There is certainly this idea that of putin goes then celebrations all around. Problem is who replaces him in that case? He's surrounded by ultra nationalists, some of whom could be worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Slava_Ukraine

"I find the opposite to you as the way forward, efforts should be made to pursue a ceasefire and stop the atrocities."

Of course you do. TEAM ru is having their asses handed to them, and it's only the start of it.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Previously warned to quit the trolling. Now threadbanned

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Beyond the public messaging, The Hill is reporting that discussions and messages are ongoing via 'backchannels,' which in my experience is how most negotiations with the Soviet Union and the Putler Federation have taken place in the past.

IMO by the time Reagan was publicly buddying up with Gorbachev, the Soviet Union shutdown was well negotiated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement