Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Similar rhetoric was used to depict your average Japanese citizen during ww2, which enabled the Americans to round up Japanese American citizens and place them into internment camps. And also arguably made it much more publicly acceptable and viable to drop two nuclear bombs on thousands of innocent men women and children in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

So I would caution against that sort of dangerous rhetoric.

You are falling into a very obvious and foolish trap, when you pursue that line of thinking. And it doesn't bring about any positive outcomes. I lived and worked in Russia for a number of years, so I find it deeply offensive to hear people trying to lump all citizens of a nation that has over 140m people into one lazy sweeping caricature "pure and utter evil scum". It's not right, and most importantly it's not true!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,405 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

To attempt to draw an equivalence between the scale and extent of Russian war crimes versus Ukraine is a false one.

If you don't acknowledge this then your position in is morally and intellectually bankrupt position. So spare us errant nonsense about lacking in logic and reason.

Atrocities don't stop just because there's a ceasefire when Russia is involved. They have carried out war crimes and atrocities on a daily basis including towards civilians in areas under their control. You would have to be a fool to trust in Russia's tender mercies towards any Ukranians left under Russian controlled territory. It would be like arguing for peace in Europe in 1942 and leaving Germany in possession of France.

And a ceasefire would just be a truce unless Russia are stopped, and Ukraine has secure borders it can defend and alliances into the future that guarantee its security and allow it to rebuild after this illegal invasion and attempt to extinguish it as an country and turn it into a Russian colony. Zero evidence Russia is willing to accede to such a position.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

@Run Forest Run . I lived and worked in Russia for a number of years, so I find it deeply offensive to hear people .

Do you actually think people believe this tripe ,

That was reported as actually happening in Russia as we speak people people deported from Russia are voting on the referendum ,

But no photos or filming allowed as the boxes have the Russian coat of arms on the ballot boxes

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Mullinabreena

It's quite clear from the draft that he's more afraid of the ultra nationalists that surround him then his own people.

• Advertisement

Looks like NASAMs are not in Ukraine as reported yesterday,

Not a great situation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I don't think Putin can make his nuclear threats and expect no warnings whatsoever in return, or an "okay, okay we're very scared now and we won't send Ukraine any more weapons, just please don't do that!". That might be what he wants or hopes for, but it is not going to happen.

There's a distance between this idea of a "non threatening stance" you call for now and your original post, which was condemning USA (and allies perhaps) for throwing about their own similar nuclear counter threats aimed at Russia.

I haven't seen that they are. cnocbui posted a long Atlantic article there discussing the subject (of what might happen were Putin to use a nuclear weapon) that I thought was quite good, it comes through from that use of nuclear weapons in response is very unlikely. What could happen may be uncertain (and its possible US has been a lot clearer on how it will respond with Russia/Putin in private than we see/hear about in public too) but it won't be that imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Lest you forget, pre-1940's America wasn't exactly a bastion for tolerance. Violence is a thing in America, and the internment camp movement started post-Pearl Harbor. In fact, Canada and Mexico and some countries in South America had internment camps, too. America was not a bastion of civil rights prior to the 1960's.

As for Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the bomb projects were military top secret, the general public heard nothing about them until they went off. IMO as military strategy they were entirely justified, but that's a discussion item for another thread.

Have you love the spirit of the Ukrainian population despite being at war and facing daily missle attacks they still manage to carry on as normal despite the chaos kharkiv 5th literary festival was hosted in an underground bunker this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

If a ceasefire is to happen, Ukraine would be within its rights to ask Russia for a couple of concessions such as accounting for the people who Russia has deported out of occupied areas and agreeing not to implement the results of its sham referendums by calling certain areas of Ukraine 'Russia'.

The reality of war seems to be that ceasefires are only agreed if public/political/strategic pressures are such that they happen. If Ukraine feels like it has the upper hand and that Russia would only use a ceasefire to recuperate for a new push later, it's easier to understand why they wouldn't go for a ceasefire right now. War has to be one of the most regrettable things in existence, but Ukraine didn't start it, and Russia can end it tomorrow by packing up and going home, but less and less does Mr. Putin talk of peace. If anything, his rhetoric is becoming angrier and more bitter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

The question is: what is the endgame?

Russia has strategically lost. It lost even before the war started. It has lost any semblance of international credibility it retained. Its army has been exposed as a bad joke. Its remaining allies are slowly backing away. Its economy is falling to pieces. Its most educated citizens are fleeing for the exits. The Mad Tsar becomes ever more unhinged.

Ukraine grows stronger by the day, Its people are united. Its leader is globally admired. It has strong international support. And now it has proven it can defeat Russia on the battlefield.

So the calculus on the ground doesn't change: Putin must lose and be seen to lose.

But that's not the endgame. Say these reservists get blown to hell over the next few months - very likely - and Ukraine liberates more and more of its territory. Good. Say it even liberates all of its territory. Even better (but less likely).

The endgame for Ukraine is visible and, even damaged, partially occupied and reeling from the invasion, its future looks optimistic.

But what of Russia? What happens there? Who leads it - and, critically, how does it engage with the world? I have no idea but it's a topic that will have to be reckoned with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,834 ✭✭✭Cake Man

That gunman in the Russian school - could it be a false flag a la the apartment bombings of the early 00’s? BBC reporting the gunman was wearing Nazi insignia, could this be an orchestrated attack by the kremlin to win over public opinion? “Look lads, those Nazis we’re trying to eradicate are attacking our people on our land, they must be stopped”. Would make for an easier time convincing the clowns there for conscription….just my initial thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭paul71

That would make for a very big civil war in Russia.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Edit - wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

What perturbs me about it is how well filmed it is. Could be fake, could be Ukrainian disinfo trying to stir up the locals. A war during the Twitter era...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Or maybe it's just a Nazi?

Not everything is a conspiracy theory, false flag or lizard people.

People use the expression 'orc' for a good reason. Of course we understand there are good Russians, we are not stupid, but Russia is, and has always been, a very sick country and that is what orc means.

I remember reading an article on how monstrous and evil Russia is and that article was written in 1900. I have tried to find the quote but can't locate it. Russia needs a serious cleansing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Macron tried a non aggressive approach to conflict resolution. How successful was that? Russia is the aggressor, no other nation is in any way at fault in their response to that except for not responding aggressively enough before this kicked off.

Biden made a huge mistake by not putting US troops in Ukraine when Putin was lying about his intentions. Now, thanks to that non-aggresive response, Biden is looking at a situation of a probable use of nuclear weapons against Ukraine and response options that are all considerably more robust than having US troops in Ukraine in the first place. One of the few likely response options to come from war gaming scenarios is to overwhelmingly pit US forces against Orc forces in Ukraine and to swiftly obliterate them. That is some really sick irony, right there.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I would look to history for the answer. Typically the government falls and is replaced by a more democratic system, or the whole system implodes and a power vacuum pulls Russia into a civil war.

1917 is obviously the historical analogy that comes to mind.

First thing that came to mind when I saw the reports.

I'm sure it will be announced that shooter was a member of the Azoz battalion and he had his unit Id on him at the time, followed by the whole nonsense of see they Ukrainian Nazis are coming to kill our children,we must now escalate the war even further now

This notion has never been remotely feasible, for the simple reason that Ukraine is not in NATO. No serious commentator has ever suggested it.

It's fun A young man #Nga #Russia mobilized gave his commander what the end of #Ukraine was like by giving his commander 4 shots to the chest. It is better to go to jail than die

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

That was an odd detail that stood out for me, especially as the BBC article quoted the Russian state news agency as the source of that info.

I wouldn't be one for conspiracy theories and my initial response is that it was someone frustrated at the Government or taking advantage of the current chaos in Russia to pull off their attack.

The idea that any country, at such a moment, would orchestrate an attack on its most vulnerable citizens is horrifying and yet it happens all around the world. This Russian administration has already shown how ruthless it can be. And why would we trust Russian reporting and investigation on this matter when all the information they are releasing at this moment is highly questionable.

Its a story to keep an eye on and it raises plenty of questions: Is it a stunt to show how 'lawless' the world can be if Russia doesn't crack down on its citizens? Or a warning to not distract officials with protests while the war is going on? Or simply a 'lone wolf' attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Despite the state controlled media, it's surely the case than many of these 140 million citizens can sense a bad smell off this war operation. They have chosen to date out of habit and culture to ignore the odour and carry on their normal lives. Now it's starting the affect them more directly and clearly there is dissent.

But they are complicit in supporting the regime, you can jail several thousand protestors but you can't jail or control hundreds of thousands if they had sufficient backbone. I don't think the EU should facilitate fleeing Russians, let them stay and sort out their own problems.

Personally I don't much care for the description 'orc' for Russian armed forces but it is simpler, quicker to type and more PC than labeling them as 'disgusting pieces of excrement that should be eliminated' which is a more apt description.

R.I.P. to the dead. A horrible way to go at the hands of a madman

• Registered Users Posts: 29,405 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Bush sent US troops into Georgia during Russia's incursion, delivering 'humanitarian aid', and basically said if they were attacked or endangered they would defend themselves. Something similar could have done in Western Ukraine, Kyiv, the grain ports etc.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Just reading through the posts on what would be the likely response if Putin uses a tactical nuclear weapon.

This article is pretty instructive and interesting

This particular section stood out when reading......

"Perry has met Putin on a number of occasions, dating back to when he was the deputy mayor of St. Petersburg—and thinks Putin will use tactical weapons in Ukraine if it seems advantageous to do so. Although the Russian Federation’s declared policy is to use nuclear weapons only when confronted with an existential threat to the state, public declarations from Moscow should always be taken with a grain of salt."

Look at the part in bold and the referendums happening in those 'annexed' states are now Putin excuse to do just that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement