Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a flat pack log cabin

Options
2»

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Plenty of examples of 'flat pack' houses that comply with planning regs, but incorrect to assume they will be a cheaper option. I looked into these some years ago and the main advantage was speed, but the cost was almost always higher, or similar at best. Planning was also going to be a more convoluted process.

https://www.scanhome.ie/

https://www.huf-haus.com/en-uk/

The reality is that if you're getting a turnkey option that meets the standards required by building regulations, it's going to cost you serious money. It doesn't really matter a huge amount if it's block built, timber frame, pre-fabricated or volumetric housing— costs aren't going to diverge wildly.

There is unfortunately no nice fluffy solution where a big, safe, energy efficient home can be made to appear on-site for small money.

If you're looking to save on costs your options are to reduce the quality (by buying one of the glorified sheds the OP linked to), reduce the quantity (by choosing a smaller structure), or reduce the inputs with costs associated (by doing as much of the work as possible yourself and ideally by also roping in friends & relatives with your big sad puppy dog eyes).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,203 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I have plenty of clue.

A lot of those things don't add huge cost but a lot of the new energy efficiency stuff does. If it was toned down a bit it would reduce building costs by a good bit. Don't forget that its often paid for with borrowed money so it just means the bank is earning passive income rather than the oil company being paid for oil. Though what has the biggest effect of all is the enforced artificial scarcity of property through zoning laws and "local needs"

• Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

build cost would lessen, but running costs would soar. Energy usage AND costs is reduced by renewable technologies.

lets leave the soapboxing for more appropriate threads shall we.

In this forum we comply with the law.

+1

My DIY renovations included as much rigid insulation as I could fit in, and reduced my heating bill by at over around two thirds which with current prices is around €2k annually (and average of €1,500 a year with price fluctuations over the last few years). If you try and purchase an annuity of €1,500 a year it'll cost you something around €40k (probably significantly more, the multiplier used to be 33 but inflation & interest rates impact on that also). Plus most energy efficiency measures seriously improve comfort levels and have health benefits, which I honestly think is worth a big portion of the outlay on it's own— what reasonable person will miss living in a cold house with a fire burning constantly and with drafts & mould everywhere?

So I think €50k just on energy efficiency for a new home would actually be very reasonable, as it is in fact (at worst) cost neutral with huge benefits in terms of comfort & health.

EDIT- Also, don't feed the trolls....

• Advertisement

I do take issue with the statement "energy efficiency regulations exist for the protection of the climate, to reduce the need for fossil fuel based heating."

While it is accurate that reducing climate change is important and energy efficiency measures are required for this, the worldwide reality is that no jurisdiction (ours included) is acting effectively to reduce emissions to the extent necessary. The "worst case scenario" climate model predictions should be renamed as "likely case scenario" .

Energy efficiency measures & renewable energy are in reality far more about improving energy security than climate protection. It is relatively easy to manipulate, massively reduce, or shut down the supply of gas (Nord Stream 1 & 2 exploded recently for example) or oil— as Russia has recently (and OPEC did in the 1970s) in wartime. It is on the other hand extremely difficult to manipulate, massively reduce, or shut down the supply of sun, wind, tidal or geothermal energy....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

A family near me did the same, in Wicklow and the Council blew them out of the water, citing a refusal to grant PP because of the desire of the family to make an opening onto the very busy main road for access. So, they are stuck in a caravan on a site they can't sell, unless they clear themselves off it. The family didnt endear themselves to the Council by running an emotive campaign via the local newspaper. Council won in the end.

Advertisement