Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭zv2

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

A nuclear scenario would be completely different.

Just to be clear, my comments are in the context of the current conventional warfare scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But yet for the last 8 years there has been US and Nato troops regularly in Ukraine, whether it be in training/advisor roles of for joint forces exercises right up until the invasion

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I highly doubt the Americans will nuke Russia if Putin resorts to use a WMD in the Ukraine. I would expect it would be more likely that they unleash their airforce to destroy all Russian forces on Ukrainian territory.

Again you are deflecting from a country that HAS broken international law, whose forces ARE carrying out war crimes on a mass scale. These days given communications options available their population are aware of what is happening in their name. They are guilty by silence and association.

Imho they are scum the only form of life lower than them are those living in the west making excuses/deflecting for them.

Post edited by gandalf on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Important Aviation News:

Apologies in advance. This is a long one, but of extreme interest.

We are witnessing an extraordinary mobilisation of NATO air assets across Europe at the moment. From Belfast, right over and up to Finland, everything from f-16's to Turkish Airforce SIGNIT 737's are currently airborne. To break it down, Here is an overview of ONLY military aircraft ( and just the ones with transponders switched on) airborne over Europe right now:

Let's have a quick look at some of the assets:

Above: 2 x Canadian C-130j's are leaving Belfast.

Above: A flight of F-16's, probably outfitted for SEAD, is leaving UK airspace.

Above: one of many KC-135 on fueling operations.

Above: A second flight of F-16s currently airborne.

Above, here you can see a cluster of Kc-135's airborne over Europe.

Above, one of many USAF C-17's currently on the move.

Above: Almost every ELINT and SIGNIT ( intelligence-gathering) platform in the NATO arsenal is now airborne over Europe. That alone is extraordinary. From Swedish AF Gulfstream monitoring Kaliningrad to a Turkish AF ELINT 737 up near the Baltic Sea.

Above, here we see a very rare Turkish AF Early Warning aircraft on its way towards Kaliningrad.

I would highly recommend watching the skies over Europe over the next day or so and listening in to the various LiveATC streams covering the airspace over and around Polish Airspace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,407 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

@greenpilot

What you think is up so?

All Eyes On Rafah

No official nato exercises due this week ,

Something to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Really doesn't feel good tbh. Just get the vibe Europe is on the brink of something unthinkable only a few short months ago.

@greenpilot Here another one in from brize

This is odd

Tbh we crossed that brink on the 24th of February when Russia illegally invaded Ukraine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Oddly enough, I think this sort of action helps to mitigate; NATO can't sit on its hands while the Russians **** around.

They need to know that the first sniff NATO gets of any WMD movement, they are going to get lit up like a Christmas tree.

I think NATO has decided to move the chess pieces. Notice that:

1. Air-refuelling asset operations have increased exponentially. Which means they are supporting an equal amount of fighter jets who have their transponders off. You can equate the position of a KC-135 to a flight of fighters or other similar assets.

2. AWAC flights and SIGNIT flights, all with transponders active, have increased, and is a clear sign to Putin, especially after Bidens remarks, that all eyes are on Russia's movements and that NATO means business.

3. There is an increase in Dutch, German and British Airbus A320 series aircraft. Equate this to mean troop and cargo movements.

It's all designed to speak a certain language to Putin. The language of "we're ready".

My thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Looks like Twitter has responded to Chinese pressure and has deleted Jennifer Zeng's account. She broke the story alleging that Xi Jinping had been arrested.

No wonder: https://www.indiatoday.in/news-analysis/story/someone-out-there-doesnt-like-twitter-accounts-critical-of-china-1720221-2020-09-09

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If true shows how good the Intel the Ukrainians are getting and how pants on head stupid the Russians are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

JAKE11 currently doing loops of Kaliningrad having trekked back and over along the Estonian Russian border earlier. No doubt casting a long eye in towards St Petersberg.

FORTE10 sitting in the Black Sea for the past 8 hours.

Fascinating to watch the manoeuvring that transponders allow us see.

But I agree EOQTRL, it does have an ominous feel to it.

The bottom one is just a drone. Look at the airspeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I just hope this is NATO flexing its muscle but it does feel like stepping things up a notch.

Tbh it demonstrates that Russia cannot safely locate any military assets in occupied Ukrainian territory. That alone says all you need know about the trajectory of this war.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Some people are just baying for WW3 to start I suppose, I don't read too much into NATO airforce manoeuvres/operations. Announced or otherwise. Just NATO showing Russia that it can muscle up a lot of airpower in a very short timeframe. Could be in response to the school shooting warning Russia not to use any excuse to do anything major. I really don't see a great deal to it.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

Have any of these troops been in combat? No.

There's a reason for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Amongst other things, I think that would put Russian targets, on Russian soil firmly in the sights of Ukrainian military planners, something that they have so far avoided in any meaningful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I'd say it more to get visibility if the Russians are going to mass the extra manpower somewhere new to open up a new point of pressure on Ukraine.

It's also useful to remind Putin that every piece of Russian kit and every Russia troop in the occupied territories of Ukraine are "touchable".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Well no it wasn't newspaper than mobile phone, before mobile phones we had satellite communication, Ham Radio and even Morse code if you want to go back that far.

But the charge was people were more tense back pre instant 4k live video.

Having lived through both eras, IMO that is not true.

Your post reminds me of that urban myth T-shirt of John Lennons last words:

"That's not a real gun"

But seriously, to those who follow aviation over a number of years, what occurring right now is a pretty big deal. Observing and reporting on aviation movements does not presume that those interested in such things are "Baying for WW3".

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

How and where will Russia strike first in they did cross that line??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I would alway be disbelieving of someone who says 'to be honest' or similar like 'I'm not bluffing' , you have to question are they usually dishonest or bluffers, are doing that again?

Any power that seriously threatens nuclear attack leaves itself open to a massive disabling 'first strike' leaving the country devestated and their response much weaker and uncordinated. I'm sure a few specific missiles would target all of Putin's personal living quarters too.

Russiia has lost this and they need to find a way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

3rd time this has been posted. You are about 14 hours late.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,009 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Gatling, I say this with respect and affection: China's lack of denial on the absurd rumours that Xi Jinping is under hours arrest is in no way evidence that he is. That's just not a logical argument. China just doesn't work that way, releasing a statement every time someone on Twitter has a brain fart. It really does't help your overall credibility - and I think you're been a significantly important contributor on this thread - to keep claiming otherwise. All the reports of it have come from dodgy Indian sources, and if you do need "proof of life", the People's Daily today published this:

BEIJING, Sept. 26 (Xinhua) -- Chinese President Xi Jinping has written a foreword, titled "Forging Ahead on the Journey to National Rejuvenation," for works of literature collected in the Revitalization Library, which will soon be published.

In the foreword, Xi, also general secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee and chairman of the Central Military Commission, emphasized the necessity to draw on the lessons of history, reflect on the past, look to the future, and press forward on the journey to national rejuvenation. 

There's no way in hell that the official newspaper of the Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party would be publishing such articles about him if he was under house arrest.

Plus all their articles about the National Congress meeting next month put him front and centre.

It is firmly believed that under the strong leadership of the CPC Central Committee with Comrade Xi Jinping at its core and through the concerted efforts of all the delegates, the 20th CPC National Congress will be a congress of unity, victory and endeavor, reads the editorial. 

I don't know, maybe knock this one on the head?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,429 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The ole days when Russia propaganda was reporting of a HIMAR on the second floor of a multi storey car park.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement