Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dole 'summer bonus' .. are they for real?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

All more important than the people working to generate the taxes to support these people in the first place, the so called “vulnerable”, after paying taxes here and getting nothing in return for almost two decades im well aware of that.

As for your statement about moving job to increase pay- is this an actual serious proposition? Dare I say other people could get a job to move them off a fixed welfare income but I’m sure that would be deeply offensive to all concerned. And we can’t have that

• Registered Users Posts: 26,977 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

what Bonus 🤔, the suggestion of one that was never ever promised, hinted about or even got a moments thought by Government, that one 🤔

there's been so much vitriol, Bile skulduggery on this bizzare thread , hard to understand what people are referring too with all this magical free money they appear to think Government throws at scroungers, layabouts, pensioners , the ill and disabled 🙄

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 patsfan1286

How is printing more money meant to help with inflation? It was necessary during covid, but there is no doubt that this has some part in rising prices worldwide.

If governments were serious about tackling inflation, focus on the oil companies. Crude prices are at 2018 levels, but energy prices are through the roof. Transport costs have a huge impact on consumer prices.

And don't gimme that 'but Russia'. We all know when the price of crude goes up, we see it the next day at the pump. Shockingly we don't see the same when crude drops.

I think you question probably suited for a proper thread dealing with economics, politics or a thread actually dealing with current affairs, not this thread which belongs under conspiracy theories, even, after hours perhaps 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The welfare expenditure is to be increased in the Budget the Taoiseach said, its already €30 billion which is obscene for a small country and its still going up year on year.

No doubt the HSE will have their greedy hands out looking for more as well to throw at our third world health service.

No relief for car owners though because it seems that clown Ryan wouldn't like it.

• Advertisement

Agreed but in fairness the actual budget in 2022 is €23.3 billion and factors in not just covid expenditure and a host of payments not unemployment related. I'm sure it's increased substantially in 2022 due to Ukranian refugee crisis, But I agree its high and absolutely agree support measures for workers etc is needed. Ryan's a clueless buffoon . HSE expenditure extraordinary and yet year after year just ineptitude.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,141 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

We have a separate thread dedicated to inflation - pleased use that one rather than this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

It's weird that pensioners are seen as the most vulnerable when they're the ones most well off. Vast majority of pensioners I know end up leaving tens of thousands to their kids or nephews or nieces.

My own granny has 70k in the bank.

Another lad I know drives a 20 year old banger and is filthy rich.

The Irish love the image of the poor granny living in a falling down thatched cottage. Most of them haven’t moved on from that image of a vulnerable pensioner

The scary thing is we are at “full employment” now- leaving aside pension commitments this is a huge figure- what if unemployment rises over 10% or even 15%. And the tax take falls in line with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

There is no choice, it’s the welfare recipients who are making the most noise, ringing, emailing their tds.

Tick the box increase the budget, put extra coin in their pocket. Let the tax payer pick up the tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

What happens is our old friends the Trioka pay us another visit

Don’t even want to think about it tbh as people did genuinely suffer last time- and it wasn’t “da vulnerable”, it was young Irish lads in construction etc that were forced to far flung Australia etc., people with big commitments that couldn’t afford to stay.

Lot of the family silver was flogged off to foreign vulture funds via that utter clown Michael Noonan at the time too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

ESRI recommendation actually. Not the mythical trampoline lobby.

We’ll see. Interest rates on government bonds rising, potential falls in tax takes. Greater numbers in need of welfare. Leaves very little scope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

The government will jump ship and leave the mess. I agree little scope but they will stretch that elastic band.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Juran

How difficult would it be for the Dept of SW to implement an unemployment/ jobseekers system that reflects contributions made from paid in national insurance ? I believe such a system would be a great investment, and we need asap.

I agree with a hike in welfare for sick, disabled, carers, etc. But not for those who never contributed and are able to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

It already exists: Any welfare payment known as "Benefit" is based on contributions, anything known as "Allowance" is means tested. Most "Benefit" payments are slightly higher and are time limited as well as being contribution contingent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Pensioners are no different from us. Some are rich, some are poor. They certainly aren't all rich.

I actually help out one pensioner and I can assure you that while they own their own house, they have fcukall else. They regularly don't have enough to pay all of their bills, let alone have anything in the bank.

You think that there are no vulnerable pensioners? I can assure you that there are lots. But don't take my word for it.

About 55,000 pensioners live on an income below the poverty line and represent approximately 8% of the poverty population.

svp.ie/getattachment/869467cb-2d60-4fe2-b612-a8c6e4357cdc/The-Hidden-Cost-of-Poverty.aspx#:~:text=About%2055%2C000%20pensioners%20live%20on,8%25%20of%20the%20poverty%20population.&text=0.295%20for%20disposable%20income%20(accessed%20June%202020).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not all pensioners had the capacity or ability to save vast sums of money over their lifetime. Many have relied on the state pension which isn't a whole lot in today's world.

Pensioners are by their definition vulnerable, older unable to get work even if they wanted to, limited by where they live and may be heading towards health issues.

Be grateful if your own grandparents are in such rude financial health. It is not always the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

Some welfare cases are complex like mine, noone can really hate on me here as I take UK tax money rather than Irish state money.

I am unemployable, I have tried many jobs and always ended up being so mentally wore down that I felt I had no choice but to leave. I believe my issue is undiagnosed autism, I believe the school system should take some blame for my disfunctional life. 15 years in the school system and they never caught on that I was abnormal? The reason is because I was good at school work and so they didn't see my social problems as an issue. A therapist I was assigned to via the dole agreed with me so it is not just me imagining that.

Anyway, I will have to work soon as the job centre will just cut you off if you stay on it too long. They put me on this work search programme for people with difficulty with work. Who knows what will become of that, my life is a comedy. I imagine that a good percentage of long term unemployed people are situations like mine. Yes laziness comes into it too but you need to look at why the people are lazy in the first place, it is a symptom of depression and a lack of motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭thegame983

I'd rather my taxes paid for some skanger's smack addiction then for a vulture fund to pay out dividends to its investors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Maybe this time the government might actually go after the golden circle. Our obscenely over paid legal eagles as well as senior civil/public servants TD’s included.

Or so they tell you. My mother is one of those. She wouldn't spend Christmas yet owns her own home and has 50k in the bank. Skimps on putting on the heating even before the current crisis. She is much better off than the average family on low wages.

A pensioner renting in a major city is a whole other thing.

So, because your mother is a miser and has a few bob stashed away, that means that all other pensioners are the same. Riiiiight.

The pensioner that I help out has sweet f/a in the bank or in the credit union. I know that for a fact. She owns her own house but only has €256ish per week to live on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,443 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Is the standard pension the same amount as disability and jobseekers or do they have different floors for what's considered enough to survive on?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Some SW rates above.

• Advertisement

Pension is always more than DA or JSA.

Pension = 253.30

JSA = 208

DA = 208

Advertisement