Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Start Up Problem

Options
  • 26-09-2022 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

I have put together a PC with some new and existing parts I had.

It's in a Corsair 280X case with an ASUS ROG Strix B550i ITX motherboard. It has GSKILL 2 x 16GB RAM.

CPU is a AMD Ryzen 5600X with an AIO cooling it. It has a 1TB SSD and a 2TB HHD.

The GPU is an RX 6950 XT and the PSU is a Corsair HX1200i. There are also 6 fans and some rgb in it also.

Now my problem is when I turn it on for the first time in say... 24 hours, fans start, lights come on and it sounds like it boots up. But it doesn't, the screen stays blank and nothing happens no matter how long I wait. Always well over 5 minutes, probably closer to 10.

I have to kill the power at the back and turn it back on. This time it boots up perfectly and in seconds.

Sometimes the HHD does not boot up and can't be found and another restart might need to be done for this to boot.

The CPU, SSD and HHD are from my previous PC. The MB is new and the PSU is suppose to be new (I got it from someone who said it was).

GPU is second hand.

I have tried a few things so far, putting the RAM in again, and the same with the HHD. I gave the HHD its own power as it was sharing the power with the SSD.

I am thinking of getting a new 2TB SSD m.2 to replace the HHD and then after that I might start looking at the PSU.

Does anyone have any thoughts? As I am puzzled.

Comments

• Did you say you often just get a black screen at boot? I’m presuming it’s not something as simple as a very slightly loose connection with your graphics card… because that’s what happened me when I set up initially, and a little more, delicate, pushing in did the trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Use nothing only board, cpu, 1 stick of ram, gfx card, and display, and see if any different. Any beeps or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

Once I have turned it on during the day it always turns on quick after that.

I'll try those before I turn it on tomorrow and I'll see if it makes a difference, I have another GPU that I could put in as well. I though it might just be the ITX being a pain in the arse.

Every time I start it up and the PC has not been on for 24 hours before that. I get a blank screen. I've had the GPU out and back in but I will try it again, thanks. After the initial none start and I restart it, there is no problem with the screen.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• I was just thinking maybe the slight jerk of the machine might have just tipped the balance in favour of of connection… mine was a brand new set-up, but sometimes the slightest element of misfit fooks up the connection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jon Doe

Was it always like that? Or did you make some alteration to the machine recently? Add, remove or move hardware around...

Also, have you tried to go into the BIOS and load up the default non turbo settings? Do that, run the machine for a few days and see if you notice any difference.

Also, see if you can simulate the passage of 24h by disconnecting the machine from the power outlet for an hour or 2. If so, it may be a capacitor problem either in the PSU or in the motherboard.

Just an update.

It was the PSU. I replaced it and no more problems. Starts up quick and no more missing drives.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisement