Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tragic death of woman after Lisdoonvarna social media furore

Options
  • 26-09-2022 5:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

A few weeks ago a video of a couple in lisdoonvarna went viral and was shared on social media and messaging apps.. Even mainstream media picked up on the story and lampooned the couple involved.

Sadly, such was the social media storm that was after the misjudged act, the poor woman felt unable to cope and she took her own life. May she rest in peace.

It's sickening that some people seem to think it's ok to video such drunken antics and then share it on social media and WhatsApp. That's bad enough but they mainstream media would seek to further embarrass the poor woman is even worse.

Devastating for the family and her community.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

That’s really sad to hear. Social media is a curse. Rest in peace. 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Oh my god, how horrible 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

So sad too because it would have all blown over and be forgotten about after a few weeks when the mob moved on to their next victim for ridiculing.

I think it was a form of cyber bullying to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Reminiscent of the poor young woman whose mental health episode in Dublin was shared widely on social media.

Who knows how anyone would handle being publically shamed in such a manner.

Not a road we'd probably ever go down, but there's strong laws in countries like Japan and South Korea about sharing identifiable images of people recorded in public. Faces of the public are blurred in news items etc.

In fact, when you land in somewhere like Seoul, your phone detects that you are in Korea and your camera will have a loud shutter noise when taking a picture that you can't switch off. Even if your phone was bought elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Not to cast dispersions OP but do you have any evidence of this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,647 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Never heard of the story, never seen it in mainstream media, but sad if true.

The social media age and camera phones are a curse.

From the Sun probably not worth giving the clicks but here it is .... EDIT: I've decided to remove this link

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

I have heard it from multiple independent sources and I understand that it was later confirmed locally.

It's not in the media but I'm inclined to think that it is being kept private and out of the media, since some of the mainstream media (mostly via their online articles) certainly played their part in driving the furore, posting articles referring to the incident and mentioning that there were videos doing the rounds on WhatsApp and social media and making a laugh out of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Really bad form if they don't report it, especially after it's impact. People don't realise the damage they've done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭buried

Anything you do now on the street is potentially going to be shot and filmed by something somewhere. Especially anything outlandish. Been this way for more than a decade, well more than a decade. Its canon fodder for the eternally bored.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,598 ✭✭✭jackboy

That doesn’t make sense. Your giving out about someone putting up the blurred picture of the woman and then say the man should be made an example of. What makes you think he got off Scot free?

• Registered Users Posts: 52,009 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Nothing about it on RTÉ News.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 waterford blaa45

What are trying to get from posting it, new laws around videoing? you're just as bad, didn't take 4 minutes to find the person's name.

Why bring more attention to the woman's name, should have let her RIP FFS.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I really do not think a discussion of a tragic event like this is appropriate. Families are involved and speculation is likely in any thread like this. Please leave such matters for the relevant authorities to review and conclude on reasons behind such a death

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement