Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Acres scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,240 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Eamonn Ryan came out with some figures about how dry timber should be when it's burned - it was the same speech where he said the cutting of turf would be banned. As @J.O. Farmer posted we don't know where the regulations are going to be in 20 years time.

"Wood sold in single units under 2m³ will be required to have a moisture content of 25% or less (moving to 20% within 4 years) and wet wood sold over these volumes will be required to come with instructions for the purchaser on how to dry this wood"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Can 100% see a ban on cutting timber coming in down the line... Greens may build it into legislation before they end their term as they won't see another government term for another generation..

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Silverdream

The Greens are out of Government in the next election. That's about the only 100% guarantee there is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Funny thing is, in glas with the Grove of trees option, trees had to be no more than 1 metre from one & other.

Their prone to changing their conclusions on these things over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭893bet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I'm putting in a shelter belt between the house and some cut-over bog we have. After much research I'm going with a Alder, Common Birch and Aspen combo

I end up putting in more than 3 types. I like the Oak but it is very slow to grow but will include at least 10 plants in the 300.

The next question will be where to source the Trees. I'm thinking if its anything like the rare breeds we'll end up with price gouging.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,708 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Good value to be had via Future Forests based in Cork - deliver nationwide over the sowing season and all native stock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,002 ✭✭✭alps

Objective will be to hold onto the Carbon in the store that is the tree, rather than returning it to the atmosphere.

Renewable is now irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

It's carbon neutral. What is stored goes back and is stored for the next growing cycle. Of fuels we use, it's the best, only bested by wind, hydro and solar pv. Some of these are questionable with the carbon inputs during the construction phase.

During world war 2 Norway and Sweden relied on timber greatly even have stored huge amounts of wood in the squares of large cities, these would make a stack of 10000 bales of silage look small.

Currently heat the house here for the past 10 years with a log gasification boiler. A wheelbarrow a day does all the heat and hot water in the middle of the day. Most of it is gathered as windfell and the odd tree that has to be taken down for safety purposes.

How we dry timber and how we burn it is the key to getting the most heat out of every log

• Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We have a grove of willow planted coppice and it regrows. I planted two species at the time, one didn’t work out but one is giving great straight long lengths with little waste and easily sawn. Will plant more of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭148multi

I mentioned it to a gov TD a few years ago, he said anything grant aided, construction and furniture only, no firewood. All about storing carbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭amacca

Care to share?

How you do the drying and burning I mean....I dry it in a large shed new stuff thrown in at the back older drier stuff taken from other side....itsca big shed so could be a lot more than couple of years drying from one end to the other....like that it's cuttings and any trees that keel over...

+1 on that.

I try to season/dry the logs for at least 12 months before burning but am interested in how others do it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We've two sheds here that hold about a two years supply of timber each, we use from one while filling the other. Like that timber is drying for 12 mths plus. Plenty of firewood around now thanks to ash dieback

Similar to above have a bit of lean to off the back of the garage. Approx 30*14ft. Open side is north facing. About 12ft*14ft stacked to about 6ft high is enough for the year. Nothing fancy just time to dry it out and try to be a year ahead is the key. Fill onside and work from the other is the key.

For the gasification boiler every thing is cut to 20 inches or shorter. Spilt rough and ready. If it will fit in the door of the boiler it will do. Most of timber is gathered and dropped in corner of the farmyard. Cut away in quiet times. A saw horse with loads of depth for braches. Leave a tipper trailer into a shed and when full tip it at garage and just throw it in.

The gasification boiler is like a stove but burns down into a second chamber, this reburns the gas off the timber to approx 1100-1300c heating a water jacket. Since you can't control this heat or use it immediately it is dumped into a buffer tank. These are the equivalent of batteries to store your hot water. When ever the house calls for heat, it pumps from the buffer tank. If you want heat this evening you are using the heat from yesterday's burn. The key is to key the buffers temp up/ charged

Typical routine in the winter for me is I light a small fire in the bottom of the boiler with a bit of kindling and a fire light. The boiler has fan to help the draft. Fill the barrow with timber, put a bit in and make sure fire is going, top up close the door and walk away. Top up anytime with the remaining timber in a 3-6 hr window. I light it in the evening when going foddering. Less than 5 mins in total from lighting, getting the barrow of wood and tipping up. Find it good, but will find it better this year😉😉😉

• Registered Users Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Not sure how I didn't receive your tag @J.O. Farmer and notification.

But anyway scrolling through the thread so here.

On other forums there's a bit of controversy on this Supersoil. It's a bit of a cop out to say it's a secret what it is. It's for that reason it's turning people against buying. People are getting a shyster vibe from the people involved in this. I mean any slurry additive you're given the range of aerobic and anaerobic bacteria, types of each, if there's yeast or fungi involved. This they're saying it's a top secret formula. That puts doubt in anyone that do they know actually what they are doing and especially so when it's said it can be used both in slurry and sprayed on land.

Advice would be to contact The Irish Organic Society as per ad. Ask what exactly is in it (full list of biota and strains, what other ingredients) and why they approved it to be commercially sold to Organic farmers.

This BS of top secret ingredients makes themselves as fools, the irish organic society as fools, and the farmer for buying the unknown as fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Agreed, I was genuinely interested in this stuff until I heard the "top secret" ingredients bit.

Major whiff of homoeopathy off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,421 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Homoeopaths would at least state so and the ingredients.

It could be a whole range of things or could be a whole range of nothing. It's nonsense carry on.

There's a chancer vibe off that ad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Yea, very good points. The wife and I discussed it and came to the conclusion that for €50 we'd buy a small packet and test it on a acre. If it works then great and, if not, well sure, we get to go out **** all now anyway with the kids around so worth the gamble for €50 plus we can tell ye all it's shite and to stay away from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauser77

When are you thinking of using it. Now of in spring time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭endainoz

Definitely, pure snake oil salesman type. It would be also easy to prey on people desperate to cut the fert bill these days too.

More questions (probably deserves a thread of its own but I think it's relevant for anyone thinking of the Trees option in Acres)

Is there much Ash from this Boiler?

Do you clean every day?

How much did the Boiler and Buffer tank set you back?

What type of Timber is best in the Boiler?

How big is the Boiler, it must be a lot bigger than a Firebird Oil Boiler!!?

A mag lick bucket a fortnight,

Quick clean of the of the gasification chamber daily. 30 secs. A clean every 2 months of the boiler of soot. Approx 10 mins. Clean the chimney annually

Cost was 6k about 10 yrs ago. A grand to the plumber and a grand in gunbarrel pipe and fittings. Was done as part to a new build

Mix of dry willow and ash is a good mix. Alder is good. Any of the spruce are good. Slower burn out of the likes of oak and beech. Key is have it dry below 20%

Boiler has the same footprint as a typical outdoor oil boiler, just about a 300-450 mm higher. The biggest space is needed for the buffer tank.

If you had an oiler boiler out in a shed it could work handy as you could tee into the piping going to the house

• Registered Users Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭amacca

Excellent series of posts, much appreciated. I knew nothing about that type of boiler

You learn something new everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭High bike

What American politician said u can put lipstick on a pig but its still a pig

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Are these weeds not a sign of a significant soil imbalance, hence the score hit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 moonandstarsabove

Its not Dafm who came up wih budget fot the scheme. Its government showing how much they actually value environment. Much more important to maintain votes to press release a new agri scheme for something or other every couple of months and keep your picture in the paper.

Dafm and planners realistically can't cope. But never mind. Politics comes first

Advertisement