Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marathon Improvers Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭marathon2022

We're in the same boat so 🙂, I've only run two marathons with other competitors and three virtual covid era type marathons.

Both of the real life races I started with easy miles, Dublin 2019 as prescribed on my post for a 3.59 ( I trained for a sub 4 ) finish and earlier this year I started Manchester marathon with an 8.00 minute mile for a 3.18 finish. Mile 2 to 26 all a few seconds either side of 7.35 per mile.

Put simply my modest experience tells me running easy for the first mile or two didn't detrimentally effect my target.

An most importantly - good luck 💪 and give it socks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

If you run the first half nice and comfortable you can still go for a time by having energy in the second half. I think you should go by feel …. I was the queen of pace bands and trying to be a slave to them for years but more recently I’ve run by feel and am running much better races.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭event

Yeah good shout folks. Not like I am going to lose a huge amount of fitness over a few days. Will wait until Wednesday as busy tomorrow. If reacts ok, will try Friday and if still ok might go for a much slower LSR on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Sussex18

Thanks Kellygirl. I think that makes sense. I'll go by feeling I think and see if I have it later. I'll probably enjoy it more that way and I'll learn more going forward for potential future marathons (if there is more!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Wore the Endorphins on a MP session this morning, 14k total including Up and Down.

Felt that discomfort on the ball of the left foot again, at 13k. Wouldn't say pain, just discomfort.

Reading a review there and a guy recommended thin socks. Wore Steigen lycra socks on the 10 mile last week and felt no issues. Wore thicker socks both times I felt it. Will wear the lycra again for the next few runs and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Well it looks like I'll have to take my own advice and rest for a couple of days. Pain just below my knee when I fully straighten/stretch my leg. No discomfort walking/bending etc. but I can't take the chance with tonight's planned session. Ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

What are your thoughts on the steigen sock? Would you recommend for a marathon?

I'm not 100% sure of the sock I'd picked after last week's long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭py

I've been using them exclusively since they gave people a free pair for DCM 2019. I find them to be great for all types of running and terrain. Follow the washing instructions and do not put them in the dryer.

Galway is a fab city, the marathon itself is 4 long loops and 2 shorter, all along the Promenade. Done the half twice but this will be my first time attempting the full. 8:30am is the earliest I've ever started and will be 'with' the 10K in the latter stages-all those sprinters passing me 🙂!

• Advertisement

Daragh in AK gave me a free pair with the shoes which was nice. I wore them once so far and really liked the comfort of them. Felt really nice. Have only ran 10 miles in them so can't really offer marathon advice. Can't see why they wouldn't be ok.

PY's advice about not putting them through the tumble dryer came too late though 😀

I’ve done the 10k, half and 3/4 marathons there. Hopefully you’ll be a distance away from the start when the 10Km start but I found that having the other races start while you are running is quite distracting in a good way. The slower 10Km people might get in your way a bit as they walk 3 or 4 abreast but they are suddenly gone and that loop is over and you might find you didn’t;t even notice it in a way. I’ve always enjoyed Galway even in mad weather in 2019. The wind and rain were side on but it was warm so the only issue was when you’d to run out the pier or whatever it’s called as the wind was pushing us backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Did 10 miles in the Endorphin Pro 3 today, out of the box, including 4x1.5m intervals. They felt great, even at slow paces. Felt nice and snappy during the intervals and the pace was very comfortable anywhere you could get into a rhythm. I felt they cornered well too as the loop I was using has some tight turns. I'll get a better idea of how they compare to other shoes when I take them for some marathon pace miles on Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭chabsey

Anyone heard anything about when the Brooks Hyperion Elite 3's might be available over here? I called a few shops earlier in the year who said there were some delays but that they'd be in stock with ample time before marathon season. So far....nowt.

Oh I remember the rain in 2019, the photo's are amongst the most dramatic of my 'running career' 🙂 The '1:40 pacers' were amongst the best I've run with and set what was at the tíme a PB. No pacers this year though as they're claiming the course is too narrow 🙂.

Need to 'Google' now what to eat in the next few days. Don't really fancy huge amounts of pasta. I've never really 'cárb loaded' in any big way.

I’ve been with a nutritional coach for the last 1.5 years and she has coached me through an ultra as well as various races. Before the Ultra and before my very long runs my calories are increased by 300 a day … all carbs, so I add in things like rice cakes with jam as snacks, a banana, stuff like that. I’d always have oats for breakfast, sandwich for lunch, pasta / rice / potatoes for dinner. I use My Fitness Pal to track and I have about 5-6g of carbs per kg weight …. So if you are 70kg in weight about 350g of carbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I've been thinking about this a bit more, as I struggle with ingesting carbs prior to marathons, I think.

How long before the race do you begin the regime? Isn't 5-6g/kg quite low?

For long runs I up my calories the day before and the day of by 300 but for the marathon it will prob be an extra day or two on that. It’s working perfectly for me though my regular daily calories were all upped by 100 two weeks ago with the increased mileage and I was starting to drop weight and feel hungry. I’m not sure whether 5-6g is low to be honest. It feels quite high eating all those carbs and I’m not one ever to restrict myself or restrict any food groups so I’m well used to carbs. I’m always perfectly fuelled these days and my recovery is also good.

Actually I just checked back in My Fitness Pal and my calories increased from the Wednesday before the ultra last year and I did it in the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Thanks, two pairs ordered today.

Small bit of a rant. I try and support Irish shops but one was charging €7 delivery and the other €6 for a pair of socks! They were already slightly more expensive then the manufacturer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

For last Sundays run, I started on Thursday, Friday was my 'big day' and a lower amount on Saturday.

The biggest tip I got (from a nutritionist) was to break it into hour or 2 hour chunks - e.g. dont stuff 200g in 1 hour as your body cant absorb all that.

I think I done a really good job for my training run vrs previous Marathons - Buttermilk Pancakes, white bread, Pizza, Pasta, Carb Drinks, Overnight Oats during the day, I brought a Gel and Carb drink to my daughters football match as I knew I'd be out for 2-3 hours - still got 90g of Carbs in that timeframe doing that.

I got about 8g/KG on Friday (640g) and while I was 'full' I wasn't bloated. On The Sat - I had dinner about 3-4pm and a small snack and carb drink later on.

Its certainly something I'm going to do a much better job on for future marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MooShop

Oh that's very interesting, I have actually started to wonder about the nutrition side of things myself, as I've started to become more consistent with my running, and whether I should go to someone like that.

Would be interested to hear more around how it works, how they account for your training/races etc. Having meals that suit me but also my family are important to stay on track and makes things easier if prepping the same meals.

Though by what you've said there, that shouldn't be an issue as it seems quite flexible in regards to what you can eat.

So the lady I’m with has very similar tastes to myself and would post frequent recipes that she creates on Instagram. I was following her for a while prior to signing up. She has two programs … one where she will write a meal plan for you (based on what you like of course) and the other is IIFYM (If It Fits Your Macros) where she tells me how many calories and then macros and I use My Fitness Pal to plan based on that. That means all my meals are very much based around what we eat normally at home etc. It’s very easy for me as I love cooking and meal planning and would have always cooked from scratch anyway. I started with her in order to lose weight and to stop yo yo dieting and she pushed me with strength work too which I now love. My priority is running though so when I check in with her weekly I always include what runs I’ve done that week but also what is planned and while my calories don’t change that often they have been increased every few weeks during marathon training based on my feedback about how I’m feeling and whether I’ve long runs etc. The whole thing is there are no restrictions and I’m eating to fuel myself and to feel good these days which I love.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MooShop

That sounds really good, great to get that feedback but also just to go off macros so you can plan around what you like to eat. I'm not a fussy eater either.

Does she have a specific title, like Nutritionist or something related to sports etc.? Just so I could look up something similar in my area. Thanks

She’s a nutritional coach or nutritionist … but she’s online. She happens to live locally to me but it’s all in the phone or online. I’ll pm you get details and you can follow her and then find somebody similar. I’d follow somebody for a while before signing up and make sure they will work for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

I had a Curry and Cheese chips and a 1/4 pounder from the local chippers Saturday night before my 32km run on Sunday morning. Seemed to work well for me 😂

lol

For a slightly more cultured pre 20 miler I had an Indonesian Chicken Rendang Curry.

I eat a lot of porridge and bananas anyway and they seem to be the sort of food that's recommended anyway?

Saturday morning is an 8:30 start, so I'll have to set the alarm for about 4:30 am to have breakfast out of my system. I have IBS, especially irritated by cows milk, so need to eat long before any race... Maybe add either no or very little milk to the porridge in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭event

Went out for 4 miles yesterday to test the ankle. No issues. Gonna do 6 miles tomorrow, then an LSR on Sunday. All in the Asics, hoping to be good with them now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

I did the Full there last year having done the Half previously. You already know the route. Hopefully you will get a good day. I won't lie passing through the finish area 6 times is mentally challenging, the terrain is rough around the finish area too and the last couple of times when you're tired it just doesn't feel good. The Half or 10k runners didn't bother me. There wasn't so many that it was annoying, what was more annoying was that by the time I was on my last lap there were on a lot of families out with buggies, dogs on leads and kids on scooters/stabilisers to navigate. There was good support though - obviously nothing like DCM but a few came out around Blackrock, Seapoint and the finish area in particular. Best of luck, hopefully the weather will co-operate, and you'll have a super run.

Advertisement