Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I carry far more fuel on me than is sensible, but depending on the situation may not actually need to make use of any for the duration. It's usefulness for most people is overstated I think, and I carry mine for medical reasons rather than fueling reasons. Definitely a physiological benefit, but a bit dubious about how strong the need is for the vast majority of us.

There may be fraction of a percentage difference for the elites, but does that really matter for the rest of us.

Water I can certainly do nearly marathon distance without, but that is dependent on the time of year. Most of the water during a race goes over my head. The tiny sips of water are likely irrelevant as far as hydration levels are concerned and mostly just for comfort of not having your mouth feeling like sandpaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭marathon2022

With time and training (years) anyone can adapt physiologically and psychologicaly to running long distance, especially easy and slow pace without fuel and hydration. I wanted to know who has run/race DCM without hydration or fuel?

As this is the largest most frequented running forum in Ireland I would presume if as the poster implied lots of people run DCM without fuel or hydration some of the posters here do it. If so I would like to know how their recovery went and how much if any gain run of the mill (vaste majority of posters here) runner would get from not carrying or using fuel and hydration as during the DCM. If there is or they know of any science behind the average runner not using hydration or fueling during marathons to illicit gains I would also be very interested. I have access to most of the science journals including paywall so no worries about linking to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

Not the piont i was making. Some people do run dublin without water as it wont be hot but not many.

Piont i was making to newbie runners is dont panic if you miss a water stop that you had planned to get pre race. It really wont make a difference missing one. I hear runners talk like their race is ruined because they could not get water on the 3rd water stop they had planned pre race. Just relax and not worry if you miss one. Get water in next one they're very regular in dublin. Worrying and overthinking is more damaging to your race imo. Need to be nice and relaxed to breathe well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Fastlane 3/4 or Irish 3/4 ?

Anyone done either recently? Haven't done the 3/4 since it used to be held in Glasson.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,677 ✭✭✭Trampas

Fast lane the sound of it would put me off if doing Dublin. Dublin isn’t hilly but not flat and I say fast lane is flat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

I did the Fastlane 10km earlier this year. If it’s the same route with 3 loops it will get very boring very quickly over the course of 32km.

I’m going up to Longwood myself for their 3/4

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Sorbet

I tried one from the post 10k race series bag and liked it so got about €50 worth from this website https://www.enervit.com/it/tutti-i-prodotti.html but took a while. Like you say didn’t seem readily available anywhere else and lots of Italian in websites and emails. That said very happy so far with the products themselves.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've done a few 5 lap marathon courses over the last couple of years and it really wasn't too bad. First lap it's all new, next lap you think did we already run this but, next lap you think it's a bit rubbish doing laps but then realise that your half way now, next lap you think about where you'll push on on the final lap, and the last lap is the last lap so you just dig in.

Don't be put off by laps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Charliebull

training wise I would do up to 20 miles without either, just 2litres and and a banana before I go, not sure if this is sensible or not, only issue is what goes in must come out

I find the gels actually make me thirsty

for the marathon i prob will take water around the 18 mile mark and hope that sees me home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

I did 33k at the weekend. Little under 3 hours. Had 5 gels and 500ml water. Had a drink after but maybe just another 150ml. Not to say that'll work for other people. Quite a cool morning (7am). If it was warmer would drink more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Out of interest, how is your recovery after those runs? The reason I ask is that if I do my long runs well fuelled and fuelling en route I recover much faster and also just eat normally for the rest of the day. Before I used not take as much fuel on board for training runs but found I used get headaches after and spend the day picking at food, most likely the wrong food at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,746 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Does the Luas run cross city on marathon morning or does it only go to certain point thst morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

luas runs as usual , red line goes under the rialto bridge where the marathon crosses and the green line route is out of the way

edit - actually red line will terminate at museum for a few hours in morning as the runners head up towards smithfield.. i dont think the green line is impacted tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭marathon2022

That's a lot of water to drink in one go? Do you run your 20 milers in the morning or evening?

Green line stops while you cross the green to go to cuff street

Even in a cool day you’ll lose fluids even during an easy hour run. Unless you’re like Prince Andrew and can’t sweat at all.

Like everything you’ve got to practice and train for a considerable amount of time before deciding on I’m not going to drink a drop over 30km run.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Is there any way of selling a Dublin Marathon entry or deferring to next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Best options for family coming up to watch / cheer on / remove my body from the course?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

The Irish 3/4 route has changed this year - it used to be billed as 3/4 as hilly as Dublin, but is flatter now apparently. - A lovely route, a great spread afterwards with their famous Crisp Sambos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

enervit are a fairly well established cycle nutrition company. I think the main Irish distributor is Nicolas Roche's sports distribution company. Roca Sports https://rocasports.ie/product-category/cycling/nutrition/

They do even have a Dublin marathon pack but I really don't see anything unique about ithttps://rocasports.ie/product/enervit-dublin-marathon-pack/

For local suppliers try some of the cycle shops. The old cycleways on Parnell Street used to stock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Ordered a few bits off their Italian site, better to be sure before the day and get a taste for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Unknownability

The running shop in Tullamore stocks these products.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Bizarre that they'd put samples in race series goodie bags and then require people to hire a private detective when they want to buy some.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

I wonder if they've a stall at the expo. Is there a list anywhere to check?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It’s just promotion. I liked the ones I demoed but no desire to change from previous habits.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,128 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

When it comes to gels on marathon I wouldn’t be relying on picking them up off the volunteers. I’ve ran by them. Flavour might not be what you like. Best off having your own supply by carrying them all or having someone you know giving you them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

Wrong thread

Post edited by event on

usually out the door at 6am, have to be back for kids football matches

generally fine, i would be Hungry during the day but no other side effects

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Are there Darts on Sunday morning heading into town? Earliest one on a Sunday isn't until 9:18 (Dun Laoghaire).

I thought I remember something years ago about a special Dart. Maybe not.

Advertisement