Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

cull who exactly and that performance in the wasps game was a one off. unique set of circumstances..

I have no problem agreeing that one can avail of the relief when residing elsewhere in the EU, but as the only tax that can be reclaimed is that which was paid to the Revenue Commissioners, it's a tad irrelevant to the point that I was making. (Had he remained in France, he wouldn't have accumulated any additional earnings years to claim the relief for.) But by returning to play in Ireland, he has added another two (or possibly 3) reckonable years to the number from which he can select his ten best for relief purposes. Clear now?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Apropos of nothing, the only new Boards feature I like since the upgrade is the ability to post pics directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

That performance was against a similarly weakened Wasps side playing a bunch of Championship players who then also got a red card early on. It was a good performance with lots of positives, but the lack of context from those who bring it up again and again needs to be noted. Provincial Academy sides had regularly beaten Championship sides in the B&I Cup when that had been running so a Munster side with a lot of Academy players should have done well against a 14 man Wasps team with a lot of Championship players. That isn’t the basis for any form of short term success.

That performance was against a similarly weakened Wasps side 

Not entirely; as far as I recall, Wasps were missing 19 players but Munster were missing 34, so basically missing another full 15 again.

But I agree with the overall point. I don't think we need wholesale culling (and gawd knows people have been calling for POM's head for as long as I can remember) but I think guys like Archer absolutely need to be replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,286 ✭✭✭✭phog

We were also missing our coaches & backroom staff, they too were stranded in SA.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,104 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

I'm not going to name any names of players but we're now in our 6th game in a row (after Leinster, Ulster, the 2 pre-seasons, Cardiff and Dragons) that have all been lost because of a huge amount of schoolboy errors, in that time we've brought in 2 new coaches and gotten rid of the coach that we thought was causing all the problems. I just think it's time the players were looked at more closely.

To use context how many silly errors did the kids make in that game?

I just think it's time the players were looked at more closely.

I don’t think anyones saying the players aren’t part of the problem tho. Archer, for example, seems to give away that “on the wrong side” penalty almost every game. He’s in a 1 year contract so is a player I expect to be in his final year for Munster.

To use context how many silly errors did the kids make in that game?

Oh, lots, as far as I recall. It was an incredibly loose (at times mad) game, as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's a shame about Farrell. His presence could make a difference. But it's probably best that he stepped aside during this investigation.

I suppose the effect of Farrells legal woe's, lessens Munster. Is it too late to sign a loaner? I assume Farrell is not being paid?

I’d assume he absolutely is getting paid, no?? It’s an ongoing case, he hasn’t been convicted.

In any case I think we probably have enough cover there with Fekitoa, Goggin, Scannell and Frisch. Shane Daly and Liam Coombes have also played there. And we have emergency options like Earls and Crowley too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jcon1913

again lots of simple stuff done wrong against Dragons

Archer - agree with previous posters - how many times does he give silly penalties away?

where is the “dog” in that performance? Not one Munster guy won his game against his opposing number except maybe Casey

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Not sure if this has been mentioned but just heard Murray K mentioning Synman has possibly had another set-back and might not be near playing again. Rotten luck for him if true.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

At that point who is missing is pretty relevant also. Munster did great, but it was two shadow sides at the end of the day.

As is usually the case with these things, there are many factors at play. While acknowledging worrying signs, its early days yet in Rowntree's tenure and the provinces preseasons are never as good as they could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

Zebo didn't leave Munster until 2018. His last cap was in June 2017 in Japan. He didn't feature at all for Ireland in the 2017-18 season while he was still at Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭leakyboots

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

knee infection.... back December...

In which case I'd rephrase it as the last season he was considered for Ireland before moving to Racing, he played all but 8 minutes in the 2 Test vs NZ, and all but 6 minutes in the 6 Nations, starting all those games; he wasn't picked for Ireland in that season because he was leaving.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

He didn't feature for Ireland again after news of his move broke in Oct 2017. Seeing as he'd been involved with the national team so much the previous season, the odds are he would have stayed involved if he hadn't announced he was leaving Ireland. Which is what I think aloooof was alluding to.

Nothing to do with his ability but all to do with the selection policy of not selecting players who are moving or playing abroad.

and yes, I know there are very rare exceptions to that but for the majority that is the selection policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,941 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Yeah, in fairness to Zebo he was axed after his departure was announced.

Equally though, his period as first choice coincided with an absolute dearth of other (fit) wingers.

It's fair enough to say that Joe was never a real fan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Munster were missing 34 players, but how many of those would have been ahead of guys in the 23 that day. Let’s not forget that Kilcoyne, Beirne, POM, Murray, Carbery, Earls, DDA, Farrell and Conway all started that day. So it doesn’t matter how many centres you were missing, you had your first choice centre pairing out. Wasps had a Championship player and a winger as their centres.

I don’t want to ignore the positives from that game, but it seems in some quarters this was one of those miracle games where a team full of kids went up against a strong Premiership side. That’s not what happened. Granted you agree…..

Munster were missing 34 players, but how many of those would have been ahead of guys in the 23 that day.

I count 5 starters and all the bench that wouldn’t have featured at all but for the circumstances.

We had 12 debuts in total.

You also had Farrell and Hodnett pushed to return early from injury, iirc, so I’d be surprised if they were 100%, and also may not have featured but for the circumstances.

Farrell made his first appearance of the season, DDA and Conor Murray their first start. Hodnett made his first start in 13 months.

And as phog mentioned, the coaching and backroom staff missing too added to the disruption.

It was a pretty unique and memorable set of circumstances, so I understand people viewing it thru slightly rose-tinted glasses.

Especially considering I also remember some of the negativity on here around that match as well which was ridiculous. If people are going to err on the side of positivity when it comes to supporting their rugby team, I’m completely fine with that.

(And the same thing happens for all the Provinces; we often hear about “the kids” in the Leinster thread).

Post edited by aloooof on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Anyone know if there's something else on in Limerick on same day as Munster v Ulster match by any chance? Had a look there and looks like the trains arriving into Colbert from Cork for 3pm and 4pm are already sold out (and 5,6,8 and 11 but wouldn't be any good for the match). Guess it could just be the bank holiday weekend or people heading to Dublin.

Had a look at match tickets and seems to be a fair few left so not sure trains would sell already for the match but maybe that could explain the 3 and 4pm ones anyway.

or people heading to Dublin

I guess you're right, it's the Cork/Dublin section that's booked out rather than the Limerick junction to Limerick section of the journey

Halloween and bank holiday weekend possibly increasing the people looking for nights out across the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,502 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

That Bank holiday weekend is also dublin marathon weekend

That's on the Sunday so shouldn't be affecting seats going south on the Saturday. Robbie Williams plays 3arena on the Friday and Saturday. Minor effect from that I'd say though

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Yeah but Limerick Junction-Limerick services also sold out. Guess it's a busy weekend in general with the bank holiday and the other stuff on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

Hodson used to play with con a few years ago and was playing in the mlr last time i checked. think he played a few A games for munster but i dont think he played a full game

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Ah yeah the Midleton guy. Quite a few years since he played anything with Munster. been based in states for 3/4 years

Advertisement