Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Going by models we could possibly have our first named storm of the season next Friday :/, gonna be a chilly night ahead with lows down to 3c for me

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just chatting with family in Newfoundland and we are so lucky.. Some are in sheltered accommodation after the hurricane.

So ...quiet.... Yes a little cooler but not serious. Such a lovely autumn and an awesome crop of berries.

West Mayo offshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Yes it was on par with opheilia but much deeper pressure 931.5mb but over 500,000 got power cuts

Was out for a smoke before bed around 10 or half 10. Saw something in the corner of my eye and looked up, looked like a meteorite lasted 2 3 seconds from when I saw it. Was quite bright , biggest I can remember seeing for a while anyway although nothing on the scale of the one from a few weeks ago from the videos I saw of that.

It was approaching from the West heading East.

Anyone else see it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Another dry day. September seems to have been incredibly dry. I must check the stats on that later. Great weather for walking and harvesting.

The lake and river levels are very low. A local trout fisherman told me that there is very little oxygen in the water and the fish are very weak (i.e. may not survive a catch and release). He said the angling clubs are hoping for rain.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

Lovely to hear the sound of the breeze. It has been so silent of late.

I wasn’t sure where to post this. I didn’t want to post it in the climate change thread because it’s just a pathetic and bitchy thread that’s best avoided.

And it’s not my intention to turn this in to a whether climate change is real or not debate. Purely posting this out of interest and how this could effect the weather on this island if they were to do this. @sryanbruen what do you think of this and it’s potential impacts for us if they were to do it and it played out as they thought it would?

Some snippets below and link to full article.

Scientists propose controversial plan to refreeze North and South Poles by spraying sulphur dioxide into atmosphere

They say high-flying jets could spray microscopic aerosol particles into the atmosphere to reflect sunlight and cool the melting icecaps.

But a former UK chief scientist backed the plans, telling Sky News that polar warming is now critical - and refreezing the ice could hold back the rise in global sea levels.

The new study was led by Wake Smith from Yale University in the United States.

Just over 13m tonnes of particles released in the spring and summer would be enough to cool the polar regions by 2C, with more moderate cooling at mid-latitudes, according to the research published in the scientific journal Environmental Research Communications.

Other scientists are also cautious about unleashing solar shading because it could have unintended consequences, such as reducing crop yields.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

They don't even have a fleet of aircraft capable of flying payloads to the altitudes required. Complete nonsense of an idea.

r A wild loud night it has turned into. True autumn..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kutebride

A very fresh afternoon on Dollymount Strand today. Definitely clear the cobwebs.

Now it sounds wintery in Meath tonight. Not used to this sound after such a long stint of calm weather.

The wind is "tidying" the drive... So kind!

Well, I think that today may well be the day I light the first fire of this autumn/winter season,, A landmark.

Distinctly shivery ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Temperatures are currently well below normal for the time of year so not surprised many people are lighting fires/turning heating on. It's more like late October than end of September in terms of temperatures.

First time to pop on full sleeves top for the morning run. Bright, calm and cool. Still cool temps this afternoon but lovely and bright and great drying in that wind now. 14° Meath.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Managed to get the lawn cut just in time before a heavy shower hit. Despite the cool temperatures the sun still felt warm, however it is now gone very cool, wet and blustery. It only feels like a week or 2 since temperatures were reaching 20C or more every day, hard to believe we are now almost one third of the way through Autumn and Autumn really has arrived here this week. This September has been very different to the very warm/hot September we had last year. However things look like they will warm up as we enter the first week of October.

Post edited by Gonzo on

Wow Gonzo I didnt manage to get the lawn cut this weekend in between all weathers and random showers. After reporting cool and bright this afternoon it has turned darky and very blustery. Its so much colder than the temps we have been used to. 14° Meath.

Here's an interesting one at the Durrow AWS --- yesterday's max and today's max exactly 12hrs 1min apart! (This station is set to the 09UTC-09UTC observing system). The "night max" 1.1c warmer too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Cool out in the brisk NW'ly wind cutting the grass tonight here in Kerry, first time with a winter jacket and hat on in awhile. Cool building in work today, all the storage heaters set to come on tonight and fire lit at home, certainly feels like Autumn now with the nights closing in. High of 14.5C today and currently 13.4C .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

On a similar theme. I have been working out the mean time that both maxima and minima will occur at my particular station (Dv2). It is a working progress so far from compete, but so far, the average time that both maxes and mins will occur in each month since May:

Month - Max - Min

May - 15:40 - 05:35

June - 15:37 - 05:21

July - 15:54 - 05:31

August - 15:20 - 05:35

September - 15:04 - 07:06

Useless info in itself, but interesting to me at least.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Time to toughen up, as the wind wuthers and the rain drums.... Actually it feels so familiar I don;t mind, lol... Grown "nesh" in the lovely weather... (old North of England term for soft, and NOT a compliment)

Heavy hard rain and I see we are set for it to last and last today.

First fire of the season hereby LIT ... A landmark day..

Post edited by Graces7 on

Ah but no info is ever useless... Sooner or later it fits into the great jigsaw called "knowledge."

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Next week looks nice. Dry and mild. I love Autumn more and more as I get older.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

It is a gentler , less demanding and more restful season...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭appledrop

I like autumn but this Sept has been a disaster in Dublin.

We are at 120mm already for month and it's still raining today.

Feels very cold aswell for the time of year.

The difference is awesome for one country.Out here on the West Coast hardly any rain all month and good sunshine,, The best September I remember in many a while. A real pleasure of a month. Last night the first real rain in weeks.

West Mayo offshore,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

We had a mixture of nearly everything this month in Leitrim. Turned cooler quite quickly over the last couple of weeks mind.

The lawns need cutting but the grounds too wet at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

Really later autumnal seasonal weather now. And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when. I'm stuck in a Portlaoise Prison and time keeps dragging on.

I'm looking forward to winter now. For some reason I expect something really big in terms of winter storms or snow and cold.

An overcast, cool and dampish day in southern Laois. 0.8mm in the AWS since 10am and temperatures hovering at 11c in a west to northwest breeze around 10mph. A real feel of mid-Autumn/late October out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My house is hanging on to the last vestiges of summer warmth in its bricks, wont be long until the heating needs to come back on. Debating whether to light the wood stove this evening.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement