Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2023

Options

Comments

It's amazing that the people at the very bottom, who often deliberately don't look for jobs for years and who scam the system, are being rewarded - as always, yet again.

Amazing. And vile.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The welfare increase will only lead to more people, who are in the lower skilled job market, concluding correctly in the round that the scratcher either pays better than work or they'll have a better lifestyle on it.

Who could blame them? It's the system to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Murph85

Long term wasters getting a bigger weekly increase, than those on 30k will be getting in a tax deduction. Vintage ffg! Fg dont look after the early risers, they look after those that dont rise until afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

i cant afford the sub to that petty bourgeois paper so I don't get to see how much I'm going to get.

Judging by the comments here so far - very little...

Oh well, - guess I should just work a little harder to pay for the layabouts. My bad.

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Agree completely, loads of jobs out there at the moment.

But it would be political suicide not to increase it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Which item will the one that misses the target? I'd usually bet on something like disability/carer allowance, but that looks handled this year.

I see unemployment benefit is been increased by 13 euro

It would be nice to see the cost be the same but the recently unemployed get 20 and the long term something like 5 (minus the cost of having to handle the administration costs for the difference) and have the gap widen each budget day.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

25 per cent reduction in childcare costs has been agreed for 2023 

Renters to get €1,000 tax breaks over two years

Businesses in line for payments of up to €10,000 a month to help them with energy bills

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Jeez they will not do much on €20 a week. Hope the recently unemployed have plenty of savings because if that's all you would give them they would be homeless next.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

The widening of the tax bands always gives more money to those that earn above. I would have liked the lower earners to be relieved of some of the regressive USC.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

USC is progressive, as the rates rise with income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

It's amazing that people like you have nothing better to do but attack the less well off. If your not happy in your work then why don't you go on the the dole see how you do.

In case you have not noticed the price of everything has gone up ao its only right it should go up and that money will go back to the Government again anyway.

Stop moaning like an old Woman and live your life how you want. Let others figure out there's.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,762 ✭✭✭straight

It's about time the higher rate taxpayers got a break.....

Well said, a lot of apathy in here. I still remember trying to live off €188 back during the crash. Those were a hard 18 months for me back then but nothing I imagine compared to now for someone on welfare and renting and paying utilities etc. my medical card back then didn't heat the house or put food on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

they should really change the name so, or get rid of it altogether, and just roll it in with some other tax

• Registered Users Posts: 16,619 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think you misread or (hopefully) being sarcastic somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭DataDude

Someone earning €50k pays 7 times as much USC as someone earning €20k.

Someone earning €200k pays 60 times as much USC as someone earning €20k.

It can’t be avoided through pension contributions and share schemes etc.

It’s the complete opposite of a regressive tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

How is the 25 percent reduction in child care going to be implemented?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Tax cuts and large spending.

Disaster ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

If we all went on the dole who would pay for the dole??

Some of us realise someone has to keep the lights on.

Be nice to be acknowledged every once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Someone on welfare now has their rent and utilities paid for by the tax payer.

Next………

• Advertisement

Yeah life is a box of chocolates I bet these days on HAP and fuel allowance 😅

And if you are in a house share you might not qualify for some of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

So social welfare recipients will get €12 a week, those in the top tax bracket will get about €12 week, but what for the people working earning less than €36,000, I haven't seen any leaks for that demographic, are they being left out?

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Curious myself...on €37,000 and wondering what I'm getting

A budget for the rich and the poor?

Giving more people free GP access should be interesting.

As per usual the GPs will be up in arms about it.

They get what as it stands 3k a year per patient whether they see them or not on the card scheme? Those who get saddled with an older or very young demographic who are in more often might not be happy.

After the fortune they made over Covid, I don't think the public will tolerate their nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭jaffa20

`Yes, exactly... the lower paid. I'm wondering the same. Nothing in leaks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Swaine

The wasters looked after as usual, a few scraps to the folk who get up and do a days work. No wonder half of Ukraine want to come here.

As someone who pays €350 a week in tax, it would be nice to get something back for once.

• Advertisement

I foresee issues with the childcare stuff. Outside of the ECCE and other government schemes, what’s to stop the private providers increasing the rates when they see subsidies being thrown around by government. Throwing money like this just kicks the can down the road til the next year and so on. No easy fix, but in time I’d like to see the crèche and early education scheme become part of our state education programme, a level below primary but state provided. (Won’t happen as certain crèche chains are coining it in state money while paying low skilled workers a pittance).

Interesting to see how the doctors react to the gp card. My own local surgery only start seeing general patients in April as the phone and video “consultations” were a little too liked. They certainly weren’t too busy..

Advertisement