Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Licensee renting troubles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

I've searched through the thread and cannot find your reference to threshold siding with a LL in a tenncy dispute about a tenant taking in a licensee. You might repost the link / reference.

As @DFB-D posted, the legal advice they received was that such a restriction would be unenforcable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Thanks. I was looking in your posts.

The OP stated that John had not told the landlord that he (the OP) had moved in. In failing to notify in writing the landlord of the identity of each person (other than a multiple tenant) who, for the time being, resides ordinarily in the dwelling, John is in breach of his obligations under section 16 of the RTA and, as advised by Threshold, the landlord would be entitled to issue John with a notice to remedy the matter, and if not remedied, with a notice of termination.

The simplest way for John to remedy the situation is for John to notify in writing the landlord of the identity of each person (other than a multiple tenant) who, for the time being, resides ordinarily in the dwelling. John is then in compliance with his legal obligations.

The landlord has no right to approve or disapprove whether John invites someone into his home, only the right to be notified. The 'excuse' of overcrowding would not hold up with only three people in a three bedroom house.

Once John notifies the landlord in writing that the OP, for the time being, resides ordinarily in the dwelling the landlord will have to accept it

You have yet to provide a link to any part of the RTA that negates the lease’s clause relating to the number of occupants. Sections 12 and 16 make no reference to a landlord’s obligation to allow as many paying occupants as the tenant wants to live there, nor a tenant’s entitlement to ignore the terms of the lease in relation to the number of paying occupants. I will concede that where a licensee does rent in the property, the LL has no power to veto who the licensee is, but that is after the fact that the lease can state how many paying occupants there are. John has agreed to that number in the lease agreement, and there is no term in the RTA that over rides that. To say that peaceful enjoyment is affected by the refusal to allow an extra occupant is ridiculous, as the tenant enjoys peace by adhering to the terms of the lease which were agreed when John signed it.

Why would you be looking in my posts when I was saying that Threshold sided with John’s LL?

I’m annoyed with myself for engaging with you again.

Post edited by Dav010 on

Why would you be looking in my posts when I was saying that Threshold sided with John’s LL?

This perhaps ...

As I posted earlier, when Threshold sides with a LL in a tenancy dispute, you know the tenant is on the wrong side of the argument.

As explained, notifying the LL in writing is all John is obliged to do. The LL seeking the right to approve or disapprove is an modification, variation or restriction of the tenants duty to notify the LL in writing of anyone ordinarily resident, which would fall foul of section 18(1) of the RTA. The tenant cannot contract out of any of their rights.

@DFB-D 's legal advice was that such a restriction in a lease would be unenforceable.

Worst case, John informs the LL in writing that the OP, for the time being, is ordinarily resident. The LL still isn't happy and issues a warning notice. John disputes the validity of the warning notice and opens a dispute with the RTB. The LL can do nothing until the RTB makes a determination on the dispute. If I were the LL I wouldn' be betting my shirt on the outcome.

If I were the OP I wouldn't be going anywhere in a hurry. If it comes to it, let it wait until the RTB issues it's determintion, and I don't think he will have to go anywhere then.

• Advertisement

The definition of a licensee given in snowcat's earlier post

Licensee – is a person allowed to reside in a rental property but has no rights as a tenant. A licensee in a private rented dwelling is there by invitation of the tenant, the relationship of a licensee is with the tenant and not with the landlord. The tenant is under a statutory obligation to inform the landlord of the identity of resident in the dwelling however, the landlord is not in a position to to accept or veto the individual concerned as he/she would with a tenant. The tenant is responsible for all of the acts and commissions of their licensee, should the licensee breach an obligation applying to the tenancy the tenant will be in breach – example of breach could be anti-social behaviour or redecorating without the landlord’s written consent.

Is taken directly from the Irish Property Owners' Association website https://ipoa.ie/difference-between-subletting-an-assignment-and-a-licensee/ As a national association who represent landlords I'd be inclined to accept their experience and interpretation.

My advice to the OP would be to stay put. Ensure John notifies the LL in writing (registered post or recorded delivery preferable) that you are ordinarily resident.

My advice to the LL would be to suck it up and learn the law unless they want to lose a substantial sum in penalties and/or legal costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

How would additional occupants in the dwelling affect the landlords insurance? Do they specify the number of people living there?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭themoone

@mrslancaster Interesting point you bring up RTA 2004 refers to it as follows:

(i) not act or allow other occupiers of, or visitors to, the dwelling to act in a way which would result in the invalidation of a policy of insurance in force in relation to the dwelling,

(j) if any act of the tenant's, or any act of another occupier of, or visitor to, the dwelling which the tenant has allowed to be done, results in an increase in the premium payable under a policy of insurance in force in relation to the dwelling, pay to the landlord an amount equal to the amount of that increase (“the increased element”) (and that obligation to pay such an amount shall apply in respect of each further premium falling due for payment under the policy that includes the increased element),

Most insurance companies do not cover licencees as they are not vetted by the landlord. Insurance companies that allow this, increase the premium significantly.

Although in this case there may not be a case of overcrowding (as we assume that the bed spaces in the lease were defined as three however, we do not know that for a fact) there is a clear breach of the tenant obligation as he failed to inform the landlord of the occupants, in addition by doing so he may have invalidated the landlord's insurance policy.

From what I gather OP has not been there for 6 months nor has he been there "lawfully", there is no clear definition of what "lawfully" is. However, the obligation of the tenant requires him to "inform the landlord of the identity" which I presume is not just a name but more details. But as other posters said this has not been tried so no one can say for sure how this will go.

The lease will state who can reside at the address, the tenant can't alter that without the landlords consent. Most leases require all occupants to sign so there is a binding contract in place between the landlord and all tenants if something should go wrong in the tenancy.

A decent lease will prevent the tenant from adding a licensee or subletting without the landlords permission, the OPs friend will need to check their documentation. Its generally not the case that a tenant just dictates to the landlord who's living there now, a breach of the lease will most likely result in a notice of termination unless an agreement can be reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Insurance companies want to know how many occupants there are. In some cases they also want to know the tenants socio-economic status.

• Advertisement

I always thought a licensee was a paying guest, eg, hotel, b&b, digs etc. which seems to agree with Nos 1-3 on the RTB website. I thought No 4 was included by the RTB to cover guests & visitors eg family or friends in a rented property but not paying guests.

If the RTB wanted to include paying licensees sharing with a tenant in rented accomodation why did they not say "sharing with the owner or the tenant" at No 2 in their list?

From the RTB:

Examples of a licence are a person staying in hotel, hostel or guesthouse or a person sharing a house with the owner.

A licensee is a person who occupies accommodation under license.

Licensees can arise in all sorts of accommodation but most commonly in the following four areas;

1. persons staying in hotels, guesthouses, hostels, etc.,
    2. persons sharing a house/apartment with its owner e.g. under the ‘rent a room’ scheme or ‘in digs’,
    3. persons occupying accommodation in which the owner is not resident under a formal license arrangement with the owner where the occupants are not entitled to its exclusive use and the owner has continuing access to the accommodation and/or can move around or change the occupants,
    4. persons staying in rented accommodation at the invitation of the tenant.

What is the difference between a two day airbnb paying guest and a year long paying guest, ie a licensee/lodger, except the duration of the occupancy. Why would one be allowed but not the other?

Does the RTA allow a tenant to run an airbnb/b&b in a rented property? Would that be a business activity? Does the landlord insurance allow that?

You are getting booged down in minutiae. Licences to be present in a premises come in may ways. The RTB simply gave examples. Any guest is a licensee whether they pay or not and irrespective of the duration. If I am invited to your house for a party, I am in the house under license for bthe duration of the time I am in the house. The RTb is trying to assist people who might be paying rent and where the ll tries to assert the person is a licensee with no rights under the RTA.

AirBnB is a business and is usually forbidden by most leases and insurers would expect to be told if it was being carried on. The RTA doesn't apply to most business leases and AirBnB is a matter between the tenant and the LL.

The questions about licensees and sub-lets keep coming up so maybe others are as confused as me. I think I get it and then a new thread starts that throws new questions into the mix. Renters and owners need to know how things work but sometimes it's not clear from the information available online and boards posts can be very helpful.

I asked someone who works in this area about sub-lets, licenses and assignments and this is my understanding of how she explained it. She said a typical sub-let situation is where the council lease a property from an owner for 10-25 years, pay the owner even if the property is empty and sub-lets to a council tenant. Another situation is when tenants want to leave a fixed term lease early, they move out and sub-let with owners permission. If the owner refuses, they just give the correct notice for their time in occupation. Another is a part4 tenant who wants to sub-let the entire place for a few months while travelling or working abroad. She mentioned this section that I wasn't aware of and hadn't seen discussed on boards; it says sub-letting part of a dwelling is prohibited:

Further special case (sub-letting of Part 4 tenancy).

32.—(1) F1[Schedule 1] to this Act has effect for the purpose of affording protection in relation to a sub-tenancy created out of a Part4 tenancy or a further Part4 tenancy.

(2) The creation of a sub-tenancy in respect of part only of the dwelling, the subject of a Part 4 tenancy or a further Part 4 tenancy, is prohibited.

(3) Any such sub-tenancy purported to be created is void.

An assignment is when a tenant transfers their interest to another person who takes on the original lease with the same T&Cs. This happens when some tenant in a joint lease wants to leave but some don't. With owner permission, the tenant leaving assigns their interest and the replacement can be added as a tenant immediately or have a trial period as a licensee of the original tenants. If the licensee requests to be a tenant, the owner can't refuse as they already agreed to the replacement. The licensee gains part4 rights after 6 months occupation after they're added as a tenant. They don't have to become a tenant and the original tenants left on the lease are liable for the full rent. She said it is usually one in/one out in line with the lease agreement.

She said a licensee who is airbnb or a lodger only arises when it is with an owner. Also, a licensee of a tenant is usually a visitor or guest and arrangements to move in additional occupants would be very unusual and she never heard of a tenant taking in additional renters without the owners permission. Also, residental leases should be stamped with Revenue and the fee is E12.50 - wasn't aware of that.

Posters who know a lot about the RTA are probably fully aware of all the above items. Would welcome clarification about anything that is correct / incorrect, thanks.

Edit: delete duplicate words

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭DFB-D

You have bits and pieces right, nearly right and misquoted there.

E. g. "Stamped" probably means stamp duty and form and if it is payable, the paper form submission will cost 12.50 but the stamp duty will be a little more, min 400 euros :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I wouldn't rely on that. A landlord is under no obligation to allow another person other than the original tenant reside in the property.

If the landlord does allow a person who will be a licensee of the original tenant reside in the property tat person can apply to the landlord to become a tenant and the landlord has no choice in the matter.

I think this argument has been done to death now at this stage with no consensus.

No point in making statements that the landlord can or can't refuse an additional person living there under licence unless you have something to back it up.

I think the summary of the argument is this:

1. The landlord can prevent licences in the lease - no cases or legislation to back this up, based on the effectiveness of the lease terms.

2. The landlord cannot prevent licences as it impacts on exclusive occupation / peaceful enjoyment - no cases but assumed from terms in the RTA.

Section 16h of the RTA requires the tenant to inform the landlord if there is any additional person ordinarily resident in the property. One of the grounds of termination of a tenancy under part 4 is if the accommodation is no longer suited to the needs of the tenant. Bringing in an additional resident may allow the landlord to terminate on this ground.

Section 16h does not permit a tenant to have licensees contrary to a clause in the lease.

it prevents a tenant surreptitiously introducing residents unknown to the landlord.

Where a landlord has tolerated a licence situation for 6 months the licencee can claim to be a tenant.

I’m still waiting for you or anyone else to post a link which allows the tenant to over ride the lease in relation to a limit on the number of occupants.

A lease is a binding contract, there is case law on the enforceability of written tenancy agreements, for example fixed terms and evictions, but you have not shown the legislation which makes a lease non binding in relation to occupancy numbers.

So look, if you know what the relevant legislation is, post it here, but sections 12 and 16 are not it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It doesn't really. While in the case above it would be u reasonable for a LL to refuse permission I. The case here there is no such bar. Now if the OP claimed he was a John's partner then it might be considered unreasonable. But as a friend moving in reasonable would not come into play.

Most leases even fixed term leases have a six month hiatus written into them to allow the LL to evict without giving a reason. John's LL can avail of this to evict.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

And likewise no evidence has been given by you or others to say a landlord can restrict.

Its not enough for me to say a lease is a binding contract, there is a lot of terms which would not be upheld so unless you see it at the RTB.

And that is the problem, there's not much point in discussing it further as no-one has anything but their own experience or opinion. I got legal advice, but that's relevant to me only and I guess not very influencial for anyone else.

BTW, it was not my argument I summarised, it was the arguments I read on this tread. Personally I just think that a solicitor can do the interpretation and I'll apply what they recommend.

Yes, well you can add that to the argument as well. I don't think overcrowding is relevant to the OP's situation, it is different again.

But, still personal opinion and not anything to support, and that is on both sides, hence no point rehashing.

But all I will ask is why omit the protection of preventing new tenants in the act? There is sublet /assignment protection, why not licence protection?

There is no evidence that the legislation over rides the tenancy agreement, if there was, you would have posted the legislation. In the absence of that legislation, a binding contract like a tenancy agreement would apply.

Im not posting about my own experience, I’m asking you, and others to show me the law that backs up your opinion, mine is supported by contract law. If a tenancy is a legally binding agreement, and nothing in the RTA precludes a limit on tenant numbers being agreed between LL and tenant when the contract is signed, you show me what legislation over rides that term of a legally binding contract.

I’ve done my part, now you do yours.

Ask a solicitor if you want to get so vexed about a subject and need a high level of proof. Why are you asking me for this?

I haven't seen any legislation quoted to say a contract is the highest authority, in fact there is a lot of articles stating the lease terms will be disregarded if not consistent with the act, and there was that article posted earlier stating landlords cannot prevent licences, not that I believe everything on the Internet, but clearly there are people in the industry for whatever reason believe you cannot limit licences.

So it is hard to see what anyone's issue is with leaving this matter inconclusive unless they have some proof to add.

The legislation says nothing about the landlord having to be reasonabl in allowing another person reside in the property. The boilerplate lease clause is "not to assign sublet, share or otherwise part with possession without the express written consent of the landlord. There is no case of the RTB finding such a clause void. It is a perfectly reasonable clause for a landlord to insert. The legislation supports the landlord in Section 16(h) of the act. I was in a case where the RTB gave an order agaisnt a tenant who had moved in a flatmate without permission. No mention was made of the tenant having a right to do so or the landlord having to be reasonable.

I was referring to reasonable as in taht in renting the property is considered your home. There was a link posted to an IT article relating to a person wishing to allow a partner share a one bed apartment with them. They had to notify the LL. However if the LL refused they could appeal to the RTB. It would be reason to allow a liciencee on those grounds. In a similar it might be reasonable to refuse if it was a three bed and there were other tenants, just likes its reasonable to refuse if in OP's case.

I rent a 2 bed house to a seperated mother and two children. If she wished to move a partner in IMO even if I refused the RTB would overrule.

Slava Ukrainii

The Irish times article was written by Marcus O’Connor who is a chartered valuation surveyor and member of the Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland, not a lawyer.

He quotes no legislation in his article and it is wrong insofar as he says "Problems arise when tenants move individuals into a property without notifying the landlord as this would be a breach of the tenancy-and-lease agreement in place. In such a situation the landlord would be entitled to end the tenancy due to the breach but only after a 28-day warning letter to rectify the breach had been ignored.".

If a new person was moved in without permission, the landlord would have to give notice that there was a breach of the conditions and give a reasonable time for compliance. Only if there is a failure to comply can the landlord terminate.

The RTB can only force you to accept a tenant after the person has lived in the property for 6 months with your consent.

You were in a case with this?

Can you provide the link then and that would settle it?

I don’t require “a high level of proof”, any proof that the legislation trumps the lease in relation to agreed occupancy numbers will do.

A lease is a binding contract, there is no disputing that. I also do not dispute that a clause in a contract which contradicts the RTA will not be binding, but there is no clause in the RTA that prevents a lease stating the number of occupants who may reside there, ergo there is no legislation which over rides a binding contract on the number of occupants.

• Advertisement

The interpretation of most law is to what is reasonable. In the IT case if the tenant followed the process and moved the tenant in and the LL tried to evict any court would be reluctant to evict. Just like it would be reluctant to evict a house owner from there PPR.

The RTB might rule against the tenant in the IT's case or it might rule for the tenant.

The overriding fact is that the apartment is the tenants home. The home would have constitutional protection no matter the wording of the legislation.

While the LL could refuse a tenancy but could allow a liciencee arrangements in the IT case and make the case that the original tenant be the responsible person for the contract.

However if they had a baby the LL could look for repossession after a reasonable time as a one bed apartment is unsuitable as a family home

In OP case there is no relationship between John and the OP. As I posted earlier if they were same sex partners then the LL might be on less sure territory. However there is no such relationship in this case.

No law on residency and renting is black and white. There are constitutional rights that are enshrined in the constitution and other that can be implied from them.

That is why many giving definitive answers in cases where families, relationships and home ownership are involved are often incorrect.

That is why the writer of the IT article uses the word reasonable. A judge would consider that constitutional law would override any part of the RTB legislation in any particular case.

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement