Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

"overall performance" at what metrics though? Large scale multithreading that's only useful for workstation tasks? Gaming? Scientific?

The 13% is what you're getting from zen4. The rest is clocks (which is coming off the change in node) and a massive power increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

I thought the NDA was lifting at 2pm our time and started refreshing a few youtube channels but nothing yet. https://www.anandtech.com/show/17585/amd-zen-4-ryzen-9-7950x-and-ryzen-5-7600x-review-retaking-the-high-end though seems to confirm the NDA lifted at 2pm so guess I'll have to do a little reading to start ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

Or maybe not for the reading just yet ;)

Gamer's Nexus video is up now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRaJXZMOMPU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Power draw does seem to have increased notably. Between an Nvidia GPU and 7950X, we'll have the house heated.

I'm not entirely convinced by the power draw either, they haven't fudged the numbers quite as much as Intel did for the 12 series but the TDP is not actually the TDP this generation, and running a 240w part at 95 Celsius by design seems mad. I suspect 13th gen is going to hit hard and that's why they've pushed the boat out as much as they have. If Intel is finally getting its fabs back on track AMD could be in trouble again.

Also not happy with the 300 quid entry level price but I'm resigned to it.

Aye the pricing is not ideal. I know a lot of people put the prices down to inflation but what I think is slightly more relevant is the price of consoles relative to gaming PCs as they are the obvious alternative at the end of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Add in the price of a mobo and DDR5 and it's even less attractive at the moment. Hopefully that changes with a bit of time.

I will be taking a look at this 5800x3D chip on Black Friday though. I'm sure there will be great deals on DDR4 and older motherboards.

32 gigs of RAM, 5800x3D, RX 6900 XT... Could all be had for decent prices!

Some pretty insane numbers there. Absolutely no effect on single core results at 65w limit. Multi core obviously is taking a bit, but even so it's not disastrous. Temperatures come right down too.

Wonder what happens when you undervolt. Both companies seem to be chasing benchmark numbers in an environment where lots of people get their news from youtubers who are balancing video editing effort with actual investigations...

• Advertisement

And another mental video from der8auer. Maybe another **** IHS or thermal interface is to blame?

Yes, we're now at the stage where a series x is the price of the cpu, never mind the gpu. Pc gaming is honestly not that much more impressive than a current gen console on a huge tv

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Gaming PC at the entry level is still good enough value, but mid to upper mid range, let alone high end, is becoming ridiculously expensive.

I got a Lenovo with 5700G and 3060Ti for about 1,100 a good few months back, even before the Crypto bust.

Usually I upgrade very regularly but at this stage, I'll run this until it's noticably starting to under perform, which will be a long time yet.

Before we had all sorts of tiers in budget, entry level, mid-tier, and so-on, but now it's like entry level and then everything else. There's no real scale of affordability for the vast majority of people anymore.

https://youtu.be/FaOYYHNGlLs

PBO2 seems to be the way to go with Zen 4

That will struggle to do 4k gaming though, which the xbox is doing at less than half the price...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Xbox/PS5 have very few native-4K titles.

It's almost always checkerboard rendering (upscaling).

That's on developers rather than the console, though. Fact remains consoles can do it while a 500 quid pc won't get close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

It's not on developers, it is a performance limit. Current gen consoles have roughly the processing power of an Nvidia 2080 and it can't do native 4K/60fps with high fidelity titles either, not to mention it will probably be a while before devs manage to squeeze even that potential out of them. They will never do native 4K/60fps plus on anything remotely good looking, you will always have some form of lower resolution upscaling. They will give you better gaming performance than an equivalently priced PC true but imho you end up losing that cost benefit over time with higher priced games and the requirement for a sub for any multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Jon Doe

It's the IHS. He says so at 14:55. For the sake of AM4 compatibility...

*partial* AM4 compatibility, assuming stock backplate is used. A change in TIM might offset the IHS inefficiency somewhat. Maybe the big benefit will be for 3d vcache chips which now have a lot of extra z height, meaning better internal thermals and easier packaging?

In 1 years time maybe all ryzens will have gpu and 3d vcache running at higher speeds than the 5800x3d,and it'll all make sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Afair GN mentioned believable back channel chat that said 3d VCache 7x Ryzens will be ready for the next CES, so Jan 2023. Whether that's an announcement or actual release though....

Personally I think I'll wait until then. The new mbd price, DDR5, new much higher rated ATX 3 PSU, let alone what we'll see for PCI5 SSDs (and if there are enough directstorage titles to make that mean something) combines to make early adoption from a 5x this year a not so appealing proposition imho. Not because the new CPUs are bad but there is better on the near horizon and the benefit, hopefully, of reduced prices for the associated new tech. If you're jumping from 3x or earlier though it's a good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Between two minds whether to build a new PC next year or not. Might hold off until 2nd generation AM5. Currently have a 5600X so it's not really gonna hold back a new GPU at 4k or even 1440p.

Given the 7600X out paces a 5800X3D in most cases, the 7800X3D should be a massive leap forward.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

I thought the 7600x was a bad buy from the reviews I've seen - especially with the overall costs of upgrading. The 5800X3D looks like it performs very well against the AM5 chips for gaming alone. I would go that way in the short term.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Once the B650 boards are released on the 10th of this month the cost of the upgrade will be less. The X670/E boards are a rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

5800x3d for €366,57 and €12 postage to Ireland (359 on mindfactory)

Very tempted but will wait for black Friday and see does it go cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭romperstomper

Is there any more AM4 APUs or is that line completed now?

I would have said no, but based on the performance of raptor Lake and the costs of the Am5 platform, I think AMD are going to have to look at something to fill in the under 300 price point...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

5800x3d has been popping in and out of stock at Amazon.de for €377.67 delivered

Estimated delivery November 14th so a little time to cancel if it goes cheaper. Gonna try it in my Asrock b450m HDV r4.0 and see what happens 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Yeah I have the 5800X3D picked out as an upgrade also. Seen some benchmarks in games I play and its just a huge upgrade (games are CPU intensive)

Seems better money spent for me at the moment to upgrade my 3600 CPU than my 5700 GPU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭romperstomper

Any cheapo a320/a520 boards?

Advertisement