Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Is there talk of an eviction ban for the winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

I don't think we get anything.

The funny thing is the 30% rate was recommended not to be implemented as it only gave something to a certain percentage of workers while leaving others out.

• If I work half a week I make more than most on welfare.

im barely managing despite that, so I can’t fathom how hard they’re having it. It’s funny how much people say the welfare life is so easy yet continue to go to work.

i promise you it’s not because you’re not “lazy” or similar, it’s because you know being on fcuk all money is not the dream you make it out to be.

cant even say I’m surprised to see that sort of craic, I’m surprised it took a few posts to get there, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,363 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

You’re one of many who wouldn’t try find all the goodies and extras you can earn if you’re clever.

In this country it gets you nowhere being honest.

If you don’t believe me just start looking at the top…..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

So the usual not just welfare. If it was just walfre everyone would be doing it. No it's cash in hand clim dole go out on the rob or whatever. Well and the 12 kids watching JK all day drinking cans outside the bookies. While having sky tv and going on holidays 3 times a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Supports for the less well off don't generally bother me and tbh I hate how much time and energy is spent arguing over it.

One thing I am concerned about though is how the GP card expansion will affect access to GPs overall. I don't have a medical card and already cannot get registered with a GP full stop as it is, at all. They all seem to have disappeared into bunkers during Covid. It's already something I worry about, and I don't see how this is remotely feasible to implement in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,414 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The budget is like a Bertie giveaway budget by the sounds of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Time to seriously consider signing on and working a few shifts on the side.

Low and Middle earners getting sweet FA again.

No wonder Hospitality and construction to name a few cannot get workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Usual FF budget, free stuff for freeloaders, **** all for people who work

At some point the taxpayer might figure out that they're being rode to give political parties a goodie bag for buying votes rather than to pay for services

You get the government you deserve and we get gobshites because thats what we are

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Roll on the next election...

• Advertisement

It must be one of the biggest giveaway budgets of all time. Most people should get something I'd hope.

Childcare reduction will be the biggest deal for a lot of people I'd imagine. It's long overdue.

Widening the tax bands is also long overdue.

Electricity credits, and college fee reductions also massive savings. Free school books too for national school.

Where are they getting all the money? Kicking the debt down the road probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

child care will be eaten by energy prices or that's the excuse that will come up.

Making the tax larger base will probably lead to a contraction in consumer spending.

Where are they getting the money from ? the magic money tree they say does not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭The DayDream

I just lost my job and was on practically minimum wage and had to apply for the dole. If you think an extra 12 euro a week has me thinking I'm on the gravy train instead of being seriously worried about how I'll pay for heat and my electric bill (last one was 70% higher) then you are seriously deluded.

I'll never understand people giving out about people on the dole. It's literally impossible to live off (I won't qualify for rent or fuel allowance btw)

I was on less than 500 a week in my job and it would never occur to me to begrudge those on the social (maybe because I've been on it before). Then there's people on here with good waged jobs giving out about it during insane inflation on things like heat and electricity. It's actually disgusting, and I'm glad I only have to read it on the internet and not interact with such black holes masquerading as people in real life.

Cop on to yourselves and be grateful for what you have. Not a peep out of you when the TDs gave themselves a pay rise during the pandemic and it was a lot more than 12 euro a week. They got a 4 figure lump sum, too. For doing a horrible job, failing on so many fronts.

The one thing about being unemployed now is there are plenty of jobs out there. Good luck, hope you're not too long out of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

Free childcare and free primary school books for those with young children. Slashing third level fees for those in University.

A firm "F*ck you pay me" to those with children secondary school even though our costs are multiples of what primary school costs are.

As a middle earner with kids in secondary school yet again I 'm getting nothing in this so called give away budget. A small decrease in PAYE that will be gone in the first electricity bill. Meanwhile it's free books, uni fees, childcare, fuel allowance, GP visits, pensions etc etc etc for everyone else. I should vote for another party but who? Sinn Fein PBP will just take even more off me and give it to their welfare class core voters. I'll be lucky if those Trotskyist bastards don't take my house off me and give it to some welfare gouger who never worked a day in their life but joined PBP as a protest enforcer for something to do on a Saturday afternoon a few years ago.

We need a new party who represents the hard working middle.

People in mid 20ks to 37000 got nothing.

You got a tax cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

I agree I am not anti welfare, but regardless of wage (and where possible), workers should always see a larger increase then welfare. Especially at the lower end.

We need to makes the gap between workers and those choosing not to work long term bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

People/humans need a purpose in life hence why they go to work. Living on welfare is "easy" and its a lifestyle for many in this country..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The corporation tax budget.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

A good start but this is just to buy votes for the next election Sinn Fein will look after poeople properly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Extra 12 euro on the dole means an extra box of fags a week or 2 pints. So it's good for the local pubs and local shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭CarProblem

This isn't a new thing under various FG government since just before the 2016 General Election. Has become par for the course for the dole to increase more than a worker on the median wage gets in a tax cut. But something something SF, something something god help us if the mythical left gets into power

In terms of tax reduction and money in the pocket:

High earners got a cut

Medium earners got a cut

Low earners <36k got nothing

Dole collectors got a rise

What am I missing?

The most Populist budget in the history of the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Why is the entire budget leaked before the actual announcement these days? We know every single aspect of it already.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

Sinn Fein will look after the lower paid and welfare. Same as this budget. If you are in the middle they will have to squeeze what little FF/FG have left you to fund the promises they have made to their core vote.

Assuming Sinn Fein PBP win an election sometime in 2024 and spend 5 years failing to fulfill their impossible promises then in the 2029 election we'll be going the way of Italy this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Its not that long ago restaurants/ bars/ hotels where screaming out for staff, there was no reason for a majority of them to be on the dole. We all know of a family that are professional dolers, the parents are on the dole and the kids are on the dole and will never come off it, why should they? Medical is covered, rent is covered, back to school, Fuel allowance, Christmas bonus..... I was in many a full time job, that didn't give its staff a Christmas bonus!! Now don't get me wrong, I was unemployed for a number of months and was grateful of the system, but it was never my intention to stay on it, and my children are reared to believe you must work for it. I don't have either a medical or GP card, pay my GP €50 a pop and still cant get an appointment, lord only knows how bad it will be with free cards for nearly all!!

Edit: I'm a big believer in an increase & double payment for Pensioners/Carers/ Single Parents but people who just cant be arsed gets under my skin.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

There's **** all in it really, I'll be up about €10 a week, it wouldn't cover the shopping increases. Don't think your been doing any favors with the energy credits, you are still be ridden on the price and are still overall poorer than last year.

The media are **** leeches "€1100 bonanza for pensioners", its not a bonanza its not even the bare minimum to cover the increase in costs.

The leakiest budget and government in the history of the state.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Waiting to see if there will be any increase or relief on home heating oil before I put the order in today or tomorrow. I suspect it will not change

Advertisement