Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭DataDude

Pensioners as a whole are by far the wealthiest cohort of Irish Society. They are, by some distance, the least likely cohort to be feeling any financial hardship. Not sure they are the best place to be targeting blanket supports.

A lot of people still view pensioners a financially vulnerable group, which they were in the past. They are anything but these days. Stats below highlight the staggering extent of the generational wealth gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That's not true though when it comes to energy, they will outspend younger people on heating there homes this winter. Any elderly people I know have the heating going all the time in the winter and the fire going throughout the day. They will be hit fairly hard this winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Honestly a price cap on energy bills would have helped more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It's more than that, it's €12 per person. Meaning the pubs/shops you reference will employ more people (or have more hours to dish out) resulting in more shop/pub workers having more money in their paypacket, and the process continues right up to the bank that might employ one more person which then increases income tax and USC generation

Some economists believe that every €1 you give to the worse off in our society contributes €2 to the economy, most believe it's closer to €1.50 though everybody agrees it's more than what you put in

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I hate this attitude, usually posted by people who have never experienced difficult times.

Of course there's a small element of abuse in any social protection system but the majority of people who are claiming payments are in genuine need of it.

It's not just for unemployed people but disabled, long term illness and other vulnerable groups that need support.

I'd rather live in a society like ours that redistributes wealth through taxation and social welfare that the total inequality you see in the UK and even worse in the USA.

Be grateful if you can support yourself and not reliant on the state but don't begrudge extras for people who really need it.

• Advertisement

As long as it was targeted at the unit price or standing charge price and not the bill as a whole. Yes

Every budget has been leaked for decades and always will be. It's civil servants who do the leaking not the ministers.

I think it's a good thing as ministers can gauge reactions and analysis and change plans for the better if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,581 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I'm not sure I see the comparison with the UK given that we have almost the same welfare model as them. And they have the NHS. It was the UK that introduced the old age pension here. So not sure what notions you have about the UK.

I referred to people on the dole..not those on disability or carers allowance. A lot of these people will use the extra 12 euro for an extra couple of pints. I didn't make any judgement on it. You seem to think this is a bad thing? Very judgemental of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Wldr where I live all I can see is people who are well able to get up and go to work, being given free houses, complete with solar panels, heat pumps etc. One of them has a new Passat, a camper van and a horse box parked outside. And not a job between the two people living there. You'll have to forgive those of us who actually get up in the morning to contribute to society, feeling a little bit pissed off at budget time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭DataDude

They may be hit harder by energy, but that’s starting from a far more comfortable starting point financially than any other group. Plenty of publications and research to that effect. ESRI etc.

Renters for example have been seeing €1,000 annual increases as a matter of course over the last decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

No this is not the case. Phil Hogan resigned as a minister in the 90s due to a small leak in the budget.

Leaking only started relatively recently (in the last 15 years) and has got worse with this government.

I think the point being made, although very crudely, is that generally speaking those on lower incomes spend more while those on higher incomes save more. Which is a valid point I think

• Registered Users Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yep totally agree. This government is constantly leaking and flying kites trying to gauge reaction in advance. It's not professional.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

They can borrow at rates significantly below the rate of inflation, but the lender is getting a real beating on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Our kids and grand kids will be paying for this. Leo and his "we will help those who get up in the morning" mantra has capitulated. Voted FG time and again wont be doing so next time. They rewarded those on the dole and lets not forget the Public sector pay rises which took over 1/3rd of the cash that was on the table. This all has to be paid for, this Xmas is going to see an absolute clusterphuck for SMEs they are getting some cash but no where near enough to get through and we cant afford another freebie for them like we spent during covid. This time next year our finances will be a deficit again as Dole (which is now competing with low paying jobs) , Low paying jobs with things like grants, extra welfare payments and HAP ,etc) is now competing with mid income earners and those earning at the top will find ways to and means to run or hide their cash. If a few of the large MNCs buckle (and it could well happen) Ireland is goosed our idiotic overloads in power didnt learn after the 08 crash of the stupid decision to base spending on a tax that could well disappear in 08 it was stamp duty in 2022 its corpo tax. I can see a perfect storm in the next 24 months of emigration reversing as our younger population decide I might actually get a house in Canada/OZ or the US as prices are coming down. Our SMEs hitting the wall at the same pace seen in 08 and our unemployment going through the roof, our income tax take going down due to workers heading to the dole queue, Throw in the amount it will cost to borrow for new borrowings I cant see that being a realistic option with the Interest rates which we may see over 5% by this time next year. Then of course we will have the Shinners getting in power and our MNCs running for cover with the schtick that Mary Lou is spinning about taxing wealth sure she would be seen as a charlatan if she didn't go after corpo tax as these are very wealthy behemoths and if she goes after the worker again I can's see them lasting long. We had a commission coming out and doing a review of taxation and what other taxes should be implemented , why the phuck is there not the same for our spend. We spent over 93Billion last year, where the hell is this money going? HSE anyone, children's hospital anyone?

Get the nice bits in to the earhole of the public before the pages of analysis etc

Hear these anecdotes all the time and usually not true and exagerrated. Can you give me the address of these free houses so I can view the solar panels and heat pumps on google maps?

The dole Money goes straight back in to the local economy, exactly.

Whether one agrees with it or not it comes back to the Government within a Very short time

Thats all well and good but the money has to be found and its usually the worker who is bent over and has his pockets robbed to give this dole money its allowing others stand on the neck of workers in order to get this cash so they will be fine. Why would you bother working if your on a low paying job, its nearly the case now of if you cant beat them join them, remember before the budget we paid out 30Billion in social welfare for a small country like this that is an insane figure to try and repeat on an annual basis.

• Advertisement

The comparison with the UK is valid when you look at how last week they cut taxes for the rich only and nothing for the main population which is is simply not the case here.

Also the social protection here is much better here than the UK and we do not use the same model as them. People go on about the NHS which is in a total mess.

The point is your post did not mention any specific group and therefore portrayed all social protection receivers as using the money for pints when in reality the group that will just it for that is very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

a lot of that wealth would be in the value of property, so unless they burn their house for heating, its kinna meaningless!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Why not just give everyone a universal payment so. Why should people who get an education or a trade lose out. Sure it will all go back into the local economy .

200 euro a week from the government on top of people's wages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭opinionated3

You'll have to take my word for it. Why would I make up something like that? All people like me are asking for is fairness, maybe a cut in excise on fuel so it's easier to heat our homes and put fuel in our cars to get to work. But I suppose the green agenda won't allow for that. So yet again it's the worker gets screwed over. If you can't see that, then I can't help you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Will be the same crap as always for middle income workers, here's 500euro but with all the increases its wiped out and you're down 500euro.

Same old nonsense.

The majority on here would confirm what your saying, they will know someone gaining off the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

a ubi makes sense in many ways, but we probably wont ever do it, we generally just do some small scale trials such as the current artist only trials, and thats about it, the resistance towards such a radical idea is currently too great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

That contradicts Lizz Truss plan of Tax brakes for the Rich meaning they will spend more allowing for trickle down economics that will benefit the general less well off population. The Tories could hardly be that wrong or naive :), rich people that are getting tax breaks now in the UK will actively be dumping the Pound as its crashing and stashing their money else where probably Inflation linked US treasury's and hence absolutely no benefit to the UK what so ever.

Its actually frightening who bad and weak the Leadership around the place is at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Son Of Caba

There will be nothing for the working class families as per usual.

Advertisement