Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I disagree, not surprising. But our achilles heal under SK has been breaking down weaker teams who are happy to counter attack for the most part.

Armenia will do that tonight. If we struggle to break them down effectively then I think it's safe to say we're not making progress in this area and that's on SK.

So failure to do that tonight and I'm happy to see SK sacked. I just pray to god we bring in another committed Irishman looking to play a positive style of football and back his players to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,173 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Our Achilles heal for my whole life has been our ability to break down weaker teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

We haven’t played the Armenia at home game yet. At least wait till after the match before jumping to conclusions.

It is the case from certain quarters. Was it you that was putting up Steven Gerrard as an alternative? Amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

And the funny thing about it is he's not against making early subs because he's made half time subs multiple times and has made subs pre 60th minute mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

I actually don't want Hughton to replace Kenny either but my point was more in defence of Hughton's to show the insanity of some on here suggesting Hughton isn't fit to replace Kenny I mean Kenny has achieved nothing in management that could be compared to Hughton. Hughton was sacked from Brighton and Forest Kenny was sacked from Rovers and Dunfermline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

How can you possibly equate Qualification groups with Nations League groups? They’re literally the exact opposite thing. Qualification groups have one team from each level, very top to very bottom. Nations League groups have all teams from one level.

Qualification group bottom seeds are more equivalent to League D nations league teams - all of the teams we’re facing are in or around League B standard. That’s the whole point of it (and is exactly why we’re seeing all the big dogs like Spain, Germany, England etc suffering results they never face in qualification groups).

We should still be expected to beat Armenia, but there’s no need to be totally disingenuous about it all.

Hughton isn’t fit to replace Kenny. If Kenny was sacked in the morning, and Hughton was hired, I don’t think anyone would be feeling good about that.

His achievements came with a form of football that is now demonstrably irrelevant. He achieved when circumstances were such that he could achieve with his style. Someone average with a style that is more presently effective is better than someone great with a style that is now wholly ineffective.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

I think there would be plenty who would feel good about Hughton replacing Kenny as for the rest we'll have to agree to disagree.

Here's hoping for 3 points and good performance tonight to take us into a qualifying campaign with confidence. Hopefully we give qualifying a good bash as despite what some say on here that is the overall point of international football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Excluding the game where Armenia beat us, they have conceded 23 goals in their last 5 games. If we lose at home to them tonight and get relegated to group C, very legitimate questions need to be asked about whether Kenny should continue. I don't think we will lose, but I didn't think Luxembourg would have beaten us either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Please stop.

The horse has been beaten to a fine paste at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I was answering the poster who put the challenge "Name me an Irish manager where we were ever full sure of a win against anyone ?"

We were full sure of winning against many teams many times in the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,702 ✭✭✭Gusser09

When was the last time Kenny managed in the PL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Think it's important we put 4 or 5 past them tonight just to build momentum ahead of the euros

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Ah listen if we had the money you could put forward Klopp or Pep and the same LOI, OTB Kenny fanboys would have a whinge about it. They'd want Vinne Perth or Tim Clancy as the manager.

The genie is out of the bottle. When it comes to the selection of a new manager those lads will whinge about the LOI being overlooked. Typical chip on the shoulder victim hood mentality always wanting someone else to improve their clubs and the league without being capable of doing anything themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

The fetishizing of Stephen Kenny by the Off The Ball crew is really weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Christ, and you're whining about chips on shoulders. Quite the irony. You're obsessed with "fanboys".

• Advertisement

He's become a parody at this point.

Getting so wound up about what others are up to as well. Imagine doing a hate-listen of OTB to get so wound up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The U21s game is being shown live at the stadium before the senior game for anyone going tonight and wants to watch it. Otherwise it's being shown on the RTE player or LOI TV for those that want to watch at home.

Yep

Put 4 or 5 past them to build momentum like the momentum they built when they put 3 or 4 past Andorra, or Qatar or Azerbaijan, or Luxembourg.

Cheers for that update. Was gonna watch it in the pub before heading into the stadium. May just cut out the middleman now.

Great retort.

But seriously this has been my problem with Kenny.

There is zero sense that any momentum is being built.

They just seem to be spinning their wheels.

So much so that people who support Kenny are already getting their excuses in in case they don't beat Armenia.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭trashcan

Yeah, except nobody who supports SK actually says those things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Has anyone on here made excuses before this game. I haven't seen any. If anything all I've seen are numerous posters, who while largely supportive of the manager, saying that if we don't when then the pressure is deserved/questions should be asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭jacool

Anyone expecting us to hammer Armenia tonight can go fill their boots in the bookies.

While Ireland are 2/7 to win the game its is almost even money on their being either less than 2.5 goals or more than 2.5 goals.

Favourite scorelines are 1-0 and 2-0 both @9/2 and its goes out to 13/2 for a 3-0 victory.

Ireland -1 is 1/1 and Ireland -2 is 5/2.

When the Ukraine beat Armenia 5-0, it was only 1-0 at half time.

When Scotland beat them 4-1, Armenia were first out of the blocks after 7 minutes, but were 2-1 down at halftime.

Ukraine were 0-0 at halftime when the won 3-0 at home , whereas Scotland had grabbed both of their goals in the 2-0 win before halftime.

I think Ireland need to go for the jugular early and just keep the pressure on. Like someone said here, when players get leggy just sub them off.

I can only see a home win, but I'd like to see a comfortable one.

Just fully disagree with this… it hasn’t been continuous progress, it’s been 2 steps forward and one back, but we look to have a far sounder base now than in 2017/2018/2019. The player pool has been completely revamped, for the better, and the style is more balanced and adaptable.

You can see exactly what we’re doing in each game, and exactly what aspects need to improve for us to take the next step (basically just finishing - the chance creation is head and shoulders above where we were in the cycle before).

Maybe so but that's the sentiment that is coming across the last while now.

I for one hope Kenny gets a performance and comfortable win tonight. It's needed. We need to quell the talk of him getting the sack or not being up to the job before the next campaign and only a convincing win tonight will do that.

Let's not cod ourselves that the likes of Hughton , Gerrrard or even Aalrdyce would be any worse or haven't achieved anything in the game. That's just pure ignorance.

To be clear I'm certainly not advocating for Alardyce here. However he has achieved a significant amount more than SK at a higher level as has Hughton and Gerrard. Dyche is out of our reach financially. Michael O'Neill might be a good candidate and has been through the learning curve already with the North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭athlone99

And when it our history have we beaten the weakest international teams or 4 or 5 never mind teams of a similarish level? If thats a genuine post its utter nonsense. Id take a 1-0 win with a good dominant performance where we create chances. Ideally maybe win by 2 but saying we should hammer a team that beat us in the summer in nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,141 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just looking at their last few games, the Scots put 4 past them, Ukraine scored 5, Norway scored 9,the Germans hit 4 and North Macedonia scored 5.

If we cannot put a few goals past these then we're in bigger trouble than we think.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

It's typical of those with poor debating skills. They make up that those they are arguing said something they actually didn't and then argue on that false premise. That poster you quoted is particularly bad.

So even if they do put 4 or 5 past Armenia you'll still be whining.

Michael O'Neill actually had a worse record as manager of The North than Kenny has had in the first years of his tenure.

Then you say Dyche would be out of our reach financially but Allardyce or Gerrard aren't? You're not making much sense here.

Doesn't seem particularly useful or wise to set your expectations based on what other teams do, rather than what we do. We've never been that team that smashes other teams. We just haven't. A comfortable 2 goal win where we're nicely in control, have plenty of the ball and create plenty of decent situations would be entirely satisfactory. Particularly when you see that our chance creation is not the problem, but rather simply our finishing.

Talking about sticking 5 past someone - something that's never been a trait of Irish teams even at our very best - is just setting up expectations you can come back and whinge about later.

No, I'll be resigned to the reality that Kenny will get a Euro campaign, but I'll have no confidence in Ireland qualifing for that Euro irregardless of the upcoming draw.

Michael O'Neill actually had a worse record as manager of The North than Kenny has had in the first years of his tenure.

Why do people keep bringing this up.

It proves nothing.

Just because Michael O'Neill had a worse start than Kenny and turned it around in NI doesn't mean that Kenny will turn it around here.

Of course it doesn't prove that things WILL get where you want them to, but it does prove things CAN get where you want them to. When Michael O'Neill is one of those spoken about as an improvement, it makes sense to point out that if he did with us what he did with the North, he'd have been hounded out of a job by the same people calling for him, ever before things went right.

Of all the options brought up in this thread, O'Neill is so far the only actual reasonable one. Everyone else mentioned is so entirely unattainable as to be pointless to bring them up (well, except Hughton, who is effectively ruled out as the day before yesterday's man)

• Advertisement

So how long do you leave Kenny in place to get it right?

If he has a disastrous first few games in a Euro campaign do you keep him for the rest ?

What's the threshold for the Kenny fanboys or is there even one?

Because he’s being put forward as a better alternative to Stephen Kenny, that’s why people keep bringing it up. Did that really have to be spelt out to you

I've also seen him brought up on this thread as a reason to keep Kenny.

Because he managed to turn it around.

Fck this 'fanboy' bollocks anyway. Not everyone that has a sense of realism is a 'fanboy'. I hate this increasing buzzword nonsense.

For Kenny, it entirely depends on what we can afford. if we had tonnes of money, I'd have kicked him out a year ago and brought in some managerial genius. But we don't. And we won't. We have a pittance. If things go horrible wrong in the first few games, and qualification is all but done early on, I'd sack him and try someone else with a similarly forward thinking mindset, but better. That is, if we could find them, convince them, and afford them. It's likely we can't. I couldn't give you a name of such a talented, and yet affordable option myself anyway.

Everything so far has been to lay the groundwork for this upcoming Euro's campaign. We brought in the former U21 coach at a time we were in dire need of transition towards youth, and his experience with them and willingness to bed them in has given us a much stronger base. Of course that's also led to teething problems - that's why transition periods are named as such. This transition period is now at an end, and we're coming into the time when we would hope this bedding in process we've gone through will give these younger (but much better) players the confidence, understanding of each others games, and tactical understanding to produce. I don't particularly believe there was a better guy out there to bring these players through, given his pre-existing relationships with them. Hopefully he's also the guy to bring them on to the next step - maybe he is, maybe he isn't. But having done the horrible thankless part of it, imo he deserves the chance to try. We'll see over the coming months how it pans out. If we can't compete, we'll just have to go lifting rocks here and there hoping for some other cheap option to come wow us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't boo the Irish side.

There is a difference in not wanting the team to succeed and recognising that under Kenny they are not succeeding.

And how do you know Kenny won't if you sack him "irregardless" if he wins by 4 or 5 tonight.

We also don't even necessarily need vast improvement - we just need stability. We've produced some very good performances, we just need those performances to become the norm instead of being so mercurial with great days and flat days. Again though, it's something that's to be expected with younger players - time will be the biggest factor in that regard. I like the more consistent aggression we're starting to display at least, that'll go a long way to balancing things up.

I'm merely using them as examples lad. Yeh I know all about Michael O'Neills record. The point being he proved in the end he could do the job and achieve qualification. He is a tested ticket. He will be in a position to hit the ground running. Someone like Gerard may look at it as a stepping stone to the English job if he can be successful so finances might not be much of a barrier.

The other option is if we fail to qualify for the Euros is to stick with Kenny.

100% agree re Michael O'Neill. After that we are probably into looking at Championship managers and it starts to get very underwhelming and worrying.

If we don't qualify for the Euros we are probably going to need a manager to come in a steady things. Someone to get the team producing results based on whatever system works best. At that stage we'll have had 3 cycles where this just hasn't worked. That's all if's of course.

This of course is all down to the way football has been run and the non existence of any sort of governance. We just can't afford anyone who you would hang your hat on. That certainly doesn't mean it would be right to leave Kenny in there.

It's worth pointing out that compared to club football it's not as intensive. Any manager taking the job would base themselves in the UK. that might be a selling point for some lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

From the sound of it the Armenia camp seem to be all over the shop. The manager's contract is not being renewed. The media in Armenia have turned on him. The only decent result he seemed to get was against Ireland.

So if Ireland start well, theoretically Armenia should crumble and give up without much of a fight.

In the last game Armenia were hammered 5-0 by a Ukraine B team, basically. So the players morale must be rock bottom.

If I was predicting a result I would say a nervy 2-0 for Ireland, as they struggle to break down Armenia who just want to keep the score down. So the counter attack stuff is less likely to work, and onus will be on Ireland to go on the front foot.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement