Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

100% agree, comparison sites like bonkers should be able to connect to an API provided by ESBN and (with user permission) download the usage profile for the past 12 months and provide an accurate comparison

Since as we've seen you can also guess which appliances, you could also use this to give recommendations to customers. For example if the comparison sees the dryer being run during the day a lot then it could say to the user they'd save X euros by running at night instead

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

I can see your point. But I feel that’s too complex for most people who want to spent 15mins to save a few hundred quid. And for most people, that’s the level of effort they want. And I was happily that solider before. So I’m not knocking people for it.

I think it’s a very small % that would use the level of functionality, or firstly have the level of interest to get to the Nth degree on it. People here would of course :)

To pull data, Bonkers would need their login for the ESBN smart meter. People would even know they have a smart meter (some people won’t even know maybe), somehow agree to that smart meter data being shared with a 3rd party. Would be a lag to pull the data. Lag for Bonkers to review and assess and recommend the options…. Which means people would leave the Bonkers site and not save their money. APIs (or any tech change) take money to setup and people to support.

Simpler would be better for most. If people are on a smart meter, Bonkers could tell them how to read the day and night usage. Drop that into a formula on their site so would see the average use per night since the meter went in.

I do the same ‘quick and dirty’ approach with my other recurring bills (outside electricity). I do a quick check of our usage, google search if there is a comparison site, call the existing company, tell them I want to leave, and they magically find a better tariff / sweetener. Granted electricity is a larger spend of course these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭curioustony

@DC999 I completely agree that user experience is key to this.

That requires a well thought out flow and a lot of automation. I don't think you can remove the complexity completely and still get an accurate result.

My first pass was a spreadsheet. My second pass was a bunch of python scripts with manually edited json files. My third pass is on GitHub.

None of these are usable without a lot of patience and knowledge. With those the last one is.

Winter is coming. If I don't get a new obsession, my fourth pass will be an Android app. Never done one of those, might be fun.

I look forward to seeing what the CRU, ESBN and the comparison sites come up with.

Thing is, we (electricity consumers) needed it yesterday.

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

I got the email from Energia users have mentioned above regarding 18c/kWh payment for electricity exported back to the grid today.

It didn't say anything about the quantity of units I would be paid for. I have a day/night meter not a smart meter so am I correct in thinking that that puts me into the "deemed export quantity" category?

I had a quick look at the paper here https://www.cru.ie/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/CRU21131-Interim-Clean-Export-Guarantee-Decision-Paper.pdf on the details of units I would be paid for under deemed export. Am I correct in thinking that this would be the math for my 11kWh (3-phase) system:

MEC (kW): 11

CF: Capacity factor: 9.7% (set by the regulator)

EF: Export factor: 35% (set by the regulator)

PI: Provision interval (hours per year) 8760 = 24x365

Deemed export units: MEC x CF x EF x PI = 3271.42

Price: €0.18 (set by Energia)

Total payment per year: 3271.42x0.18=€589 ?

Then tax exemption is on first €200 so €389 of it is taxable right?

Are you on 3 phase? You won't be getting paid for 11kW if you're on single phase, the max allowed export is 6kW

Above that you'd need to send in an NC7 form to apply to be a mini generator, at which point the get the CEP of 13.5c/kWh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Caspero

Yes I'm on 3 phase, I upgraded my supply in order to both get an 11kWh EV charger and to be allowed to install the 11 kWp solar system. As you mentioned the fact that I'm 3-phase keeps me in the microgeneration scheme. My NC6 form has already been sent in and processed.

Ah right, yes you'll be on the microgenerator rate then

I'm still confused about the taxation situation, whether you pay tax on the excess over €200 or the whole amout when you go over the threshold

I've an open query with revenue on this and I'm hoping that there might be some mention of this in the budget today

• Registered Users Posts: 65,316 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

You don't have to pay tax on the whole amount when you go over the threshold, that's not how income tax works. You pay your marginal rate of income tax on the amount above the threshold. You will need to self-declare this income.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

And it's Ireland, so we all know what self declare means.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Coltrane

Has anyone actually received payment of/credit for their FIT?

I was expecting to receive a credit yesterday, for the period since February 2022. It was to be based on deemed export because we've no smart meter. That was the deal made with my supplier when I signed on with them in early August 2022. I talked it through with the agent in detail at that time and the call was recorded. ESBN have confirmed NC6 has been in place since before Feb 2022.

Yesterday the bill arrived with no credit.

Today I rang my supplier and they said that the tariff:

1. Would not be paid (by them) for the period before I signed up with them, that I should talk to my previous supplier about that, and
    2. Would not be paid for the period after I signed up with them because I was "eligible" for a smart meter (situation in my area of Dublin is that no-one has or has been offered smart meters, I a year or so ago asked ESBN to be a smart-meter early adopter but have heard nothing back).

I hope that not all of the suppliers are behaving in this way. It would signal once again that these things are not to be taken seriously in Ireland, and would need a concerted challenge.

I told my supplier that I won't be paying my bill until this is resolved to my satisfaction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

The bare minimum the suppliers can do without much effort and hassle of GDPR etc is once a year or every quarter is your energy supplier should have on your bill

"Based on your load profile and consumption we recommend that you move to our Day/Night tariff or smart meter tariff X and this is estimated to save you Euros/year...."

Now I understand if you only have a 24hr meter they probably cant do that but they could build a tool where the customer reads the meter and estimates how much they use at night. This is where the smart meters come in handy, is that every supplier will have the exact load profile and should be made to recommend the cheapest tariff for the customer even if it is standard day/night or 24hr.

Bonkers or switcher.ie could develop simply a tool to upload a load profile in a standard format and then analyze and compare suppliers...

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭simpsimp

I'll keep the supplier's name offline for now in case it turns into a row. It's one of the majors.

Has anyone on here actually received their credit? If there are many others in my situation, I'd love to know and give it the publicity it deserves.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

So far I think just pinenergy have paid so far.

Energia has said that it will be in the autumn and I think another said it would be later... I can't remember who that was (maybe sse? But not sure)

Did you sign up in Aug or just renew?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I think item 1 is reasonable. You weren't a customer of theirs so you cant expect them to pay you for export prior to signing up with them. That's something you need to chase your old provider for.

I think item 2 is unreasonable though. Its not your fault that you dont have a smart meter. You should get deemed export in that case (assuming you haven't refused a smart meter). You are right to dig your heels in on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭DC999

100% agree. For sure, they should give a recommendation of a better plan at least once a year - certainly ahead of the renewal / contract ending. But we all know they want you to be out of contract on the higher rate. Or they would auto-roll the contract you had, and not move to a standard (dearer) tariff. Same for your mortgage, any large recurring bill..with other providers. Difference here is of course between what they are forced & regulated to do, and willing to do (even if that means a lower margin).

I move every year on Bonkers (unless existing provider is the best after that search) so every supplier has a massive churn of customers the way it is now. And losing + adding new people has a cost to them of course. Anyways, we'll all in agreement on a better path :)

Also Re Energia, The email came in for the meter reading, and normally the bill comes a day or 2 later.

It's been nearly a week now, I wonder what the delay is 🤔.. Fit?

I switched to this provider in August 2022. The sales agent said they would backpay the FIT to February 2022. I asked him why they would do such a thing and he replied that was an offer they were running at the time.

That's not the way it works. Your previous provider is legally obliged to back pay you FIT from February 2022 until the day you switched. Your new provider is legally obliged to pay you FIT from the day you switched only.

I guess this is a case of yet another staff member of a utility company being misinformed. I never trust anything any of them ever say anyway, only what's in writing on their website / in emails (that is proof too)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭yankinlk

to be fair i think the human you get on the phone is a bit hit and miss for ANY service provider in any industry these days. That promise doesnt make a lot of sense tbh. Im guessing wether its recorded or not you would never win that argument.

However I would love you to name or at least PM me the name of that supplier please. I am chasing one of the majors for my NC6 acceptance over a month now with zero response. I am expecting that my supplier which is EI are going to do their best to duck out on any payment whatsoever.

• Advertisement

Nope, if the new provider promises something to make the sale, he must deliver.

Done (PMd you the name).

Please let us know how you get on with EI. To me, there's something particularly unfair about trying to avoid these payments in the current "environment." If that's going on on a widespread basis, the regulator and media need to know.

You might as well put the application into the small claims court now.

Your new supplier is under no obligation to back pay you a FIT when you were with your previous suppliers.

Also other than pinenergy nobody else has got paid. Yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Left EI for Energia at end of August, sent 5 emails regarding FIT due to me, not a word out of them but they were quick to charge me 50e for breaking contract.

I'll keep my ear to the ground here and elsewhere and, if there is widespread gouging here, will try to raise it in the right places.

Have you got that in writing? If not, forget about it. Just an incompetent staff member telling you porkies and probably not even knowing it.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Alkers

Anyone guess how to get backdated fit from ibderola??

Did they even announce a fit rate? If not it's 0c

• Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'd say that's a good guess. They are gone from the market since ~ June and they will have no incentive/need/requirement to pay FiT at this stage.

• Advertisement

Ah to be fair malice and incompetence aren't necessarily mutually exclusive.

It's rare that you have a totally unmotivated and disinterested employee who happens to be great at their job, it's often the case that it leaks through into their performance

Not saying this is definitely the cause here, but let's be honest, working in a call center is a pretty awful job. I know two people who've worked those types of jobs and they had nothing good to say about them

I think you're right to not expect much out of anyone working there. To the majority of people working there, I imagine the job is a daily grind with the paycheck being the only redeeming feature

Advertisement