Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

"In his Budget speech, Minister Donohoe said, "There are so many people who work hard, but whose earnings push them outside of access to social welfare benefits. We need to help them too, we need to put money back into their pockets."

We should help them too 🙄

How are they not the first focus of every budget since that cohort pays for everything in the bleedin' country.

The Average industrial wage is €45,760...why is the average wage anywhere near the 40% Highest tax bracket. Bloody Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I can, here you go. They definitely have solar.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/qbuAQqops5mnrfD78

• Registered Users Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If the money is spent on PT and not on subsidised e-cars it solves both problems.

State grants for people to switch to EVs and put further strain on our struggling grid is stupidity. The money is better spent elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 9,099 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Because our environment is so precious we will be paying an extra 2c on our petrol/diesel carbon taxes from next month but there will be a 2c reduction on the NORA levy

Meaning we are saving the environment and paying nothing to do it... Yippee!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Council houses down the road from me got a full setup recently, I mentioned it on here a while back, Houses got fully wrapped in outer insulation, new windows & doors and solar panel systems. 50 - 60 K worth of upgrades for free. Pretty sweet deal.

All older houses. They look brand new now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭andy125

Doesn't have to be a tax payment, could easily increase the electricity payments for low income earners and lower it for people that can easily afford their bills and lavish lifestyles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

and same with you when I seen yours always attacking the post and not the actual math behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,893 ✭✭✭✭zell12

They increased the income limits. From the start of January, the qualifying income threshold for the fuel allowance will increase from €120 to €200 above the relevant rate of the State pension contributory (currently €253.30)

I can see the reasoning. The EV prices just increase to match whatever grant is given.

As long as there is a backlog there is no need for the grant. When supply again outstrips demand, re-implement incentives to buy

I think Dublin Live put the summary of today's budget the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Low payed worker and got SFA other than the minimum wage increase from this budget while social welfare gets an increase and stuff like a one off double payment with the usual Xmas Bonus

Everybody already contributes something the minute the buy anything basically in a shop.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It doesn't have to be everywhere as yes there are areas of need. The people doing 1km runs to school and driving to work that's no more than a 15-30mim walk though are to be seriously discouraged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

It is.

But I think you don't understand ( maybe you do ) why some quarters are very annoyed at it.

Its the unfairness of the whole thing.

Lot of people out there with Celtic Tiger debt hangovers and the only way they could enjoy these 'luxuries' is to retro fit them to their homes themselves. Of course you've grants etc but these just push up prices.

You can say shure why don't you go sign on yourself so etc. I'll tell you something , people from my industry ( construction) generally 'enjoy' going to work ( social aspect, pride, money etc). Alot of comments though about cutting down the working week to 3 days for example and cash for remaining. Who could blame them for wanting to use the system at this stage.

All genuine people want is fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

What’s in it for renters and how do we get the credit? Revenue.ie or something?

The government bribed me with me own money but I should be thankful....strange logic that.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭al87987

Happy with:

Increasing tax bands/credits*

Reduction in college fees and childcare

Free contraception for women

Not happy with:

Fuel Allowance (Get people out of cars while we can, goes directly against our climate change objectives)

Bit too much thrown at people on the Dole

Lack of help for Low-Middle income earners

HTB extension and other housing schemes (Just facilitates price increases)

*Affects me personally

As far as I can see just the tax band changing will affect me, would much rather they put some more of this money away for a rainy day or paid off the debt but there's a fair whiff of vote buying here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Ah right, thanks. It’s just for those at pension age so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,178 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Because average is the average of everyone in the country. The average wage of someone earning 100k and someone earning 20k is 60k. By the reasoning you've provided there on a basic scale you'd wind up with the person on 100k paying no tax on most of their wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

instead of being taxed higher rate over 36500 , you will be taxed normal rate so basically feck all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So explain to me what the problem is? I just don't get it?

It's also not about the solar panels, heat pumps etc, it seems to me that people scream for more social housing to be built but then begrudge it when people get it and then criticise these people for having a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

They abolished the third higher rate of tax and brought their taxation rates into line with ours. We never had a third higher rate of income tax to start with.

So again, don't know where you get your info on Britain. Or why you compare them with us because our stuff is usually worse than theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,893 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Fuel Allowance (Get people out of cars while we can, goes directly against our climate change objectives)

LOL it's for heating your home, not for driving

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The minimum wage went up by 7.6% only 2 weeks ago. Not going to go up again!

Also it was announced by Paschal that €6bn will be put into the national reserve rainy day fund over the next year.

Extra money for weed too which eventually goes back to the government when the dealers spend that money in shops etc. It's all a cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I fùcking hate budget day....same aul wànk every year.....

- Leaks galore pre the actual speech....

- Same whingers rolled out every year saying its not enough..."its a disgrace"...gimme gimme gimme...

- RTE news going over the top on the coverage trying to justify their grossly overpaid jobs and staffing levels...

- Sinn Fein saying they would spend way more on XYZ....fantasy land shìte....

- Rinse and repeat ad nasuem throughout the day...

- Finish off with octomum on Prime Time talking to some bellend from KPMG about whats in it for different types of people.....in front of a loaded audience of whingers that say " it doesnt go far enough"....

Finished off with a final debate of paschal v doherty.....

Same shìte - different year.... like christmas, without the chocolates and willy wonka....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

The least Green budget ever.

The Green voters must be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Does this sound correct?

Salary 41k and pension contribution for the year is 2k so taxable income is therefore 39k - when i look at the tax calculators that are up now, it looks like i lose the 40% tax relief on the pension and it's down to 20%? Would that be correct?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Damien360

My son is a first year apprentice and is on €204 per week. Asked the very same question. Why bother.

Advertisement