Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon.de return lost in transit by Anpost express post.

• 27-09-2022 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

I had returned a mobile phone worth € 527 purchased from Amazon.de. I used Anpost express post to return the phone as Amazon.de do not provide prepaid return label for returns from Ireland. Anpost express post has a 2 working days turn around in EU but my return is not delivered to Amazon even after 11 days. Tracking show item is in Frankfurt DHL facility with no status update. Anpost is saying they can't do anything as item is in a foreign country even if it is lost most they can do is return the postage cost. they are not legally obliged to return the cost of the item.

Amazon is refusing to refund as tracking is not showing item delivered. Can i claim against Amazon in small claims court as they never provided prepaid return label?

Post edited by whiterebel on

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

An Post don't take Mobile phones because of the batteries, so if there was one in it, they'll refuse anyway. I can't see a judge ruling against Amazon for not providing a return label.

No, with an item of that value you should have used an insured delivery service. If it hasn't been returned Amazon will not issue a refund.

Persevere with AnPost, and possibly try contacting DHL with your tracking number.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Mod: Moved to Consumer Issues, which is more suitable for the question being asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭jusvi2001

They accepted it. in fact asked what item and value of the item. Anpost post is not going to refund the value of the item.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,143 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

That's why high value items should be sent with insured cover.

• Advertisement

My bad. I didn't know that express post international can be insured. I have contacted DHL they redirected me to Anpost as parcel was booked through them.

To be honest it didn't even cross my mind as Amazon asked to use any trackable postal service and they will refund the return post cost of €11. return email only had this information and address label, nothing about insurance. Anpost was coming up as cheapest option for shipping (cost €15.5).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,769 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Are Amazon.de required to provide a prepaid return label? Their website says it applies to “some”.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Nope, there's no requirement for Amazon or any company to provide prepaid labels.

Amazon generally provides them for lots of items but in cases where they can't and the return reason is not their fault they can refund return postage costs. if the return reason is not their fault (change of mind) then its totally on the customer to pay return costs.

As you paid postage and if the item is lost in transit its on you to pursue the matter with the carrier. Its not Amazon's responsibility and the are not liable for the lost item.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

Its possibly in a bulk lot of items due to be processed by amazon. They are notoriously slow at processing returns when it is of a higher value

DHL owns Deutsche Post - so you will see "dhl", but in reality its the local postal service.

AnPost have completed their part of the job as well as they can. Dispatched from here, delivered to Germany.

My guess is Amazon get pallets of returns and they don't get scanned at delivery until the item is processed by Amazon.

This is from Amazon.com, but I suspect the same policy is in Germany - After the carrier receives your item, it can take up to two weeks for us to receive and process your return. Certain items can take up to 30 days.

Another poster had issue with a return to Samsung in Dublin - it took over 2 weeks for the samsung returns section to process it. And again in that case it was nothing to do with an post it was the poster not understanding that returns take time to process.

• Advertisement

if DHL/Deutsche post update scan with status 'Delivered' would have solved my case but my return is stuck with DHL with status ' The shipment is being prepared for onward transport.Destination country/region: Germany since last 10 days. I rang DHL Germany but none of them speak english. DHL Ireland is redirecting me to Anpost. no help from DHL or Anpost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

an post tops out the insurance at 250 yoyos anyway and will do everything they can to not pay out, takes about 6 months of chasing to get them to pay out, scam really

express post should rename as snail post. 2 days delivery to EU is a lie.

Looks like they did deliver in 2 days.

That the internal system of Deutsche Post DHL (its one company) for amazon has not actually scanned the package as "delivered" is a Deutsche Post DHL / Amazon issue and not a An Post issue.

Amazon.de is HUGE. They probably get TENS of thousands of returns every day. They state that it takes up to 30 days to process.

So frankly you seem to be jumping the gun because it does not suit your expectations despite their website telling you it takes a lot longer.

I think 10 days with no delivery or status update is an issue for a 600 euro item

like if it was insured by AN Post and lost by DHL it would be an posts problem

Does the value of the item influence delivery time?

The fact that the value is €600 won’t make it get there quicker nor make Amazon scan it’s delivery sooner.

An Post would claim off Deutsche Post DHL. Same way that if you have a crash and its someone else's fault, you claim off your insurance and they in turn have it settled from the other person's insurance.

It is almost certainly in a plastic bulk box with dozens of other returns and dozens of other bulk boxes.

Here's the bulk box used by almost all European postal services - https://www.dssmith.com/china/industries/automotive/solutions/packaging-solutions/bulk-packaging/bulk-returnable-containers

Amazon state that it takes 14 days (and sometimes longer) from time it gets to them, so the OP should wait 14 days from the day after it got scanned in Frankfurt.

If their system does not suit, buy elsewhere.

Well I have no problem if Amazon takes 14 days or 30 days for refund processing as long as item is delivered to them and the status is updated as ' Delivered' on DHL or Anpost website. My return is still in Frankfurt which is 450 km away from Amazon return address (Dresden, Germany) on the packet. so technically Amazon didn't received my return to process the refund.

Anpost sold me 'express post' as 2 days delivery product but in my case my return is still not delivered to Amazon even after 14 days sending it from my local post office. i am not jumping the gun but worried as my return worth €500 + is lost in transit.

• Advertisement

How do you know it is in Frankfurt?

The tracking is simply showing the last place it has scanned. Doesn't mean its there.

I had a parcel delivered this morning. At 6.30am the scan showed it was in Dublin Mails Centre. At 6.40 it showed as out for delivery - about 120km from the Dublin mails centre as that was the next scan.

So what you have is confirmation it has reached Frankfurt on a certain day. Probably 2 days or less after you posted it. that th German / Deutsche Post DHL system has not scanned it as accepted in Amazon is not really an an post issue especially as amazon state that it takes "10 working days after the carrier has received it" to process and sometimes longer.

That's from the Amazon.de returns page and its very clear.

Their "carrier" is Deutsche Post DHL.

I'm simply trying to allays your fears with a rational explanation (exactly as I did for another poster who had a worry on a samsung return - and I was 100% accurate) - if you want to get yourself worked up and paly a blame game, go ahead.

Thanks you for your post i hope my return will reach amazon as you said.

Last year my return to amazon.co.uk was not refunded as there was no record my item reaching their return center. after 4 weeks and few emails to and from customer service they processed my refund on the fact that the tracking showed ' Delivered' scan even though they have no record of my item reaching their returns processing center.

not sure what that has to do with anything

its not amazon scanning it that is delaying it, DHL arent sitting there waiting for it to processed, its not taking to 2 weeks to get to amazon

Advertisement