Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frying Frozen chips in the deep fat fryer questions

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

+1 for beef fat. We used to get a chipper every week or two, but a mix of the price of a bag of chips going up and the fact most chippers in Sligo are crap led us to start making our own. Seed oils are pretty bad for making home made chips and you really need beef dripping for a proper chip.

Frytex beef dripping is okay and quite cheap, but the packet is a bit misleading. It says "pure beef dripping" but it contains rapeseed oil. We started buying the James Whelan butchers beef dripping from Dunnes instead. It's about 2.5 times the price of frytex but makes great chips. When we're done we usually run the beef dripping through a cheese cloth to filter out any bits and then store it in the fridge. The package says it can be re-used up to 5 times, but you could quite easily use it at least 10 times if you filter it well after every use.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭put_the_kettle_on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,271 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I'm not sure if you're hoping for a yes or a no here 😄

It smells far less than seed oils. That was the thing that surprised me when we first tried the frytex a few months back. There was no lingering smell in the air afterwards (the extractor fan over the hob probably helps). The james whelan one does smell a bit beef-ier and you can tell it's better stuff, but it doesn't linger either. I can't smell the frytex one even if I stand over the pot for a sniff. Last time I used crisp n dry the smell was all over the house the rest of the night. I bloody hate it.

Lard/beef dripping has a bad reputation but it's undeserved I think. Great stuff altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Johna Fallon

in my 50 years in the Catering Industry , I have never dropped frozen chips into a deep fat fryer,

this results in clouds of oily steam destroying your kitchen, the oil breaks down very quickly, and chips take much longer to cook.

leave frozen chips out for 15 or 20 minutes before cooking, No greasy steam ,oil lasts longer, and chips cook much more quickly,

• Advertisement
Advertisement