Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Assuming you're single you'll get about €200 a year from changes in USC bands and increase in personal credits. Also will get €600 for electricity bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,054 ✭✭✭✭rob316

From my family view, the €500 carers cash payment is nice, double child benefit, increase to carers allowance,domicillary care and tax cut. But overall your no better off than what you were last year. There is more energy rises to come on top of everything else.

I'm not complaining, its better than expected but fundamental changes are needed to alot of expenditure and funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

I agree with all but fuel allowance, pensioners(and disability) are most vunrable to the massive increases in electricity, coal and oil - this was totally needed.

5 euro quid is an awful lot to them and most I know budget down to the button. I can sleep soundly now knowing my granny’s leccy and coal is sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Yeah that's gonna affect some people on the cusp of the higher rate amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Why not just watch Netflix for the day. Easy to change the channel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Interesting Changes as part of healthcare...

• Over 400,000 more people eligible for free GP care
    • Free contraception scheme is extended up to and including 30-year-olds
    • Inpatient charges in hospitals scrapped
    • Publicly funded IVF treated to launch in 2023

So 400k people sounds great, but we know there is huge shortage of medical professionals in Ireland. I don't think this will help (much)

Contraception up to 30 is welcome

The IVF thing is the most surprising thing of the lot. It's no secret that we're entering a into and aging population issue. I think the government wants people to have kids and not have issue having children as and when they are ready. many people are having to wait until they are in their 30's until their situation is stable enough to raise children.

I'm 39, most of my friends have 1 or no children. a few have 2 and I think two have 3.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I would never say "why don't you go sign on yourself", because it is a profoundly stupid comment for many reasons.

I do understand why some quarters are annoyed at it, but I would ask them what they would rather see? And I suspect the answer from many would be that those in council houses don't get solar panels etc so that they have higher energy bills which is just not good reasoning. As you mention they have put in grants etc and ultimately it benefits everyone when standards for council housing are good.

I would call it a perception of unfairness rather than actual unfairness personally and I understand and empathise with the genesis of it. But I also don't have a lot of time for anyone suggesting they shouldn't be doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

You wouldn't see a lot of them on google maps as they are recently constructed or under construction at the moment.

But if you look at Limerick city and county council planning number 188014 you will see on the roof plans there are solar panels there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

And this is exactly why local authorities can't just throw up houses like they did in the famous 1950s - how often do we hear politicians & commentators blathering on that LA should take over building and build their own houses like they did decades ago.

They got by then with very simple construction, cheap & not very cheerful. Little in the way of fitting them out.

Since then we've been hoist of the twin forks of rising expectations and onerous building regulations.

Technically they are beyond the ability of LAs and they cost a bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

That's a bit crap tbf, over 200euro in the difference

• Advertisement

Sure they give with one hand and take with the other, same story always. This is all calculated into the budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭Allinall

You'll get 40% tax relief on €1,000 and 20% on the second €1000.

A loss of €200 for you on the pension relief.

However, you will have €2,200 of pay now taxed at 20% instead of 40% ( 39,000 - 36,800) so a gain of 440.

Overall a gain of €220 for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Have they reduced tax relief on pensions that people save for?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,465 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You are looking at the wrong way.

As a proportion that person earning over 40k will pay a lot more tax than someone on 32k, so it stands to reason they get more back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,531 ✭✭✭jaffa20

A giveaway budget... yeah sure. I feel so much richer on my 3.67 euro per week! Do I need to wait until January for it?

No. You get tax relief on your marginal tax rate, so if you're paying at the 40% rate, you'll get 40% tax relief.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't get what you're arguing about or why.

Britain dropped the tax rate of their wealthiest people, ie those who earn over £150k a year from 45% to 40%. Therefore rich people are taking in thousands more per year that they do not need whilst the average working received a 1% drop in standard tax rate.

That is not what is happening in Ireland and "Our stuff" like tax rates, social welfare , wealth distribution, tax systems, are much fairer and better here and not "worse than theirs".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

this is why i never ever vote ever

no matter who is in office , we get fooked and not even with lube

usc supposed to be a temporary tax etc

spongers on dole ( not talking disability folk or carers so relax ) talking about longterm scum who never ever contribute to society other than a drain on it , and they get a nice little bump up of €12 a week

whole government need to be dragged out and and a complete reform from the ground up is needed , with a completely diff structure

like who in the dail looked at the €7k wage hike and said " yep this seems ok " and passes it , no accountability with these shower and never will be

I really wanted to MUP on alcohol scrapped, needless legislation adding to inflation.

I also wanted the energy market to be properly regulated, standing charges scrapped so those who do use less as properly encouraged to. Just like the property market all the government have done is subsidize the profits of the suppliers. Mark my words there will be another increase announced in December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

A decent budget from my perspective. You cannot please all of the people all of the time but all things considered its not bad at all. Between the change to tax, the child benefit bonus payment and the €600 energy credit, it works out at a noticeable amount extra each month when spread across 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,481 ✭✭✭Damien360

Whole government need to be dragged out……..

If you don’t vote then the above will not happen. Either use your voice in a vote or you really can’t complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Regarding the childcare fees cut, it's welcomed. Of course it is. It's financially killing my family each month. But after hearing the promise of a 25% reduction, was a little disappointed to find out in my case it's a 12% cut. It is limited to 175/mo per household I think rather than per child. Can somebody confirm?

The government seem to have acknowledge the 750 per child average cost, but the 25% reduction would only ring true if there was one child. In my case there are 2, and a monthly bill of €1,550. This now will drop to €1,375. A nice reduction, but it's still an egregrious expense.

Why are people going on and on about the long term when the number is so small.

It's less than 40,000 or 1.7% of the workforce.

There's always going to be a group like that for various reasons and they get too much focus from whingers as if they are the major cost of money to the state.

https://tradingeconomics.com/ireland/long-term-unemployment-rate

• Registered Users Posts: 17,446 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Thank God, thought there was nothing in it for the working man/woman/it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

like who in the dail looked at the €7k wage hike and said " yep this seems ok " and passes it , no accountability with these shower and never will be

The increase in salary is part of the general public sector pay deal. TD salaries are pegged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Feeling A little pegged myself .

Hard to take your complaints serious if you don't bother to vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

i just get on with my own life

all parties are the same tho , none worth a vote , all promise the this and that and never deliver so why bother with any

• Advertisement

If you're happy enough to just get on with your own life, why are you complaining?

Advertisement