Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Would it not be applied off your final bill ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

For anyone interested... my complaint to CRU about comparison sites effectively hiding the fact that direct deals with energy companies could be cheaper, has been decided upon.

I questioned the practice used on a particular comparison site where a tick box didn't fully explain the implication of selecting it, in that it would prevent you seeing better deals available directly from suppliers. This was raised in the context where the CRU officially endorses comparison sites and encourages consumers to use them.

Surprise, surprise.... the CRU has considered my complaint and decided that the comparison site complies with their specified requirements. In my opinion, their self imposed requirement is ineffective, since it does not protect the consumer and gives a false sense of officially approved trust. It would be better if the CRU said nothing about price comparison websites and so the consumer could exert the standard 'buyer beware' approach, without the impression of some sort of implied trust through official approval.

The wording of the CRU decision, is as follows :

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you for contacting the CRU and for your patience while we have been examining your query.

Your query was passed through to the team which is responsible for the auditing of Price Comparison Websites. The CRU has not identified an issue of non-compliance in relation to your query at this time. The Price Comparison Website in question is complying with the CRU’s framework.

We acknowledge your comments with respect to some suppliers offering cheaper tariffs to customers who contact them directly. This is a practice widely adopted in many sectors. Energy suppliers are not obliged to avail of the services of Price Comparison Websites, it is a tool to assist customers who may find the switching process difficult. It is at the discretion of the suppliers which tariffs they permit the price comparison websites to allow customers switch to via said website.

Similarly, suppliers may offer tariffs to customers that are exclusive to the Price Comparison Website.

Customers at all times have a choice as to whether they wish to switch via the Price Comparison Website or go direct.

We hope you found this information helpful.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

In my opinion, they are avoiding the issue that they officially approve the operation of these sites and encourage consumers to use them. At the very least, they could insist that the sites explain their exact mode of operation in the very clear terms that the CRU reply to me outlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I meant to say my usage is low (less than €100) and I pay monthly so if they applied all of it tomorrow I'd have 6 months of credit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Gooser14

The following extract from cru.ie details the rules applied with the last credit:

"What if I switch electricity supplier, will I still get the credit?

Yes. If you switch electricity supplier between 29 March 2022 and 30 June 2022, it is the supplier you were with on 29 March 2022 that will be responsible for providing you with the credit. A supplier may apply the credit to your closing bill if applicable or credit you back via the means by which you pay your bills."

Home / Government Electricity Costs Emergency Benefit Scheme FAQs

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BlitheSpirit

I switched providers after the eligibility date, but before the credit was given. Got it paid straight to my bank account without any hassle.

• Advertisement

Thanks, my brain isn't operating properly today - never thought to check there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I switched via bonkers 4 weeks ago, from EI to Airtricity, or at least I thought I did, no contact from old or new supplier in that time so I don't know whats going on. Now when I go to bonkers or switcher and try compare current prices the only ones being shown are EI, nothing else comes up. Very weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bunderoon

I got the smart meter installed today. Replaced the 40 year old meter. On Electric Ireland with the normal day rate. Just out of the year 'discount' with them. Have the option to go back with them as per the below screenshots.

I have no solar PV or electric car.

~6500 kWh usage per year.

I went on Bonkers.ie and chose normal meter and a separate tab for smart meter.

Normal tariff quote:

Smart Meter Tariff quote:

Is it true that if I choose a smart tariff, that I can never go back to a normal 24hr tariff?

Wondering what I should do here.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Told ye so! But well done for issuing a complaint.

Assuming that the estimated annual bill amounts shown are for your annual usage then it looks like the 24 hr normal tariff is the best of the three shown. In view of this I can't see why you would want to change to a smart tariff plan.

According to the following extract from the Energia Web site it is not possible to revert to a non smart meter tariff:

"Can I change back to a non-smart tariff after I have moved to smart?

No. It is not possible to move back to a non-smart meter tariff once you have selected a Smart Tariff from Energia. You can have a Smart meter installed and remain on your current non-smart tariff."

The article at the link below gives some useful info on smart meters:

https://selectra.ie/energy/guides/meters/smart-meters-ireland#what-are-the-pros-and-cons-of-a-smart-meter

Post edited by Gooser14 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

Most of the companies offers arent available through bonkers at the moment, make sure to choose

Only show tariffs available for sign up? NO

I probably knew myself that they were never going to admit a fault on their part, and since they are 'independent' and therefore untouchable, they can say whatever they want and do as piss poor a job as they do, and nobody can say anything against them.

It's a great little country to do business in.... as Enda Kenny used to say.

Was there any mention in the budget today about the 9% VAT rate on electricity continuing beyond 31 Oct 22?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Extended til 28 Feb 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭zell12

It is extended til end February 2023

I thought that applied to the reduction in VAT for the hospitality sector. Didn't realise it applied to the electricity & gas also.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Fair play to you for following it up becasue these kinds of shenanigans need to be called out even if sod all ever changes.

What you've got there is a typical civil service reply where they dance on the head of a pin for 4 or 5 paragraphs before claiming the case is closed. It just goes to show that even when the CRU arent toothless to do something they are useless instead. Like it is their brand name and logo on Bonkers' site so the CRU hold all the cards in their relationship, if they wanted to have things changed they could do it or else refuse to endorse their website like they are currently doing.

But despite you pointing out that customers can get duped into paying higher prices by the "Only show tariffs available for sign up?" tick bov the CRU still come down on the side of a business over more than 2 million households paying for energy at a time of huge prices. They even admit that price comparison websites make it easier for customers who find it difficult to switch (i.e often people who are not internet savvy and the vulnerable) but in the same reply are perfectly fine with these groups paying more for their energy than need be. All so a price comparison site can get their 10 or 15% commission from the sign up but the customer ends up paying over the odds. Some regulator <rolleyes>

• Registered Users Posts: 10,116 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Unfortunately I'm tied to Flogas for my gas for the guts of a year (long story). Was going to move my electricity today but looked and couldn't believe the price for electricity with Flogas. Have a smart meter but a non smart EI plan was at least a third cheaper than it would have been to move to Flogas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I moved from Bord Gais earlier this after the credit had been applied and my account was in overall credit. They transferred the remaining credit to my bank account automatically on closing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭chases0102

Has this happened to anyone? Mad to leave EI but stuck in contract….almost sure there was a switching bonus when joining 12 months ago ( in a 2 yr contract)

Do we know why this is? Its the same with switcher.ie at the moment.

It is because the comparison sites have a little scam going where they don't clearly tell you that they know of better offers, that you won't see, unless you click 'no' on the 'only show tariffs available for sign up' tick box.

I have complained to the CRU about it, but they don't care. See my post #933 above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

There's a few posts discussing it above, I always assumed it was the site not getting a fee to switch for that offer from the companies, but that was just a guess.

Looks like the electricity & gas suppliers no longer want to be paying commission to comparison sites such as switcher & bonkers.

I looked at them a few weeks back when my contract ended and they showed me loads of offers, now it's only two, my current supplier and panda power unless I do as you say and tick the box to show me all offers. Even with that box ticked the cheapest offers are seemingly still the only two available for sign up via bonkers.

I had assumed that's what it was alright since as I mentioned above they showed me loads of offers a few weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

I wouldn't bother calling them comparison sites they are effectively brokers. Making money out of consumers changing providers. I had an issue a year or so ago where my rates didn't match what bonkers had sent me when I was switching supplier. There attitude was appalling and they just wanted to pawn me off to the supplier. The supplier came back to me in the mean time but I had a good mind to report them to the CRU.

These websites aren't primarily there for the consumer and are happy to exaggerate savings when trying to prompt you to switch.

I use the sites for a quick comparison but I always do my own research on the supplier websites. I always do the switch on the suppliers website.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,853 ✭✭✭billyhead

Folks. My contracts with Flogas and SSE airtricity are due to expire next week. Who are offering the best deals for gas and electricity at present?

• Advertisement

Advertisement