Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cupra Born

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Izzy77

Delighted for you. The wait is nearly over!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

The neighbors must have thought I was a bit mad yesterday as I was gently dragging my microfiber drying towel across the car yesterday after its first wash...

@Buddy Bubs happy days! That must be most of the original orders for anyone on here now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Well wear even as the owner of a Model 3 I think the Born must be the best looking EV under 100K, Cupra really know how to style a car, if I can convince the missus she needs to be me we’ll be sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

I

Don't know why they came put sideways. 2 aurora blue in the dealer, didn't see any others at all. Just popped in on way home from work

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Ex-wife is still waiting for the airbag fix ...

• Advertisement

That's mental. Are they just waiting on a new part or sensor? Surprised it left the factory if it was throwing up an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 hitower78

@Buddy Bubs can I ask what dealer? I have an e-boost on order since February and at this stage I suspect it won’t arrive this year or be honoured at the price I ordered at

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Interesting, when I ordered in late Feb I was given no option other than the 58kW version.

McCoys

I didn't order mine at all, suspect somebody else did and cancelled or something. I was just told in August I could have one in late September

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 hitower78

Think my dealer said he took orders for six of each and, as best I can tell, all of the 204s have arrived or are close. No e-boosts yet though and no sign of them on the horizon either

@Buddy Bubs thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Wait until you take the leaf blower out to dry it off rather than contact dry it 🤣🤣🤣

Do these cars have self parking as standard, where the wheel turns itself?

Saw a video on it just wondering if it's just on top spec ones or not.

Oh, and my car is registered, grant approved and collecting tomorrow lunchtime.

Exciting times!

Mine has the park assist, but I think that comes with the Tech L pack that I paid extra for.

Is it too early to start complaining?!

I absolutely love car but they are a few niggly things that are bugging me...

Might leave it for another while, don't want to piss on everybody's chips here!

Mine has tech L too, it's the only option on mine apart from colour. Good to know

You might as well be honest, could be helpful to the rest of us

Ah no if you have any issues feel free to share, could be useful for future buyers or even people who recently got their cars.

Regards to park assist, it's part of the Tech L pack which was a forced option for the early cars, evident from parking sensors directly on the wheel arches. It will accelerate and brake automatically too, in my Golf it would only steer. It worked well in the Golf, particularly as the sensors are pretty reliable and it was good at getting even between cars. I need to use it a bit more in the Born before I trust the automatic accelerating and braking.

Ok so, this is quite pedantic...!

A few weeks of ownership and I'm very happy with the car. Love the way it drives, love the way it looks. Being very picky, there are a few things bugging me, mostly minor thankfully.

The drivers side wiper is the bottom of the pair, resulting in the passenger side wiper leaving a trail of water coming off the tip as it swipes down, right in the drivers eye line. I assume this is a result of Cupra not bothering to reverse the layout when switching to RHD. At least they mirrored the lights control panel over, unlike the ID3 I test drove.

It's a shame they didnt implement a seat memory function with the Dinamica seats. There even seems to be a blank plastic cover where memory buttons would go. I also feel the rear wiper washer is very cheaply implemented as just a spray over to one side or the rear window that barely strikes the wiper. The passenger side mirror dip function when selecting reverse seems to only be activated by rotating the mirror control knob over to the "L" position, which has to be manually selected every journey. Annoying.

My not so minor complaint, unfortunately, is the Aurora Blue. Although it's a beautiful colour (and in bright sunshine and with a clean car it is spectacular), it's way darker than I expected and is not the vibrant rich blue I was hoping for. Almost looks a dull green at times. I suspect the white might be the best colour available, looking forward to seeing one in the metal!

But otherwise I'm very pleased and love the car! Feel quite smug when I drive by a petrol station or indeed when I pass an ID3 which is by far the uglier cousin of the Born in my opinion!

(Having said that, I don't think the ID3 is at all ugly, just not as nice as the Born!)

Mine is aurora blue too, I saw it for first time yesterday and it was parked in the shade and I get what you're saying. I saw it again today and it was partially in the sun and looked different where the sun hit it. Overall the car looked a few different colour shades in different spots. There was bright sky blue, navy and that teal green you mentioned depending on where i looked . And not only the sun, it looked different above and below the panel lines. Can't say I was disappointed though.

I don't think it had been washed yet as it only arrived in dealer that day but they are giving it a prep before I collect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,153 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The ID3 in black over manganese grey with Sanya black alloys is by far the best combination within this family of cars.

It is cool, it is unpretentious and it drives better than the Born, being no less powerful in 204 guise, but not as unnecessarily hard riding as the Born. Besides, unshackled electric power will get you a ticket every bit as quick as it will drain your battery.

These cars are urban cruisers, quiet, relaxing, effortless, efficient if used correctly. It would take a bit more than bronze accents to make one distinct enough to be a 'hot' variant of the other. Might as well be comfortable in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭dubsphan

Interesting opinion.

Personally, the Born in Quasar Grey with the 19" black and copper alloys is the most striking combination. The copper accents look great on this too.

Each to their own I suppose.

Are you sure about the accelerating and braking being controlled by the park assist? I haven't tried it yet but the dealer said it only controlled the steering.

It's not really possible for the ID.3 to drive better than the Born if it has softer suspension, softer suspension doesn't handle as nicely as there's more body roll in the corners and more movement going over bumpy surfaces. If the Born was harsh it would handle sharper like a GTI or Cupra Leon and that's actually one of my small complaints about the Born, the suspension could be stiffer for sharper handling.

A lot of people think they drive the same, most reviewers don't even think there's a difference at all so I don't believe there's much difference in drive comfort. It doesn't have different shocks or sway bars just sport springs which are only a mild drop in ride height.

I know comfort is subjective but I've spent a lot of time driving Hyundai, Opel and Peugeot competitors that were legitimately rough rides, they're just cheap quality suspension that would rattle your fillings out. VW stuff tends to soak up bumps well even if on the former side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭eagerv

The drivers side wiper is the bottom of the pair, resulting in the passenger side wiper leaving a trail of water coming off the tip as it swipes down, right in the drivers eye line. I assume this is a result of Cupra not bothering to reverse the layout when switching to RHD.

What a pity Cupra haven't changed the wipers to the correct side. One of the few things that annoyed me on my previous ID.3. The lead wiper should be on the drivers' side. After a single wipe the smear line is right in your eye view. Looks like it could be a simple enough job to change the crank arms around, pity it hasn't been implemented as yet.

Also because the drivers side wiper starts from a lower position it does not reach quite as far to the A pillar as the passenger side. So there is a slightly larger blindspot at the A pillar for the driver, which is increased because of the distance of the driver from the windscreen. More noticeable when the windscreen is covered in muck.

Post edited by eagerv on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,153 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Handling is irrelevant as both the Born and the ID3 weigh 2 tonnes. With the electric steering and regen braking, its just not a rewarding platform on the twisty stuff.

I've driven a couple of versions of each and it's not that the ID3 is noticeably softer, as the suspension is necessarily quite stiff for the low down weight, its that the Born is stiffer again and feels far too hard over road imperfections, ramps, manholes etc and it simply doesn't offer the reward on the open road to make the compromise worth while.

Yeah it's definitely fully autonomous but you can control the brake without interrupting it if you need to. The older version of park assist in my Golf required manual braking and accelerating plus indicating to select what side to park on. The new ID.3 software doesn't require indicating and can detect spaces at a higher speed so I'm curious if it's the same in the Born.

You can adjust the wiper so that the drivers side is the upper one.

• Advertisement

Collected mine at lunchtime. Have android auto setup so that'll do me for now, I'll get in among the menus later and mess around with settings. Only did about 15kms back to work in it so far but she's lively, feels very quick.

Lots of beeps and warnings so far I'll have to sort that out!

Advertisement