Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

As a personal anecdote - I own a property in London (used to be my home, before I relocated back to Ireland), and my tenants have just announced they're moving out. A week ago, I'd have been more on the fence about selling the flat or renting it out, but after the last few days, I'll very likely sell up, given how bad things are turning in the UK, especially. I'm sure other landlords will be thinking along similar lines, so the UK may now see a surge in landlords offloading properties, the way that we have here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

No, COVID had no effect on cooling the property market, which is true. The opposite happened.

I don't think rising interest rates or 1 or 2% will cool it either.

I'm open to being proven wrong, but a price crash won't happen. Supply is low, demand is high and nothing will change there for years. COVID, Brexit, and a war in Europe has done little to reduce demand, or increase supply. Prices are just hitting the ceiling of affordability.

Demand dictates the price of assets. Policy incentivises or disincentivises demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

bloomberg piece on office real estate in america. interesting if this happens here once eu starts hiking. i wonder would how much more labour it would free up to for housing projects?

I can offer two reasons why office-market watchers aren't as pessimistic about the future of the sector as they should be — and not nearly pessimistic enough compared with all the negativity about housing and employment.

First, they're still thinking about office activity as a pandemic-related behavioral change that's still in the process of normalizing

Reality: Office buildings are interest-rate and economically sensitive assets with deteriorating fundamentals despite still-booming employment growth.

Second is a lack of imagination. We know what it's like when unemployment hits 10%, home prices plunge and there are millions of foreclosed homes. But we — particularly we in the media whose professional lives are so wrapped up in cities and offices — struggle to imagine how that plays out in business districts.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Not sure the value of a US commercial property piece in relation to Irish residential property market.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Rising interest rates will cool the market but I don't expect to see anything like a direct mapping between mortgage cost increases and price decreases.

There is a reason for this, and it is that there are plenty of financially illiterate people who place too much weight on arguments that are similar to those in the rest of your post. It is what happened in the mid-2000's when every eejit was piling in blindly ignoring the warnings that things were unsustainable. Unfortunately, some of those who were wreckless were rewarded by the State and society by being bailed out directly and indirectly. Only for that the impact on the market would have been a lot worse.

You can possibly take on a bit more risk if you have a genuine path for career advancement such that you are fairly sure that your salary will increase sufficiently over time. That is not strictly the case for everyone though. And that is the reason why there are stricter rules now preventing people from taking on too much mortgage debt. There are still people who are in arrears since the last crash. 14 years on and they still haven't been able to get back to where they thought they would be. There have also been a noticeable increase on various auction sites of receiver sales of all types of property. Many of that would have been in the hands of receivers as a result of the last crash and they are only finally being offloaded now.

Will we see State intervention again if rates continue to rise - unfortunately it is likely that we will. The fiscally prudent who didn't take on debt that they couldn't service will find themselves paying higher taxes to subsidize those who were reckless. If rates take a few more jumps there is no doubt that you will have people calling for State intervention or tax credits or subsidies or changes to rules etc.

You can see my example a few posts up. If you can afford to pay a level 420 Euro per month, then you can service a mortgage of 100k if you get it at 3% fixed for 30 years. Whereas if your rate is 4% you can only afford to service a loan of about 88.5k. Maybe you won't understand the risks and you fire ahead anyway and try to fudge things to take on the 100k@4%. And maybe it would work out for you, or maybe your property would be up for auction by a receiver in 14 years.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,733 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Your post is confusing as you contradict yourself only a few paragraphs apart.

On the one hand, "we have stricter rules preventing people taking on too much mortgage debt" and then you follow it up with "prices won't drop because people are stupid and will take on too much mortgage debt".

Am I misreading?

The LTI rules have been very successful.

And that is the reason why there are stricter rules now preventing people from taking on too much mortgage debt.

The fiscally prudent who didn't take on debt that they couldn't service will find themselves paying higher taxes to subsidize those who were reckless.

Maybe you won't understand the risks and you fire ahead anyway and try to fudge things to take on the 100k@4%.

These sentences seem contradictory to me, but perhaps I am misunderstanding.

I would say the majority of Irish people are not financially prudent, judging by the lack of pension plans and savings.

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/new-research-reveals-significant-gaps-in-irish-pension-planning-42002940.html

Yes. There are LTI rules. Everyone know that. But it is not mandatory that you have to pay that amount. If you see a house for sale for 250k but your LTI cap is 300k, then you aren't obliged to pay 300k for it.

My point is simply a response to the the other poster's point that there would not be a one-to-one correspondence between what you should mathematically expect and what might happen. Mathematically, you might expect a 10% drop but in reality it might only drop 5% or 6% for example as some people aren't able to work out that actual calculation and will overpay. We saw it a few posts above where a poster said that a 1% raise in 30-year fixed rates would need roughly an 11% drop in cost to stay the same over the life of the mortgage. And they were immediately told that was ridiculous....because if you don't, or can't, work it out you might think that that a 10% drop sounds silly. I never said that there would be no drop. I was only agreeing that it might not drop as much as you would mathematically expect it to.

And yes, even with LTI, you will get people rushing to take on debt that they shouldn't. There will be people in positions or companies which are not in great condition who rush "to get onto the property ladder while we can still get a loan". That kind of thing. LTI is there to mitigate against people taking on debt they shouldn't. It does not mean that anyone borrowing up to their LTI max is absolutely guaranteed to be able to afford their mortgage for its lifetime.

In the budget today we have tax reliefs for renters and also some additional reliefs for landlords.The tax reliefs for renters are really a benefit to the landlord because they allow people to pay their landlord amounts that might otherwise not be sustainable. Some of those landlords are amateur small-timers or accidental landlords who would have borrowed since LTI limits came in .... but here we are and they spent the last few weeks trying to lobby for tax relief on their income .........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Unless you fix the rental market, it actually is logical for someone to borrow as much as they possibly can if it results in buying a home. Maybe that shouldn't make sense, but right now it does. And that's before you consider that its nigh-on impossible to lose your home in this country.

That's fine. But if you make that choice then you shouldn't be entertained if it turns out in a year or two that you can't pay your mortgage and start asking for help from the State.

As opposed to being unable to pay your rent, and asking for help from the state?

Like, your decision here is down to which bad-outcome is worse, mortgage arrears or homelessness.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

I agree with your points but we can only deal with things as they are, not as they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Why did prices FY2019 retract in Ireland?

Covid messed up the market for various reasons. Not just here but around the world. Now that interest rates are rising, we are seeing price drops in many markets around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Having a pension plan in place when you can't afford your rent or are saving to purchase a home isn't a runner. In the latter case it actively counts against you and with the age of first time buyers increasing the number of pensions being paid into by people under 40 is likely to be miniscule going forward.

Glazers Out!

This will all come out in the wash, but I firmly believe that renting is so abysmal that increasing interest rates will not dissuade buyers and cause a large drop in house prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Even though this is exactly what is happening in housing markets across the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,091 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

I think the Central Bank Limits were basically doing their job and prices were beginning to hit those limits in 2019.

Then the Pandemic and specifically lockdown happened. People weren't going on holidays, they weren't going out to restaurants, they weren't commuting and paying for lunch every day. Bottom line is that you had a huge boost in savings all over the country. For the house-buying demographic this meant bigger deposits, which in turn meant bigger mortgages. You also had a lot of people who were stuck in apartments with small children who suddenly realised the value of having a garden. The upshot of all this was a shot of adrenaline straight into the housing market.

Now you have a different dynamic taking hold. People's lives are, in many cases, back to the way they were in 2019 - with all the implied additional spending. Yes many people have had wage increases but in a lot of cases these have not matched inflation. This reduces people's abilities to save and in some cases people are actively eating into their savings. So in CB rules terms, your wage multiple may have gone up but you still need to get that deposit together. At the same time we have increases in interest rates with many more being telegraphed by the ECB in the near future.

The next couple of years should be very interesting.

The State should also not be subsidising rents. That exacerbates the problem rather than helping

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

I thought thats what the state was for. To exacerbate problems....

Fairy tale alternative reality stuff there.

What do you expect people who cannot afford rent to do?

You cannot stop subsidising rents until these people have somewhere else to go, and there is nowhere else for them to go.

Another lovely example is the HTB scheme which "helps" people buy, by pushing up prices. Great help.

Watching this unravel is going to be fun.

I dont know why you expected the covid response to put downward pressure on the market. Money flooded into the system and rates were as low as ever.

Hard to not sound condescending, but you dont understand how markets work.

Paschal's line re REITS is we need REITS to finance our building. Why is this the case, how did we ever get this far before we ever had REITS to finance building? He says it like we should be grateful that they're building all these properties. Even though after building they're then extracting high-rents out of the economy.

The argument I guess is that REITs don’t have family members who suddenly want to ‘move in’ to the house, or it’s going to be ‘sold’ or ‘renovated’. They just want people in long term. Tenants can genuinely make a home if renting from a REIT, whereas you could get a call from a private landlord literally any day with the bad news.

the problem is the rents, and lack of regulation, not the concept

I am not sure you understand what the point of HTB is. The purpose was:

1. Increase prices to make building more profitable for developers, to incentivise greater output
    2. Make getting deposit together easier for buyers.

People now running around screaming that HTB is pushing prices up is bizarre. Of course it pushed prices up, that was the point.

The two objectives are not mutually exclusive, both were achieved. Yes, buyers will pay more for a house, but they'll buy it sooner and need to put less (a lot less) of their own money in at the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭wassie

Some key points from the "An overview of the Help to Buy Scheme from 2016-2021" published by the Parliamentary Budget Office a couple of months back.

• The scheme is estimated to have cost €168m more than forecast from 2017 until 2021.
    • At least a third of recipients did not need HTB support to reach the 10% deposit requirement.
    • Increasing purchasing power for households, while housing supply is constrained, will very likely lead to higher house prices.

HTB is just another poorly structured demand side policy response by the Govt distorting the market, thanks to a very strong lobbying by builders & developers.

REITs don’t have family members who suddenly want to ‘move in’ to the house, or it’s going to be ‘sold’ or ‘renovated’.

Why like the REITS are you stuck in the rental model? What's the problem with building houses for the citizens of the nation to buy?

• Advertisement

Lol, in a sea of silly comments, this one is the winner.

This geniuses solution to the property affordability crisis......MAKE PRICES HIGHER. Did you think to consider why houses sell for a fraction in other Countries?

And, government at the time were adamant that these schemes would not drive up prices. I love it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement