Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

Thanks. Is it ok to format my USB stick to NTFS and then add my games to it from my laptop because Fat32 won't let me save files over 4gb to the stick? Will the deck let me copy games from a USB stick that is NTFS? Sorry for all the questions. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I can't recall what mine was formatted to - I assume that it was Mac OS Journaled. Linux has no issues reading that and it didn't have the 4gb limit that FAT does. From a quick google, NTFS seems like it should work fine.

Another friend of mine reserved a 256 gb version yesterday and is already up to 95% on getmydeck. Might even get the order email on Thursday at that rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Can I ask how you got BotW running, I thought I had everything in place but when I load up the game it tells me the Wii-U needs a software update

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Any idea how long it takes to ship to Ireland once ordered. Ordered mine yesterday evening just wondering how long delivery takes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Once it ships, it'll probably take somewhere between a week and ten days to arrive. Don't worry if you don't get tracking updates for a few days as it travels from Holland to Ireland.

That reminds me, I should update the first post of the thread with a few FAQs based on other posters' experiences :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Just purchased mine, only pre ordered a few weeks ago, 256gb version. Alas its a gift from the Mrs to me so a wait for Dec 25th is required. Still looking forward to building my library of games with the pre christmas sales

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭feargantae

Lads might be a stupid question but I'm assuming we're classed as UK because of our plug and not EU?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

That's what I got when I googled it anyway. I've been checking per UK orders in getmydeck which seems to be marginally behind EU orders

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

Mine took 5 working days from placing the order to delivery, note there will be no movement over the weekend ,I ordered Thursday evening, arrived next Thursday at lunchtime.

• Advertisement

Great I ordered mine yesterday so might get it Monday / Tuesday if lucky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Yup, at least in steam deck term we are part of the UK 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I paid for mine on the night of Monday 19th. GLS tracker updated this evening that it's in Ireland, so hopefully delivered tomorrow maybe?

Would recommend those of you ordering the deck to pickup an SD card ASAP as regardless of 256GB or 512GB you will fill it up in a day or 2 just to get a feel for what games you would enjoy playing from a handheld.

The 512GB cards are quite cheap, differences are:

A1 slower installs as write speed is low, game loading is similar to internal loading.

A2 better installation times as write speed is higher, game loading similar to internal storage.

I picked up 2 512GB SD cards an A1 for emulation and an A2 for large games.

Amazon had a Sandisk 512GB for sale for E40 a few days ago. Delighted to order at that price but on the day it was supposed to arrive I got an email saying my new delivery date is 15th of November! I cancelled but it has come back into stock (at E80). Probably shouldn't have cancelled and it would have arrived well before the 15th of November for E40. I'll keep an eye out to see does it drop again.

I ordered one of those ( it was mentioned on boards I think ) came within the week even though the date was November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

What's the max storage of SD card you can get that will be compatible?

Ignore the delivery date, I had the same for SanDisk 512GB A1, delivery date in November, got it unexpectedly within 4 days of ordering.

The maximum is down to PC chipset, the deck will support 8/16 TB or whatever new max. The problem in Europe is that the prices of 1TB+ SD cards is absolutely insane vs prices in the US and vs 512GB SD cards.

Do not buy cheaper SD cards on Amazon with a low review score they're cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Mine got delivered there this morning. Unfortunately flat out today so won't get to really look it til later, just charging it up now so it's good to go.

• Advertisement

Don't recall anything special. Installed CEMU via EmuDeck, then downloaded BotW (three folders - Game, DLC, and Patches) - then installed them via CEMU. I don't recall any firmware requirement.

Yea I followed all the emudeck steps but it just doesn't work for me unfortunately. When you say you installed them via cemu, does that mean you loaded the app up separately from Steam Rom manager?

Yes, I loaded the folder with all the files, and I had to go to CEMU in Desktop mode, and install from that folder first, then it worked properly.

OK I will give that a go, thanks. Rest of the Wii-U games worked fine straight from the ROM manager (after I found a txt file with the keys).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

ok so question to those who have multiple platforms

I have a switch, ps5 and a xbox series x. Realistically the switch hasnt been played since jan/feb when I picked up metroid dread. The PS5 hasnt been turned on since stray ( which lasted two days) prior to that I messed about with it in dribs and drabs. The series X is pretty much non stop throughout the week and for all gaming needs.

I am considering getting rid of the PS5 after God of War to pick up a Steam Deck, Good idea or not worth it in the long run? what do people who have multi platforms think?

In my mind it would be handy as a gamepass add on, can be used as an emulator and pick up some great indies on the cheap where as the PS5 is gathering a tonne of dust

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

That's pretty much my set-up. I have Series X and a Steam Deck and with Game Pass cloud streaming I switch between the two all the time. Am currently playing Like a Dragon and Dragon Quest IX that way - play on the Xbox and then pick up from the exact same point later on the Steam Deck.

Haven't really been missing Playstation games either because they all run so well on the Steam Deck - God of War, Horizon, Uncharted, Spiderman, they all play brilliantly on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Definitely no need for anyone to have two next-gen consoles at the moment if one's gathering dust. That might change as the next gen (slowly) gathers speed, but for now a Steam Deck is a very sensible second device.

Once you have something that plays stuff well on your primary display or TV, the Steam Deck fills in the rest of the space perfectly. It does full short of a desktop PC, but given PCs are so bloody expensive at the moment that's not a major consideration unless you really need a powerful PC for your particular gaming interests. If it's just indies and emulators, that's pretty much where SD excels, with rock solid handheld versions of most last-gen tier AAA games to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Man, I was hoping with fixed hardware and a custom OS that this would be a step towards PC gaming finally getting close to console gaming for user experience and ease of use but nope, it's as painful and clunky as ever. First game I tried was Wildermyth, which is listed as compatible, but ran at a resolution that meant you could only see the top corner of the screen and not enough to interact with any buttons to change settings like resolution. Found a solution online that involved manually editing some config files but honestly we should have been past that 20 years ago, I can't believe it was still the first thing I had to do on a brand new fixed hardware machine.

Next thing on my list was to start setting up some emulators, Emudeck installed easily but copying any roms over is a total pain as the deck requires the SD card to be formatted in a different file system to Windows and you can't just copy things in any kind of sane way such as plugging the device into the PC by USB like you would with a phone, instead you need to again jump through a million hoops and awkwardly type in a bunch of terminal commands using an on screen keyboard to try and set up file sharing, I've given up on that as I'm not in the mood. I was going to switch from playing Chrono Trigger on my little Anbernic device to the Steam Deck but I think I'll just stick with the little €50 chinese device that was much easier to set up and use.

Such a painful first experience, they still have a long long way to go to catch up with consoles. The hardware is nice, it feels good in the hands, but ugh, every few years I try to get back into PC gaming and I'm instantly reminded of how much everything around it sucks and just want to go back to my Switch or PS5 for a superior experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Finding it increasingly hard to justify my PS5. Hope to have deck in next couple weeks. PS5 gets turned on maybe once a month and I anticipate less use once I get the Steam Deck. There's only a smathering of PS5 exclusives I care about and I'm allergic to paying 80 euro for any game so by the time I get to buy any of them they'll probably be on PC.

Edit - this was supposed to be a reply to @johnny_ultimate comment but I quoted wrong comment.

• Advertisement

WTAF! Honestly stick with consoles PC gaming will never be for you!

Advertisement