Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Given how many streaming options there are how and how many of them are pretty trigger happy when it comes to cancellations it probably would be a good thing if people started canceling when they're not using it for things they actually want to watch. It feels like a lot of people have Netflix as standard now and use it like we used to use basic TV, as in flick around until you find something to kill an hour in the evening. Which is fine, but when they're basing their content on algorithms and what not, they're just going to keep turning out more of the same, whether we're hate watching, putting something on in the background, or genuinely enjoying something, it's all the same to them.

I'm waiting for S2 of Warrior Nun at the moment and that's about it. I'm considering taking a break from it for a while too. There's enough on Apple and Disney + at the moment that could probably keep me going over the winter for the same price.

Edit - even their higher profile Oscar films this year aren't that appealing to me. I'll obviously watch Blonde this week, and then My Father's Dragon (from Cartoon Saloon), and All Quiet On The Western Front is getting very good reviews, but other than that, they're not much to get excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I cancelled my Netflix subscription last week because it's over priced now. I have Amazon Prime as buy a bit from them as well. I've subscribed to Disney because my son wanted access to marvel and star wars and I've got Now Entertainment and Movies on special offer for the next couple of months.

Netflix will need to amend their pricing model significantly for me to come back to them. They seem to have thought that their price could only go upwards, which is crazy given the choice out there now.

Their pricing never bothered me because I thought a couple of great series a year, and a couple of films a month, was still good value. Since every studio and their mother launched their own streaming services though, Netflix have been left with mostly their own in house films, and their series have become 40% fantasy, 40% true crime, and 9% reality TV, I'm just watching less and less of it. I've gone from Netflix being the one constant to thinking about just getting it for a month here and there to catch up on a few series. I assume a lot of people are doing this if they're seriously considering switching to one episode a week releases for their series.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

A Trip to Infinity (2022) Eminent mathematicians, particle physicists and cosmologists dive into infinity and its mind-bending implications for the universe

My Little Pony: Make Your Mark Chapter 2 (2022) Welcome back to Equestria, where pony magic is everywhere. With friends Zipp, Sunny, Izzy, Pipp and Hitch leading the way, adventure is sure to follow!

Added

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

For me Netflix has gone from "more stuff I want to watch than I have time for" to "just about enough on a month-to-month basis to justify keeping it" which is fine (though not their stupid "the basic package is only SD, and the price almost doubles if you want HD").

Having said that, while I don't care for their films (their own productions have been over-budgeted junk for the most part), series like The Sandman and 1899 (the new one from the creators of Dark) along with some of their Halloween lineup have me actually anticipating new releases.

Hopefully they will improve their focus on quality rather than quantity soon, but I don't think it's necessarily a done deal...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

So Athena. I'm mixed on it overall, but I can't deny it's worth watching for its impeccably staged, incendiary opening sequence alone: quite the filmmaking feat, immersing you immediately in the combustible drama. There are a few other moments scattered throughout that similarly capture a sense of chaos and danger.

The rest of the film I'm not so sure about. It's certainly tense, but it feels like it's taking very real social inequality issues and turning them into action thriller fare with very little to say in the process. It's co-written by Ladj Ly, who directed Les Miserables (this one, not that other one :P) a few years ago - a broadly similar film which IMO does a better job balancing out its tense central drama with more thorough context and societal awareness. Les Miserables isn't without its own flaws and is far less technically showy than this, but overall it comes across as the more engaged and ultimately rewarding film of the two. It doesn’t help that a fumbled last minute attempt in Athena to add in some extra political context doesn’t work.

But yes, while the film itself doesn't match that extraordinary opening, it's still very much worth a look purely to see how the whole thing is staged. If only that level of technical care and fluency translated into a film with something more substantial to say about the communities and tensions it's portraying.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,129 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 32,609 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

I just watched Pieces of a Woman and I'm not the better for it.

Absolutely heartbreaking, haven't cried like that since Manchester by the Sea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Barbaric Genius - purely stumbled on this, inrtiguing profile of a man with a sad history who made it as a writer briefly before losing it all again. I read what i thought was his only book a few years ago, The Green Arena by John Healy. The documentary is probably a niche interest view but i'm glad i watched it..

• Advertisement

Nick Kroll: Little Big Boy (2022) Nick Kroll shares his comedian origin story, his first heartbreak, his strange hypnosis experience and the trash-talking celebrity voice in his head.

Minions & More Volume 1 (2022) This collection of Minions shorts from the "Despicable Me" franchise includes mini-movies like "Training Wheels," "Puppy" and "Yellow Is the New Black.

Guidance (2009) (Swedish) After consulting a therapist, a wife convinces her husband to seek treatment for depression at an unconventional facility in the countryside.

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

6 episodes into Dahmer and it is absolutely fantastic, I'm vaguely familiar with the case through other shows and documentaries but avoiding googling anything about him and the men involved until I'm finished watching this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭jj880

Episode 6 is the best episode Ive seen in any series in a long time. Been thinking about it ever since watching yesterday. A masterpiece really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Finished Dahmer yesterday. Very disturbing but so compelling to watch. Was very powerful.

Thanks to a recommendation on here I've been watching Superbro. Some of the funniest comedy I've seen in a long time. Had to stop watching it on the bus because I was laughing out loud like a loon 😂

Also watched Fortune Teller: A TV Scam. Was a mad story but very difficult to follow. It is in Italian, which is fine, but it jumped all over the place so got confusing. But it's mad to think how much money they scammed!

Have to say the algorithm is getting on my nerves recently. I mentioned before I watched a fantastic Korean show called Extraordinary Attorney Woo. Ever since then I'm getting recommended piles and piles of Korean shows. Wish I could filter that out!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Netflix really needs to work on a filter system. I'd love to hide stuff I've already watched or would never watch

It was a completely unexpected style of episode, for me anyway. But I agree, a fantastic episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Odelay

I have watched Dahmer. I do not recommend it. Depressing stuff. Just sick. Don't go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭jj880

Maybe true crime isn't for you. There are many sicker shows on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,211 ✭✭✭✭km79

Cobra Kai has lost the run of itself ……

Did you expect a romcom before you started it?

Finished it earlier this morning, a fantastic series although I was slightly disappointed to read how much they varied from the truth with certain people (Tony and Glenda mainly).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭robwen

Trailer for My Father's Dragon, the new film from Cartoon Saloon. I assume it will get some kind of limited cinema release too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Have watched 7 episodes, agreed 6 was fantastic. But I think the best episode of tv I ever see was the last episode of season 2 of American Horror Story (Asylum). Or maybe even the episode of Vikings in season 1 when they went to retreat or in later season when Ragnar was dropped from the snake pit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

YouTube link with proper aspect ratio and better encoding! Weirdly disappointed there are no Irish voices to be heard, but I guess that was the price for a larger potential audience.

It's based on a book so I don't know if that had something to do with the casting. Chris O'Dowd is listed in the cast, but I'm assuming it's not a very big part.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Thought he might even be that crocodile pulling my leg character. Hard to tell from one line though.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Cartoon Saloon confirmed on twitter that there will be a limited cinema release, details of which will be announced soon. I know the cinema release is only to qualify it for the Oscars but I'm hoping it gets a decent run here like Wolfwalkers did.

Blonde (2022) This fictional portrait of Marilyn Monroe boldly reimagines the tumultuous private life of the Hollywood legend -- and the price she paid for fame

Eat the Rich: The GameStop Saga Limited Series (2022) A community of amateur traders enacts a daring plan to get rich quick and wreak havoc on the stock market. But can they beat Wall Street at its own game?..

Inside the World's Toughest Prisons season 6 (2022) Investigative journalists become voluntary inmates in the world's most volatile prisons, where intimidation and brutality rule

Added

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Was coming here to post this. Yeah,pity about the lack of Irish voices but yeah, international appeal I suppose. Although I remember that they did two different English dubs of Ghibli's version of Arrietty. A REALLY annoying American dub - Very screechy and OTT (Some squeeky kids from TV, Will Arnet as her father, Amy Phoeler as mother etc). And a much more subdued European English dub (Saoirse Ronan as Arrietty, Tom Holand, Mark Strong, Olivia Colman). VASTLY superior. I wanna hear Brendan Gleeson as a gorilla :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭winstonia

I was getting some flashbacks of La Haine when watching Athena however the story nowhere as good. Decent bits overall but lacking something.

Opening was amazing.

Advertisement