Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Similar grumblings heard in France, Greece, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Holland and it had a big part to play in the UK Brexit. As Usual Ireland comes late to the party. It came late to multiculturalism and it'll come late to asking questions of it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

Most of those countries have at least some sort of right leaning political organisations for people to turn to, we have absolutely none and we will pay dearly for that in the coming years. Politics desperately needs balance in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

And what did RTE morning Ireland concentrate on this morning?

Oh yeah, the evils of Italian fascists without once wondering why the flying fook more and more people voting for right wing parties across Europe.

The interviewee even disparagingly referenced how they aimed to target traditional Italian families as if that was something to be despised.

Oh and because they reference Italian Pride they most probably want to roll back the years and invade Abyssinia.

When will the modern lefties cop to fook on and see the writing on the wall?

When will the former left and centrist parties in Europe start going back to looking after their own people first and foremost.

I am not allowed discuss …

It's calling their bluff. A TRUE asylum seeker, in genuine fear for their lives, would have no issue being held offshore while their claims are assessed. The only ones who would object are the a la carte asylum seekers looking for the easiest, softest targets for getting to live in Europe.

The thing is, the immigrants who are here will never leave. The genie is out of the bottle on that one. No politician on the right is calling for the deportation of immigrants. Instead people just want controls on FUTURE illegal migrants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,992 ✭✭✭conorhal

My single biggest frustration with this banana republic has got to be the fact that, with 20yrs of hindsight regards the problems faced by our neighbours, we insist on repeating exactly the same mistakes that they have a decade or two after they made them yet somehow expecting different results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I didn’t hear the segment, but I am familiar with how many journalists portray shifts to the right. Blaming the electorate and calling them racists (al la Brexit and Trump).

For most people once they a stable job/career, home, feel safe where they live, have access to quality healthcare and their children have access to good education and they feel there are opportunities for their children in life they are pretty relaxed and happy to go with the status quo. If there is a shift against the status quo then questions should be asked otherwise you can’t fix issues that society faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Miadhc

But unfortunately kosher nationalists are getting power. Anyone in bed with Israel won't make any massive changes. I hope to be wrong. We will see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I don't see the relevance? Outside of foreign policies, how does an allegiance to Israel effect domestic polices?

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Cordell

I don't get what you're trying to say, it looks like some some thinly veiled antisemitism, so maybe can you be more precise?

• Advertisement

Don't start coming a long with ism accusations.

Israel supports multiculturalism in Europe but not their own homeland where you need to have Jewish family to emigrate there.

Look at the anti Muslim characters in Europe like Tommy Robinson, Geert Wilders, all funded by Israel to blame muslims and keep people distracted and not look at the main culprits.

Study the migrant NGOs in Europe, look at who's involved look at where they get large chunk of their money. It's not anti Semitic to point these things out.

Israel would never support a proper right wing nationalist government in European countries.

Post edited by Miadhc on

I'm not gonna start dropping in links because no doubt someone will get offended..

Look into Barbara Lerner Spectre, Maurice Samuel and the origins of the Bolsheviks.

Also I see a lot of people going against "trans" people today. Look into Magnus Hirschfeld.

Edit: not trying to go off topic. If people wish to research this in their own time they can. Will happily discuss through PM.

That's what I thought, thanks for trying.

No problem. Do keep us updated on Sweden and Italy and their lack of any meaningful change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭satguy

My answer to the OP is = I really think its great, we are all enriched and are mostly happy with this Multiculturalism ....

Everyone is at the beginning, when the costs involved are low, and there's little actual friction due to populations being divided among many different minority groups.

However, all you have to do is look at the "multicultural" nations of the world to see that extended periods within a multicultural society (in the modern sense) leads to dramatically increased costs, and societal problems, often not related directly to the immigrants themselves, but the bodies and ideologies that spring up around them, either to support or represent them.

The US is screwed. A large part of that is their historical racism, and elitism, but the spread of university led social movements have greatly contributed to the divided nature of their societies. All the European nations who previously supported multiculturalism, are now turning to conservative/right wing political groups, and/or tightening the laws and regulations over immigration and citizenship. In fact, apart from Ireland, I can't think of any nation currently pushing the perception that multiculturalism is a good thing, while backing it up with their own State policies.

As for being enriched, that's mostly rubbish and you know it. You might have more access to foreign restaurants or there's an "asian" shop down the road, but the actual interactions between Irish people and foreign groups is rather limited. A large part of that is the after effects of covid, but there's societal reasons too, in addition to the foreign cultures own interests not to mingle beyond the most superficial of ways.

apart from the skyscrapers, the roads , the railways , the tunnels , the food , name one thing immigration has done for America ?

increased poverty, homelessness, expanded ghettoization, domestic and child abuse, gang culture, interracial/intercultural violence/crime, drug usage and consequently spread of disease...

Two can play at that game.

And no I'm not "blaming" immigrants for all of that although they remain highly represented in all of it.

Oh, and it's quite possible considering the resources represented in the US, the original settlers and Imperial plantations (without further immigration) could have done all the things you mentioned. Immigration just accelerated the process dramatically.

Yes let's ask the native Americans what they think about mass immigration from incompatible cultures. If we can still find any.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

...in a nation which by very definition was founded and relied upon colonisation and immigration. Though if you look at the stats the main period of inward migration was when they were pushing "manifest destiny" to fill up the west. Much of the "skyscrapers, the roads , the railways , the tunnels , the food" came after that. Save for the railways where Chinese and Irish workers were little more than slaves, though at least the Irish navvies had rights.

That Golden Age of their "best generation", roughly from the 30's to the 70's, immigration was falling notably.

In any event America is really not a good example at all of "diversity". Her African American population, once actually enslaved, have continued to be massively over-represented in all the bad stats, from poverty, through crime, to health and took little part in her Golden Ages. It's hardly a shock that BLM started there. Again every single demographic pattern we see in every single "multicultural" country has played out there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

In any event America is really not a good example at all of "diversity". Her African American population, once actually enslaved, have continued to be massively over-represented in all the bad stats, from poverty, through crime, to health and took little part in her Golden Ages. It's hardly a shock that BLM started there. Again every single demographic pattern we see in every single "multicultural" country has played out there.

I'd say that the US is a bad example for more than just the African American angle. That one is obvious and has been well represented throughout my lifetime, getting a lot of airtime. But it's worth looking at how the Hispanic population have "integrated" and been treated. Or the black community who aren't African American, but coming from other parts of the world. And while people might want to focus on the racism coming from White people, it's worth consider the range of interracial violence between Hispanics, Asians, and Black gangs, with a lot of the violence being based entirely on racism. I've always found it interesting the way other cultures get a free pass on their racism, but honestly, I've heard/seen more racist nonsense from Black people towards Asians, and vice versa, than any other group.. although I suppose that would be different if I spent more time in the US.

The truth is that the US failed badly when it came to multiculturalism... and TBH I'm still waiting to see any examples of a success. Way back I asked this same question, with Sweden being held up as their example, but... yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭batman_oh

I think one of the best examples I've seen recently of how only white people are racist was after our Saint George was killed and there were white people locked into a Spar to protect them from black people screaming 'Die you white ba..stards' and other lovely stuff. Not racist apparently. Can you imagine the narrative being rammed down our throats if that happened the other way around.

It's a disgrace that they still couldn't find the decency and the balls to clear the garda involved in the shooting.

The powers that be know what the consequences will be when they finally do make it public that he has been cleared.

Yes we will have some more BLM hysteria, we've seen worse before.

Great providing more funding to process IPAT applications faster but we all know McEntee has no intention of not granting leave to remain to every chancer who hasn't proved their case for asylum.

"There have been about 10,000 applications for international protection in Ireland so far this year, compared with 3,000-4,000 in previous years. This is on top of the 50,000 Ukrainian refugees currently staying in Ireland. It is estimated, based on current trends, another 10,000 will arrive from Ukraine before the end of the year.

“In terms of the international protection numbers, I do believe that this is probably a more permanent change,” Ms McEntee said. She noted that countries across Europe were seeing similar increases.

“I think it’s just a representation of the changing environment, a changing world and many global challenges that people are facing, including climate and war. So we need to be able to respond.”

"The Minister was speaking on Wednesday following the announcement in the budget of an additional €18 million in funding to speed up the process of applying for refugee status and “to reduce the risk of people remaining in the system for long periods with uncertainty about their status”.

This funding would go towards expanding the number of people processing with international protection applications, she said."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭EOQRTL

The rest of the world is rapidly turning it's back on the multiculturalism scam and FG know it hence why they are so anxious. They have a huge number to hit for their Ireland 2030 targets and to hell with the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Whatever peoples views on multiculturalism no one can deny that the increase is massive.

Id wage a bet most primary school classes have more non Irish pupils than Irish now.

Where it all end who knows.

• Advertisement

As usual Ireland is a generational step behind. We came late to multiculturalism and we'll come late to the pushback against it and then it'll be too late. I would argue it already is and started on the back of the economic boom and birthright passports in the late 90's. So we'll be like every other multicultural nation in Europe(and the West) following the exact same social issues as everyone else.

I asked this many times and have yet to get much if any answer, save for Look at America!(where I'm not sure people aren't having a laugh): name one "multicultural" nation in the West where the exact same issues don't present themselves in near identical fashion. Well there isn't an answer, because there quite simply isn't one. Odd, when this sociopolitic experiment is considered so right and such a positive. You'd think its supporters could point to an example where it works and the same issues don't come up time and time again?

Advertisement