Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

I agree with your statement up until the end, "Kenny isn’t the only good young manager that will do a job for a half a million a year"

I wouldn't call Stephen Kenny good or young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Other than the U21s we'll have to scout around for possible Irish eligible players and see is there any midfielders out there.

Should also look for Irish eligible fullbacks because it's a position of concern with limited options.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭jacool

One minute you say its about the result. Read back through this thread, you said it more than once.

When they get a result, its now about the style!

Thanks for giving me a laugh, because I needed it. Have you any more jokes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,177 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Parrott needed to come off quicker in both games.

We could really do with an older head in midfield for later in games like this. Just to keep everyone going at 2 up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I think Kenny has to stay. But its going to be a nightmare. Zero progress on consistently putting together results and performances. He has the game management of a picnic table. Its appaling that ogbene sits on the bench. Hourihane is put on. Hendrick is left on. Manning untried is left sitting at home in swansea. Shape totally wrong. We needed to commit more forward from early to try and score. He is way to rigid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Definitely agree with Manning being the correct addition to the squad at very least. A much better defender than Brady and McClean, and decent in attack too. Has a good understanding with Obafemi at club level as well, which is no harm.

I'd still lean towards Doherty on the right - as long as he can start getting some time at Spurs. Have to keep in mind for this window that he's not played for months. If Conte keeps to his word and does bring him back into the fold after this international break, then he should stay a viable option. Elsewhere, I really hope Ebosele can kick on... has all the tools to be a great wing back, but just needs to continue progressing. Would worry he won't see much time in Italy though. With a it of luck might get a loan to the championship (or even Serie B) in January.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It's not about the performances, it's all about the results.

Until it's not about the results, and then it's all about the performances.

Some people need to make up their minds.

Everybody can see Kenny needs to figure something out when playing against weaker sides. However, those two goals are firmly on the players. You can say 'Kenny picks them hur dur' but name me one other occasion when Hourihane has made an absolute howler like that one? Going by the logic of some here, players can't be blamed for anything.

Also, if we're blaming Kenny for Hourihane, then we should blame him for Bazunu as well. He needed to get a stronger hand on that.

That's a game where I'd describe it as 'job done, now lets forget it ever happened', but Kenny needs to do better against these sides, that much is absolutely clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Parrott is a another worry. Was hoping he might bag at least one tonight to get himself going again but was utterly ineffective. Seems to be spinning his wheels at club level as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

I really cant see Doherty getting game time at Spurs

• Advertisement

Omobamidele is a CB too. He was awful at full-back for Norwich in the PL.

Stop suggesting centrebacks as full backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,872 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Who would you go full back? If we are to change from the current system.

Who? Coleman back in? Doherty back there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,288 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Who comes on for Molumby, well we were controlling the game so comfortably that putting Browne in made the most sense. Go to a 2 in the middle if he wanted and put Browne or Knight as the advanced cm.

Molumby needs to sort out his tackling, game management etc. He's so fcukin hot headed. Takes away from anything good he does for us. His loss was the catalyst for us conceding twice. Hourihane has no legs, is ponderous, shirks responsibility and just offers nothing. I'd have Kilkenny (even without club football), Coventry and Smallbone straight into the November squad ahead of him and get them bedded in for the qualifying campaign to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Why do you think results and performances are mutually exclusive?

The last two Ireland games are prime exmaples of different but completely different optics and manner of performance.

Unlucky to lose to Scotland with a pen for the Scots. Ireland played well. Decent opponents away.

Lucky to beat Armenia after an implosion mentally, Ireland showed worrying frailties. Poor opponents at home.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

The result is what matters.

I think the kenny boys will gave to admit that was an shocker from him tonight and his changes and lack of could have cost us the game.

Where was the progress tonight?

Jaysus. When trap and mon put the blame on the players shoulders they were castigated.

Some people want it both ways.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Tony Donoghue.... you've been playing a lot of youger players..... where were the leaders????

Making mistakes and giving the ball away for the goals Tony.

Kenny " An exceptional performance at times".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

"it was an exceptional performance in parts" indeed Stephen, indeed🙄

• Advertisement

You'd be surprised. Emerson Royal is that bad going forward and Doherty was so good for Conte at the end of last season that there's a lot of interest in how Doherty performs.

Nobody says it wasn't a shocker.

However, it was two minutes of absolute madness. Like I've said before, if we were dominated by Armenia I'd be concerned. We completely decimated them and they scored after two shockers. They had one other chance apart from that. How many times did we put ourselves in such a position? A hell of a lot more than that.

It's on Kenny to make sure that doesn't happen again. If it does happen again, then there are serious questions that need to be asked about what he and these players are actually learning.

Kenny " we created lots of chances"

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Everybody can see Kenny needs to figure something out when playing against weaker sides.

& once he's that done he can figure something out for playing the stronger sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

So, just to recap:

• We shouldn't have picked the younger players and denied them the chance to play in the U21s playoff instead of this nothing game.
    • We shouldn't have brought on the older players, we should have kept the younger lads on.
    • Bazunu would have won us the U21s penalty shootout.
    • Bazunu nearly cost us the senior match.
    • At 2-0, we should have brought off some defenders for attackers and gone for even more goals.
    • Our defending was shocking at 2-0, we should have played more sensibly to hold onto the lead.
    • The penalty on Saturday was stonewall, you can't hold your arms out like that in the box, that's always a penalty.
    • That was never a penalty tonight, yes the Armenian defender held his arms out, but how is he meant to avoid handling the ball from that range?
    • There's no point in creating chances if you can't finish them.
    • You can't rely on lucky penalties, you have to be able to create more chances.
    • Saying we performed well in previous games isn't good enough, we need to get results at all costs.
    • A result at all cost isn't good enough, we need to be performing better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Roy could help get Ole in before start of Euros. Clueless Kenny out now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,177 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Can't blame someone for telling Tony to fk off there.

As if any manager will start naming who is and isn't a leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭dmc17

Your recap may be right or wrong given your particular viewpoint and the particular conditions at a given point in time 😃

Maradona said Messi was not a 'leader'.

But seriously, Kenny needs to get smarter in these interviews, because it feeds back to the players.

Kenny could simply have said games and experience bring leadership, as well as attitude etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

That last twenty minutes was an absolute mess and undone what would have been a comfortable win in normal circumstances. The stats show just how dominant we were generally in the game, but two awful goals nearly cost us (and possibly Kenny his job).

I said it early on in Kenny's reign that he needed to move a lot of the older players. In general he has moved on a lot of them but it's astonishing that Hendrick is still starting regularly and Hourihane coming on regularly. Hourihane in particular comes on and it immediately and clearly weakens the team every time, the energy levels drop and he is just so lax in everything he does which was exactly what he done tonight. Hendrick in fairness to him has been better under Kenny but have a look at his "effort" to get back for the first Armenian goal tonight and it shows exactly why he shouldn't be in the team.

There are no more slip ups for Kenny once the Euro qualifiers start. If we're out of convention after a couple of games in the group then he won't see the end of that campaign. It's time to cross the collective fingers and hope against hope that we get a kind draw in a couple of weeks.

Some other quick points:

Parrot was very poor and was rightly taken off. We could really do with Adam Idah getting fit and staying fit to see what he and Obafemi would be like together.

Molumby actually played very well in the first half, made plenty of interceptions and was full of energy as always. But he just seemed like a red card waiting to happen. He should have been off at HT and we were extremely lucky he wasn't shown a second yellow before he was taken off.

I'm amazed Hendrick stayed on for the full 90 minutes. He was so poor and killed the momentum of our attacks so often.

Hourihane should not have gotten near the pitch. Alan Browne has played well for us in the past, something which Hourihane hasn't done. Poor decision by the manager to put Hourihane in ahead of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭McFly85

The one thing I think at least, is that most of us will be on the same page from now!

The Euro campaign was always the one being targeted as the campaign to compete in. A bad campaign there and I think everyone will agree it’s time to move on. I will say that challenging for qualification depends entirely on the group we get, though. If we get Spain and France as our higher seeds there’s no manager on earth I would imagine who would get us to qualify then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We could really do with unearthing another DM from somewhere alright - Cullen is the first and last really, no-one else even comes close in that role. Real shame McCarthy's career has gone the way it has, would be a decent bench option to have available for it if his legs didn't fall apart a few years back. Not playing at all these days, not sure if its through apathy or injury, but it doesn't look like he'll be making a comeback either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,987 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Kenny set the standard when he said the aim was winning the group and promotion.

Instead it was a relegation battle we nearly lost.

That's the reality.

Its happened multiple times under his reign at this stage.

I think he should stay. Id love for him to get us to the Euros but i dont think he has the tactical ability or game managenent to be succesful. He was lucky tonight. We can debate about the penalty all we want but we were very lucky. They were looking for the third and at no point did we feel like they werent able to get it.

I do acknowledge that our depth in midfield is frightening. If molumby or Cullen are missing we struggle. But at no point should Conor Hourihane be brought on and played that deep. You change the shape.

I think Kenny is a good guy. A man who wants to do his best but everything about him is so uncovincing. He now has a window to go to England and try to identify players who might qualify. Not his fault if there is nothing available but look its worth a shot.

Damien Delaney 'Flabbergasted' after the 3-2 win v Armenia.

The fella seems genuinely annoyed, with what happened. And he normally seems like an easygoing sort of fella.

• Advertisement

On a different note does anyone know if Lewis John O'Brien at notts forrest is elgibile? Worth a phone call anyway.

Sammy smodzics might have to be looked at lads. Jaysus its poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Dennis Cirkin of Sunderland remains eligible. He's play predominantly as a left-hand centre back of a back 3 but can also play as a fullback/wingback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

How dare he call it out for what it was. The neck of him.

• Advertisement

Damien Delaney has a neck banging on about this when it was one of the worst own goals I'd ever seen - scored by him - which handed Dundalk a LOI title.

Also, notice how he, once again, talks about other managers being able to get Ireland playing football and yet he doesn't put forward any names.

Faux outrage to get an audience. Dunphy-lite.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭The Guru 123

What a post this is, couldn’t sum up the views of most of the whiners better!

Keith Tracy thinks the Armenian fella was pushed and that is why he handballed.

Which probably explains why the Armenians went mental.

Ok, when have we been in a position where we were beating a lower-ranked team comfortably, and then we ended up either drawing, losing or almost drawing/losing that game because of two minutes of absolute madness?

I'm really interested to know when this has happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's never been worse?

I don't think you realise that words mean something and you don't get to keep posting melodramatic meaningless tripe.

Did you enjoy the tension in the stadium tonight?

That 3-2 win over Armenia reminds me lot of the 2-1 win Ireland had against San Marino away in 2007.

Lead on 49th minute after dominating. Late San Marino equaliser after a Henderson Howler.

A very late winner by Stephen Ireland in the 94th plus minute.

It was a win but it did not feel like win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

That penalty was sweet as we dominated that match bar 5 crazy minutes or so and fully deserved to win. That's not to say everything was perfect and we do have problems that Kenny needs to solve regarding the amount of goals we're conceding from shots outside the box and firing Hourihane into the sun. And others that no manager could really solve such as the lack of options at left back/wing back and creativity in midfield.

My favourite part of this post is the fact that some of the people who liked it don't realise it's actually about them.

Ah your moulding a narrative there with all of that.

We have lost to luxembourg who we should be comfortably beating and Armenia. Failed to beat Azerbaijan.

Haha. I think that is a bit unfair to call Delaney 'Dunphy-lite'. Delaney seems sincere in his analysis. Dunphy changed to whatever way the wind was blowing.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement