Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

That's the point. The comparison with America and UK is ridiculous.

Maybe the 500,000 figure includes adults. Shocking anyway. 200,000 children in poverty in this small country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Wow the LUAS, that must really be a help to the people of Cork (not a metre of track even past planning) and Galway.

Bus Connects, in public consultation in Cork still.

You do know that the country exists outside the M50.

Also, Dublin (and the greens) still seem to hate the idea of building up, so forcing more and more people (as they have for 20 years) into a commuter hellscape.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Relax brah

I work hard and make €250K+ in my mid thirties

I grew up in low income family sharing a room with 3 brothers. I was diagnosed with adhd at a young age, failed my leaving cert and struggling during the housing recession on and off social welfare for a few months.

When I hit 23 to apply as a mature student and studied part time (4 nights a week 6-10pm) whilst working 9-5pm the other side of the city.

I paid all my own fees and got nothing handed to me.

My point is, in this welfare state why should people like me be punished? Not every “well off” person was born into wealth - many went out and made something for themselves. Seeing this level of nonsense and pure ignorance really boils my piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Citizens information

November 2022

Double Child Benefit payment

Once-off payment of €200 to people getting the Living Alone Increase

Once-off payment of €400 to people getting the Fuel Allowance

Once-off payment of €500 to people getting the Working Family Payment, Disability Allowance, Invalidity Pension, Blind Pension and carers who qualify for the Carer’s Support Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,417 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The working family payment of €500 is something I completely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,222 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Sinn Féin suddenly very concerned about the "middle income" earners. FFG stole their thunder with all the welfare benefits so they're twisting themselves into knots this evening about the "middle", like they care.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How is the comparison of social welfare or wealth distribution in other countries ridiculous? It’s fair.

So poverty figures where just plucked out of the air.

Poverty levels are not ideal but better than many other countries and even on David McWilliams podcast today it was discussed how the poorest people in Ireland are not as poor as people in counties due tax and wealth redistribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Jesus SF are dreadful, this one on Virgin is a car crash.

Soundbites and bullshit

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

That shinner one on VM1 is talking through her hoop

Party of bullsh1ters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Jeff2

SF woman on VM1 tonight show giving out about people earning over 130k get €850 and people on €35k get €195.

Get rid of the TV licence fee and would save many people more than this budget gave them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,417 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Pearce Doherty wasn't great on Prime Time either. Never rated him, he's a spoofer. Always so negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Pensioner near me over 70 with a house worth 750k. Bought a new car last week for cash. Gets fuel allowance and 12e a week and medical card.

I'm under 40k one income with kids I get 5e and loose my medical card.

I can't afford a new car which is badly needed as the only bus that passes my road stops 4km away in the opposite direction to where I need to go to work which is 7km away.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Every home got the 600 credit. Can’t see where the wealthy got handouts the poor didn’t. The poor also get their fuel allowance.

giving 6k to the poor, well that just might encourage even more to be “poor”. They’d have a fine holiday in Disney World off the back of the working person.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yeah, piss poor research, because compared to most Countries, thats tosh.

No people near the poverty line anywhere have it especially easy, because it is all relative, however its far less catastrophic to be poor in Ireland than say Afghanistan, or even worse, Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Leo’s goal as always was to help the money men and women..

he drove the health services into the ground despite being a doctor…from the end of 2017, to the end of 2021 waiting lists rose under his leadership and promises were not kept..waiting lists for acute hospital scheduled care increased by 20 percent in that timeframe. the government’s own numbers btw. Those people on those waiting lists get up in the morning Leo… just when they fall down or their health does they will for decades recall his BS, helping those who get up in the morning… ??? utter BS. Guy is an absolute scoundrel.

I'd say the poor in Ireland and Britain are pretty much the same. Same issues with costs and addiction issues. Culturally of course Ireland and UK not much different.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Drog79

In fact, although some are doomed to intergenerational poverty, there used to be more social mobility and an ability to do this (similar background).

No fees in the 90s ensured there was no poverty barrier to 3rd level- current payment is a huge sum for the poorest which needs to be removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

I watched the entire budget and as soon as Michael M finished, Pearse was straight up with his ready made printed speech and opening lines of

"This Budget does absolutely nothing!!!!!

I switched off immediately, he is a **** tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Not really. Abject poverty in many cities, the disaster of Universal Credit, far lower social protection payments and State pension. Britain and Ireland are scarcely comparable any longer.

Yes, they do have the NHS, but its f*****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Why didn't monthly child benefit increase? Its the only welfare payment not increasing as far as I can see. I understand there's a double payment which is great but an increase going forward would have been much better? Nice bonus coming up to Christmas though

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Really? You should share that great news with the vast majority of retail staff, hospitality staff, cleaning staff (mostly female, by pure coincidence) who are persistently low wages for their lifetimes.

Parts of the council areas of Dublin have pretty dire conditions with many addiction issues. Over 10,000 living in emergency accommodation here too. Enormous for a small country. Scores roaming the streets of Dublin like Zombies.

Hard to say which is worse. They're both bad.

Ah there were fees back then , I'm assuming from the user name we are from the same town and of similar age. It was about 300 or 500 for DkIT back in the late 90's iirc but you are correct 3k is a significant barrier, but isn't that waved if you qualify for the grant?

I (my parents) fell outside of the means test for the grant back then by around 50 pounds, if reg fee had been 3k back then or maybe even now I'd likely not have gone to college.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,444 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm guessing the argument would be that you're doing quite well now so you can afford to help people in low-income families so they don't have to suffer as you did. But there's always the "I suffered so **** everyone else now that I've made it" approach. Each to their own and vote accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Cosholky

We have a book rental scheme, as many schools do, so the free primary school books doesn’t mean much.

No free GP, costs us €70 a pop.

Don’s use a crèche, so childcare allowances don’t apply.

Too old for free contraception. Too young to have a child in college.

The few quid off the leccy bill is welcome. That’s about all the ‘squeezed middle’ get out of this budget.

Mairéad Farrell is really poor on television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Drog79

And there's the issue, any extra large payment is a barrier for those with little. Perhaps it is waived at the lowest incomes (I didn't know that), but as you mention; 50 euro out for qualifying for some help - mad stuff. I qualified for most grants, very grateful but very little to spare, basically think travel to Dublin consumed most of the grant back then but a large payment didn't gate access to the course. If that payment had been anything significant I couldn't have gone.

I think a recent CSO study showed a significant number of households couldn't afford a surprise expense of 1000 euro or similar.

Advertisement