Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Eir ripoff - charging €12 for a paper bill.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭q2ice

Thats a great initiative from the EU, but similar to GDPR, it has too many loopholes. Banks can require you to give them a written consent to block payments through DD (and by written I mean letter as opposed to email)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Standing orders work when you have a fixed payment amount, but services which vary dependent on usage, for example phone calls, require flexibility as the monthly charge changes depending on the type and number of calls. That is why a DD mandate is used rather than a SO for billing.

Before posting again, perhaps a quick read up on SEPA regulations would benefit you.

After rereading your post, I have to acknowledge your beautiful use of punctuation and logical thought. For that, if nothing else, I commend you.

Perhaps before posting again, you should reread your post where you said that you agreed the amount that would be taken from your account?

Unless you want to go back and change that part.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,577 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

The amount taken from your account depends on usage, and the agreed tariff in your contract. Signing the mandate gives permission for that amount, and that amount alone to be requested from your bank. If you had a SO set up, in those months when usage costs exceed the SO amount, you would be in arrears and possibly penalised for non payment of the total owed.

SO are used where monthly payments are fixed, like gym membership, car insurance, tuition fees, not for services where monthly usage and costs may vary.

• Advertisement

Singing a mandate does NOT mean that its the only amount that can be taken. For instance, if your bill was 40 euro a month but due to an internal error on the other parties software, it took 400, that would be allowed.

Direct Debit doesnt say how much. It just says that you trust the othet party not to take too much

Signing a mandate says ypu trust the other person not to take the piss, there is no set amount.

Edit: If you had an SO setup and your usage went above the amount then of course you would be liable to pay the difference and any surcharges that applu.

It still means that you are in control of the money transfer and not the other party.

The only person who should be able to take money out of my bank account is me (or significant other), not some random party.

That is what the OP is saying. Why should they have to pay for physical copies of a bill when eir put barriers in place to accept a paperless version?

DD should never be a mandate to paperless.

We should take a leaf from Italy where they fined the insurance/banking companies for charging extra for paper copies of bills.

For what its worth, I prefer paperless copies of bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

And then when they next try to present a DD for payment, you click 'Deny' on the notification from you bank, and it isn't paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I was leaving eir, and they said they couldn't stop the DD for the next month (which hadn't gone out yet), and I would need to get it refunded after it paid. I simply rejected the DD when it hit. No need to wait for them to organise a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Yeh so in 20 years of having between 5-10 direct debits monthly in 3 different countries..i have been somehow amazingly lucky enough to not have this happen..wow...nearly 2k dds in that time :) I am sure it can happen as can you be hit by a bus going to the post office.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

For what it's worth, when you remove a DD mandate with your bank the other side shouldn't be able to take payment.

Read here on all the other protections (including the ability to set a cap on what they can take):

https://www.europeanpaymentscouncil.eu/what-we-do/sepa-direct-debit

This is all a massive tangent anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement