Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

No, you said the scenario I painted happened loads of times.

Name me one time where that has happened. I know all about the loss to Luxembourg. That's been done to death.

Now, when have we had 2 minutes of absolute madness which individual errors led to conceding two goals in this reign? Please enlighten me, because thats what I said and you came back in thinking you were smart to say 'loads of times'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Gusser09

He has dropped the standard he set

But its everyone else fault according to some.

He is absolutely beyond criticism or blame.

Ive never seen this before with anyother manager. The man can literally do nothing wrong.

Trap and Mon blamed the players and the were treated like the anti christ for doing it.

Mad stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't think that's fair to say. Ireland dominated the game until the first Armenian goal went in and they lost their shape completely after that. It was a competitive last 25mins.

But yet he's blaming the manager for a player having a shocker, when he has been that player. He wouldn't have let anyone blame the manager for that mistake and yet here he is doing that to stick the boot in.

He's being contrarian because he's saying Kenny isn't good enough and, like many people here, are putting no solutions forward. He said it doesn't have to be Allardyce, it can be another manager who plays football.

Then he proceeds to put forward not one single name. Put forward solutions. Stop ranting. That's literally out of the Dunphy playbook, but Dunphy had 20 times the charisma that Delaney has.

Go away outta that. You know exaclty what i meant. You know well im talking about our inability to comfortably beat poor sides on a consistent basis. At least ill reply to the questions you put to me. You're great at deflecting or ignoring others when you dont have an answer.

Would you ever stop exaggerating.

Kenny has been criticised by me and many others who have been defending him tonight. Complete and utter horsesh*t to suggest that he's beyond criticism.

However, to blame him for two minutes of madness? That's completely unfair and I will fight that corner. It's absolute lunacy to put that on the manager. The players play the game. They take responsibility for their actions. There's a difference between a team that isn't playing for their manager compared to a team that is.

You were banging on the other night about how this is a 'results business'. He got the result. So why are you still complaining?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭kksaints

They had another shot after the two goals that was close and probably within the 5 minutes spell that i mentioned but they didn't do anything else and we were far more likely to get a winner which we did.

One thing I will say is that midfield is an issue if Cullen isn't there. Knight is all energy but he's lacking in quality atm, he's young and will improve but if Molumphy is playing aswell there's a real lack of creativity on the ball. Could really do with a Wes or a fully fit Jack Byrne.

I'll take that you have no other time where we had two minutes of absolute madness like we had tonight then.

I said what I said, and you moved the goalposts. Nobody else. You did that all by yourself.

• Advertisement

His game management was poor tonight. It nearly cost us dearly.

It has cost us results before.

I will ciriticise that and its a fair criticism.

It will happen against weak teams again. There is pattern against weaker team which has emerged concerning his tactics amd decision making.

You clearly weren't at the match if you think this. There was a serious explosion of joy when the final whistle was blown and the atmosphere outside the ground was positive and upbeat.

But he got the result.

It's a results business.

I agree with everything you're saying, but you were here complaining about 'the results' the other night. He got the result, and it's still not good enough for you.

Is it about the performances or is it about the results?

Or, and here's a mad suggestion, is there actually a happy medium between both that you refused to acknowledge earlier this week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Times have changed so. Different mindset, and expectations? I suppose.

But, I can distinctly remember listening to that 2007 San Marino game on a car journey. Roaring when the late goal was scored and cursing saying 'what the f%%k was that?' seconds later.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

His game management and tactics have cost us before and nearly cost us tonight. If he had of beaten luxembourg, armenia and azerbaijan making the same mistakes then it wouldnt be so much an issue. Its the pattern. The fact that if we drew Armenia again you wouldnt bet on him being tactically astute enough to see them off over two games.

I mean hes trying to say we went chasing a third goal and that was nearly our downfall. Thats bonkers stuff really.

We had zero need for 3 centre halfs on the field. Having three didnt make a differ for the 2 goals anyway. Ogbene should have come on for one of them.

Im hoping Kenny is learning and thay he can react and make better decisions going forward.

Ultimately results are what matter as i have said but overall in that context if we fold like that again we might not get as lucky.

My main concern Faugheen is that we end up being all but out of contention in the euro qualifiers after a game or two again. Its a very real worry.

I dont want Stephen to fail. I want him to be a success. But i am seriously concerned that we will spend another campaign playing nothing games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,603 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It is a results business but the manner of the result matters too. That is if you are to try an infer form and progress for the future as so many of Kenny's supporters are claiming is the case.

Scraping a result against minnows at home and avoiding relegation doesn't bode well for the upcoming euros campaign. There is no progress to report, the team is not improving and the performances are wildly inconsistent both between games and within games. It's one step forward and one step backwards. It's a set up that's going absolutely nowhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

It's on Kenny to make sure that doesn't happen again.

But it keeps happening.

This out of his depth manager keeps allowing it to happen, again and again and again.

I didn't see any of the game, knew they were two nil up and thought they would cruise.

But I was stunned that they only won it at the death.

I seriously didn't believe they could get that close to not beating Armenia at home after all that has happened.

But they did.

How anyone can continue to support him as manager I cannot understand.

It over, he needs to go or we are wasting the opportunity to get into a 24 team Euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Well chasing the third goal did cause us problems for the Armenia first goal as our midfield was pushed too high up and allowed their attackers to drive at individual centre backs with the ball which is never a good idea and the midfield couldn't get back in time to recover the ball when it bounced off the post. 2nd goal was a horror show from Hourihane and Bazunu didn't cover himself in glory for it either.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

So it’s not just about the results then.

Got it.

Puts to bed the bollocks you and others were spouting on Saturday when we were unlucky to lose.

Tonight was WAY worse than Saturday. We lost on Saturday but I was happy with the performance, because we gave ourselves chances to at least draw that match. We just didn’t have that slice of luck that we needed.

Tonight? We won but I’m far from happy with that performance. Kenny takes some of the flak for that one because he once again couldn’t sufficiently set up the side to break down a lower-ranked team. The players take the blame for that shambolic two minutes, but we should have been in a position where we were out of sight and we weren’t.

• Advertisement

The problem is that poor results will happen again due to poor tactics and managment. We were a gee hair away from it tonight.

Two things on this:

1- San Marino are one of the worst teams in football, as bad as Armenia are they're nowhere near that level so there are going to be some different levels of reaction to the respective results.

2- People's expectations have changed. We have a much lower level of player these days compared to 2007 and a much less experienced squad so most fans have adjusted their expectations.

And we were a gee hair from beating Scotland on Saturday.

We were a gee hair from beating Portugal.

We were a gee hair from beating Serbia at home, despite being dominated.

You need luck to win matches as well. We were on the right side of it for once tonight.

Just don’t come in here pretending it’s about the results when it’s not. You’re spinning yourself in knots every time Ireland play looking for a criticism despite claiming to be in support of Kenny.

On Saturday the result was the issue despite the good performance. And now tonight the result doesn’t matter a sh*te. You can’t have it both ways.

Are tgere any midfielders that could make an impact straught away?

Is lewis obrien eligible?

Sammy smodzics

Jack Taylor

Coventry

Smallbone

Is conor nob worth a look at?

Louie watson.

Anyone?

Yeh sure.

The pattern is that we lose a lot regardless of the performance which is the main thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭rebelomar

I think Delaney is just rubbed up the wrong way by Kenny.

Delaney came up hard via the LOI and lower leagues in England. The way Kenny speaks about the game, he'd have been run out of town in those lower league dressing rooms I'd imagine.

I would say Delaney thinks Kenny has notions and he himself views the game through the eyes of a grisly battle hardened centre back.

Kenny does make some strange comments in interviews. I think he's not the best public speaker and they're just throw away comments tbh...some people take what everyone says at face value.

I'd say Delaney prefers a manger who comes out talking about the nuts and bolts of the game rather than his philosophy. Neither is a better manager or worse. It's just personal taste.

People take post game interviews much too seriously. The manager usually doesn't want to be there and what he says publicly usually will be different in the dressing room.

Has jonjo kenny been approached i wonder. Playing in the bundesliga for hertha at the moment. We our lack of depth we really need to be looking at the types of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,602 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Bazunu should have done better on the first goal. The initial shot should have been pushed out for a corner or towards the sideline.

Didn't do great for the second either. He should have gotten a stronger hand to it

Also worth pointing out that Delaney played 135 games at PL level up until recently enough.

And we lose mostly against teams we have no divine right to say we should be beating. Portugal, Scotland, Ukraine etc.

You aren’t hoping it works at all. If you were, you wouldn’t be looking for every excuse to stick the boot in.

It’s not 2002. We are where we are. Don’t come on here saying it’s all about the results to dismiss good performances, and then dismiss the result when the performance wasn’t good enough.

Since you ignored it the first time, I’ll say it again, you can’t have it both ways.

If it’s about the results, stop bitching about tonight because we got the result.

Or, admit that it’s not about the results and you were indeed chatting sh*t at the weekend.

• Advertisement

Yes...and he was very good too in the PL. A well deserved period in his carrer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Look it literally doesnt matter what he does.

Dont get a result but a decent performance and its all about performance.

Get a result and dont perform well and its all about results, go full circle on that and point out that the results havent been good enough overall and its back to performance and hes played loads of youngsters.

A player/players plays really well and maybe scores a good goal and its all about Stephen Kenny has him playing like that, havent seen Irish players playing like that in donkeys years

A player/players doesnt play well and makes mistakes and its well ye cant blame the manager for a player not playing well and making mistakes thats on the player, (ie cant blame Kenny for 2 minutes of madness but all on Kenny when theyre brilliant)

Dont think Kenny is up to the job and you must want Big Sam because it always reverts to Big Sam, no one else, couldnt possibly be anyone else.

I mean we have some of our more prominent Media analysts literally giving him a free pass before they play a team like Armenia, like they are literally saying "it doesnt matter what happens"

Its Trumpesque in all honesty!!!

No id fully agree its poor. Slim pickings. Hopefully Smallbone can push on at Stoke and develop. The midfield options are poor. We ended up with two league 1 players on the field last night.

But people who are unwavering in their support for Kenny are equally looking for it both ways.

They were willing to emphasize the performance aspect of Scotland but are only interested in the result aspect of last night.

And if we have no devine right to be beating Scotland, Ukraine or Portugal, after two years we should at least have the right to be dispatching the likes of Armenia without such drama as last night.

You've some serious problems coming onto an internet forum carrying on like that. The results and performances arent binary when taken together.

Ive already said that the results havent been good enough up until now and they are the most important thing. We avoided relegation last night which was the most important thing. Going forward performing like that we wont be giing to the euros. We wont get out of jail like that again.

They are fair and accurate points. But you want to hammer lads who point out that results are important amd we'd take them over performing well.

Believe me id rather we won that game last night than performed well which we did.

The performance is all that matters to you so shut your mouth about results side of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

That's not true at all. I don't think I've seen anyone who is only interested in the 3 points from last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I called a nervy. 2-0 win for Ireland was set to praise them for solid job done, then they imploded it is not the first time it happened either. But I thought the manager would now be able to at least get his team to see out games.

As for Stephen Kenny in general he is the first manager I can remember since Charlton that his support is cult like. But the major difference is Charlton had to achieve success to achieve cult like support.

Kenny has not achieved anything yet there seems to be a cult created around him. The media have it built up as a sea change in Irish management. And mostly talk up the manger. Any diversion from that and the Kenny fans say the person is out of touch with the fan base.

But the truth is it is not the first time youngsters were blooded and an Irish team was in transition. The level of goodwill from fans and the media normally had a line. Apparently it seems Kenny’s line is infinite?

The really odd dynamic to me is that many those who blindly support the ‘cult of Kenny’ will not even countenance any slight negative evaluation of his tenure or ANY match. It is taken as an almost personal affront. I never saw that before with an Irish manger. The dynamic seems to be if you are not with us you are against us. And a litany of excuses are given for performances ‘positives’ are consistently searched for after a bad result/performance. Negatives are ignored or glossed over.

I can only put that down to a younger generation and a generation which has grown up with social media. I find it baffling that Kenny is given such unwavering support, without anything tangible to back it up for so long.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Heard John Duggan from OTB this morning and sensed that he was not quite as bullish on Stephen Kenny being the Messiah as his previous utterings. He is clearly still a big Kenny fan but there was definitely a bit of a change....

That being said there seems to me to be a real shortage of Kenny supporters on here since last night, compared to the volume of them in the last few days anyway.

They spent the last few days spinning the loss to Scotland only to be presented with that last night.

They can't spin it anymore.

• Advertisement

That’s not true at all. I’m far from happy.

However I’m consistent in that. Those who were talking about getting the results at the weekend are suddenly interested in the performance now that the result didn’t go their way.

It’s boring as f*ck at this stage. They can’t have it both ways. They nailed their colours to the results mast on Saturday when it suited them and now that Kenny got a result with a good bit of luck thrown in there (for once!), suddenly the result doesn’t matter now.

Calling out the inconsistencies doesn’t mean SK is being defended to death. We should be beating Armenia by more than 3-2 at home with the amount of possession we had against them, and we certainly shouldn’t be conceding two goals in the manner we did in 87 seconds.

I can say that and be relieved we won, but Kenny needs to do better against these sides. I think only one person in this thread is denying that last night wasn’t good enough.

However, there are far too many people here who were disappointed when Brady scored that penalty, and they’re the ones that were spouting the ‘it’s a results business’ at the weekend because they haven’t the balls to admit they want this Irish team to lose so SK gets sacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Can people please stop posting updates on what clowns from OTB think? We would listen to OTB if we wanted to know what they thought.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭McFly85

It feels sometimes like some here are arguing against imaginary people.

There is nobody here blindly defending Kenny that I can see. It’s clear the big worry for his team is how he deals with teams that want to play us on the counter. But just because everyone’s not calling for his head doesn’t mean he’s not being judged.

He got a result last night, but he will need to improve his performances against these teams in the Euros. We can’t afford to switch off for a second, or we can see what trouble we get ourselves into.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭square ball

Stephen Kenny is getting leeway because of what he is trying to achieve. He has brought through loads of young players, he is giving us a team that wants to play football. The games are more entertaining.

It was hard to watch Ireland play for the last 10/15 years. Camping in our own box hoping to knick a goal from the odd set piece. It was embarrassing watching the team represent us under Mick and MON for the majority of their reigns. The results were slightly better but not good enough to justify the style of play. It was putting more people off football than anything else, people were watching England games on TV over Ireland games FFS.

The results haven't been good enough and the performances are inconsistent but that's what happens when your main players are young and relatively inexperienced.

Stephen Kenny may not be the man for the job but the fans are fully behind what he is trying to achieve. Short term pain for long term gain hopefully leading to a team we are proud to follow and represent us.

but he will need to improve his performances against these teams in the Euros. We can’t afford to switch off for a second, or we can see what trouble we get ourselves into.

But people have been saying that (i.e we need to improve our performance against these teams) for months now and things are still the same.

At some stage things have to come to a head, we can't keep saying that they have to sort things out when he has been in the job two years and nothing has been sorted out.

There is a Euro draw in a few days, regardless of who we get our chances of qualifing will be slim, but it's a 24 team tournament so almost half of UEFA qualify.

We are wasting any chance we have of qualifing by persisting with this manager and hoping that he learns from previous mistakes and starts getting things right against lower quality teams.

A younger generation?

Would you stop.

Perhaps it's us over 35s who are f*cking sick of mercenaries coming in bashing our player pool and doing the bare minimum while playing absolute dirt Football.

We needed a sea change in at senior management and we got it.

SK is not beyond criticism but don't come in here with your crap telling us how you think it is and that these are invalid positions to hold based on some shíte you've conjured up.

Not a sinner around me last night wants SK to go. I'll take the opinion of the match going cohort over you lot.

• Advertisement

Peoples expectations haven't really changed. It seems we should be battering every team we play

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ramasun

The general prediction at the start of the campaign was that we wouldn't win the group but we wouldn't be relegated either. Job done.

SK could be manager for a very long time if he can manage expectations.

Perhaps they were actually at the match and are working this morning. It's not all about SK in most people's lives.

Don't worry, I'm sure there'll be enough along the rest of the day to challenge your guff.

"The cult of Kenny" ...Jesus wept!

Plenty of criticism of Kenny in the media and everywhere else. I've seen people who are very pro Kenny rightly criticise some of his decisions during his reign like they would with any other manager.

As the poster above mentions. The matchday support are fully behind the team in large numbers. The players are clearly playing for him and each other. I haven't seen such unity around the Irish team in a long time.

The majority of people I speak to are happy with the teams progress and realistic about what our standing is in International football....while still being frustrated with results.

He came into the job to an ageing and poor level squad. The FAI were a joke and finances at rock bottom. He took a very good u21 pool of players and integrated the best of them with some experienced players some of whom are past their best and have moved down to championship level from lower PL level.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement