Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 bed apt: Replace bath or fit shower?

Options
  • 27-09-2022 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭

After 20 years of letting a one bed apt, it's time to sell. Bathroom is pretty dated. I was getting mad quotes, so I will do it myself.

In a house they say keep the bath, but I dont know what to do here.

Bath would be easier to fit, but it has to be 1600mm, so harder to source. I took out a 1700mm one that the builder butchered walls and plaster to fit in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You need a bath if you have young kids.

Is that the target market for your 1 bed apt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thats a good question and the argument for having a bath in a house. I dont think people would buy a one bed apt if they have even one child. Where do parent(s) and child sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

People might be put off by a small bath crowding the bathroom.

People could be enticed by a nice big shower.

An EA might give you a better idea of the type of market looking for your apt.

I don't think 1600mm is a small bath, where 1700 is standard. Maybe 1500 is small but not 1600mm.

The bathroom is not small, outside bath area, it's about 3.7m2.

Most people have showers even where there is a bath. I am leaning to a walk in type shower, but not wet room. Its a bit of work to build a plinth over pipes coming out of ground under bath, but it would give a walk in shower, raised about 20/25mm from main floor.

EA's opinions and views are like solicitors and advice. You get both scenarios, plus and minus, and you have to decide what to do. Well, that's my experience of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭DFB-D

You might be overdoing this...renovating a bathroom yourself won't add too much to the price, maybe if it had the wow factor and rest of the apartment was also amazing. I'm not sure of your skill level, but it is usually easy to spot DIY or a less perfect job, so overall looks OK but definitely not perfect.

If you do this, make it easy, replace like for like just to clean it up a bit.

• Advertisement

Thanks. Like for like makes sense. I am handy with things and would finish things to high standard.

I wish I did not have to do it. It needs some work or it will be a put off for buyers. Not looking for wow or to spend loads on fancy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I would put in a shower without a doubt. If it was feasible I would reconfigure the bathroom to give more space to the adjacent bedroom.

Thanks. Unfortunately, the bedroom and bath are not adjoining rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

I'd put in a bath, especially if there is one there already. It's a big dealbreaker for me, also, anytime I've been renting out, when there's a bath in the property, it's a big seller. It's probably a lot cheaper than installing a tiled shower etc, you can still put in a standard/basic electric shower, over the bath, as I've done in a few of my places.

Thanks, that's good advice on the bath. Electric shower I am not sure of. There is a pump off the water tank / emersion with night rate meter and timer so instant pumped hot water every morning as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I actually ruled out properties that didn't have a bath when I was buying my one bed apartment.

For any kind of injury care, baths are much easier to manage. I always want the option.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thank you.. Good point. Ironically, I had a bit of a knock off my bike recently and getting into a bath would have been difficult. Shower, no problem.

On balance, a bath it is. Shower is practical but a home without a bath is missing something, and therefore not to everyone's liking. An easier fit too.

I may even just put a 1700mm back as you can buy from stock, and almost half the price of a 1600mm (different manuf)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I wouldn't spend any serious money on it, you won't get it back. A good clean, maybe re-silicone and grout if its really bad and off putting.

Whoever buys it can then do what they want to it.

Advertisement