Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

Yeah they have the option to unlock the buffer, I guess I'll find out what happens in 2 years.

All the cells are of equal voltage so I don't think there is any issues, though voltage only tells some of the story, it can also be a case where a naughty cell only reveals itself under load making it harder to diagnose and issue.

I must watch the video. Hopefully the issue isn't very widespread, it would be bad for VW.

Car booked in 17th October for update, Seemingly they'll have an id3 loaner, I'll believe it when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Bif

For those who have got the 2.4 update: Has 2.4 improved your ID3’s efficiency?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The efficiency gain is that it won’t use energy to heat battery on a short journey.

But we won’t know until the overnight temps drop below 8C… we’re not there yet.

Other than that it will be as efficient as it always was.

• Advertisement

It hasn't heated the battery since the last OTA update. I can monitor it.

I've noticed a massive difference to efficiency for shorter trips and in general on my commute.

The battery heater used to always come on to heat the battery to 12 deg C it doesn't any more.

I'm waiting for the option to pre-heat the battery for fast charging and a higher charge curve, I guess I'll be waiting for that.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I dont know how that's possible. The temperatures aren't low enough yet to see the gain. The battery used get heated to 12°C when it was <8°C. The 2.4 update changed that to heat the battery only when it is <0°C.

The temperatures haven't dropped below 8°C yet so you cant see a difference... unless the Tour5 is different in some way.

I've noticed no difference anyway, but I am expecting to see it in the weeks ahead when the temps drop below 8°C.

I noticed it immediately after the last update, even in the height of Summer in Ireland the battery temp can get low enough to activate the heater before the update.

Certainly temps have been low enough this month to activate it too but admittedly I haven't actually monitored the actual battery temp, I must connect up the dongle.

Before the update I saw the battery heater kick in even at 10 Deg C. "battery temp"

What version are you actually on? 2.3 or 2.4?

What version is displayed in settings(091X)? What is the X in your case?

I'm on 2.3 that was the last OTA update, going in for 2.4 17th October.

• Advertisement

Ah that explains it. The question was about 2.4, not 2.3.

I bet your heater is still coming on once the battery drops below 8°C.

When you get 2.4 that will change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

How do you know if the battery is being heated?

Two ways

1) Look at the infotainment screen where it shows your current consumption. If it is showing something like 7-10kW while the car is not moving then you know it is heating the battery. You'll see it very clearly on a cold morning when you start the car up.

2) An OBD dongle that interrogates the cars computer and it shows you the data on your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

I've noticed my range being better mostly, I drove Galway - Limerick, and used to arrive at about 160km ish (starting starting from 80%), now im arriving with 180+, but must admit today was lashing rain the return trip on the motorway, with rain all the way was hard on the range, departed with 275km arrived with 145km (its a 98km journey). I drive D in eco, and cabin was set to 21 C. Im on 2.4 also.

Must admit the range computer at times leaves me nervous, espessicaly with weather conditions.

Could be, the other side of that is that the colder the battery is the slower it will "fast" charge, so hoping for a pre-heat option eventually.

"Must admit the range computer at times leaves me nervous, espessicaly with weather conditions."

Ha ha you know nothing about being "nervous" I used to own an MK1 Leaf 😛 🤣😁

Kinda embarassed to ask this but can someone tell me about the headlights, I've yet to drive my ID during dark winter nights.

So, I have it at auto, and the green lights to either side of auto are my running day & dips? and if I want full beam I tap the left stalk - I see the A (headlamp symbol) blue is its on, and white is its off? There seems to be no way to get of this symbol from the dash once enabled.

I liked being able to step outout and see with my own eyes, but can't in this car.

When set to auto you don't have to worry about the lights any more, they come on and off themselves.

The high beam, yes, when you turn it on and you see "A" it means it's on auto high beam and you have to either push or pull the stalk to turn it off, can't rem and I even did it this morning lol, but "A" will disappear when high beam is on manual.

I usually turn off High beam on the motorway as the car must look ridiculous the way it constantly flashes left, right, makes an area dark, makes an area bright it's ridiculous in my opinion on a busy motorway so I turn it off, in fact I find it rather embarrassing. This needs to improve, while I appreciate the way it lights up the dark areas on a motorway and only darkens the on coming car area it doesn't work well when it's busy as it's constantly moving the beam of light around so I would rather that the auto beam function disables altogether when it's busy, like it does when coming into town because it detects street lights.

Also be sure to go into your light settings and set auto lights to come on early, that way they'll come on when it's overcast during the afternoon or when driving in roads shaded by trees and not just when it's dark at night.

What does the 'bad weather' lighting icon refer to, is it extra light or lights that come on early ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

My car is still showing as Off-line. Off-line in the App aswell.

Apparently according to Battery Life, my vin is one of the cars with the battery module problems. So , I phoned the dealer yesterday and he confirmed, but said that as the master technician was only still being trained on the repair of the problem that it would be December before they could get it in to sort it out. I just want the app to work properly for once.

The bad weather light is the fog light/turning light.

Apparently according to Battery Life, my vin is one of the cars with the battery module problems

What were the VIN numbers he gave?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

He didn't publish the list, (said he's not comfortable doing that),but said that you could email him to enquire if you are on it, so I sent him my vin number to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Welcome to the club… I’m yet to check my VIN (on holidays atm) but I guess it’s there;)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Are you matrix or standard led Jogdish ? they work differently

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

Bad weather light only comes with matrix LED. My bog standard ones only have auto highbeam:)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

The auto high beam only works when the lights themselves are set for auto-

One push forward and the high beams are in auto and full matrix mode, the beam will split around cars ect..

Another push forward and the full beams are on without using the matrix technology.

It does take a bit of getting used to - I was knocking them on and off but now I just leave the full beam on the first push of the stalk - as you near street lights it will knock them off anyway - I’m amazed sometimes that other cars are not blinded, the tech in the matrix is savage - Matrix tipped the balance for the id3 over the niro and Seat Born at the time, neither of which have that capability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Yes they are really impressive technology. They can blind truck drivers at times eg when there is a central barrier on the motorway and they can’t see truck headlights but blind the driver in the cab higher up. but otherwise work really well.

Advertisement