Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

I love a good moan about FF/FG, but this conversation shows what a thankless job it really is. When you simultaneously have some of those on a lower income complaining that the budget doesn't do enough for them and some of those on a higher income complaining it does too much for those on lower incomes it shows the impossible task that is making a budget that everyone is happy with.

My household has come out of this budget better than in any previous ones I can recall with the tax band shift and electricity credit. Though I would've preferred to see more support for the likes of families trying to get by on minimum wage incomes, I understand that it's pretty hard to reduce an already very low tax contribution.

I nearly threw up in my mouth typing this, but I think Paschal has done a great job threading the needle with it. No matter the budget, you'll always have some complaining that it should've done more (but only for people of their specific demographic).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

You say I shouldn't worry how it should be paid for and then note how indebted we are, that's why its in my mind, this will have to paid at some stage! Had a look last CB increase was 2016, I think the free primary school books is a great help for those with primary kids and so may be better than a €5 increase. Hopefully they increase that to secondary kids next.

All in all I think its a good budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Sorry that's a typo. It should have said you should be worried.

Free school books details remain to be seen. I assume it'll be a cost per child given in a grant form to the school but who knows if the grant will cover it all.

Guess we all have different opinions. I'm not complaining as we will (hopefully) be fine and the extra will be welcome but there are lots who still will be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Paschal himself acknowledged that our tax base is too small and we are over reliant on a small percentage of people paying the majority of income tax. This budget only makes it worse from what I can see. we desperately need another tax band, say 30% from 40k to 150k before the top rates kick in.

The 600 for electricity is indeed welcomed but then you need to realise most of that money goes straight back to the government anyway through tax and dividends from the ESB.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Or are just good at maths and plan their finances, and the first one again, are just even moderately good at maths, just even good with a calculator.

Given the circumstances it was a good budget though.

• Advertisement

How does reducing taxation between €40k and €150k deal with the problem of having too small a tax base in any way? It leaves our tax base the exact same size but shifts the relative burden further onto an even smaller pool of very high earners.

People in that bracket may actually have a reason to do overtime or additional work rather than handing over 40+% to the government for every euro earned over 40k. I know so many people who just take time off in lieu rather than get paid for overtime because of this exact reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,008 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

In reality what it will do in the near future is put further pressures on the new letting market, with the last of the "reluctant" landlords dumping their property whilst the market is still buoyant, it will also discourage this type of rental in the future. For the landlords who hang in their and become tax compliant it will further raise rental prices.

We have already seen it in the student accommodation market where private landlords masked the chronic underfunding and planning to supply suitable student accommodation.

If they really wanted to raise money, they simply could have just ended the tax breaks for the investment funds who are hoovering up property and driving up prices.

"Genius" would be acknowledging there will be a negative side to this and plan appropriately, because a tax credit won't be much good to be people if they are forced to move back in with Mammy or live in a hotel.

I understand the basic idea; I take every second of overtime as time in lieu. By the time everything is taken into consideration, over 50% of any overtime would end up in the government coffers. I'm not sure that making it 40% instead of 50% would be the game changer you think it would; I'd continue to take time in lieu.

It also doesn't address how this actually does anything to widen our tax base? You're talking about changes for the existing tax base, it still doesn't put a single extra body into that tax base, but rather reduces the taxation of a huge amount of that tax base, like I said pushing pressure upwards onto an even smaller tax base of very high earners.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

What countries do you want to be compared too? UK is our nearest neighbour but ireland holds up well and is more similar to North European countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The overtime argument is always a bit ludicrous, its like not taking a promotion because you don't like the higher rate of tax.

But this is incredibly rare, you'd literally have be making 36,800 for overtime to be 'pushing you into the higher tax bracket'. Its a made up complaint

• Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I laughed out loud at the spoofer Kwasi Kwarteng, quoted on Sky News online this morning. When speaking to panicked Tory MPs he's reported to have said 'I removed the 45p tax rate for higher earners, because we were out of kilter with Ireland'.!!

In what way you lying sod and why should that matter to 'global ambition* Britain?!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

It was blocks manufacturers who were responsible for the mica and pyrite issues. Why shouldn't there be a levy?

I wouldn't have increased the threshold for USC for a start. That's narrowing the tax base.

In a way you are correct but I suppose what I meant to say was widening the over tax take across a wider section by giving people an incentive to take home more pay at the end of each month while also adding additional money to the tax take. The current model discourages people working more hours because they lose so much of it in tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,459 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Is there any clarity on the new Childcare support?

It mentions a 25% reduction in fees, up to 2100 savings a year, but is that per household or per child?

Guy from KPMG on PrimeTime last night said if was per child but I am not so sure, I think its per household.

So in effect, if you have two children availing of childcare, its really a 12.5% reduction not a 25% reduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How is adjusting a threshold for USC narrowing the tax base?

People will still pay USC just at a lowered rate. Tax base is not affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭I see sheep

What? Can you not read?

I said it's funny people cry all the time about the dole being a great life but never do it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

It’s not though, your not doing extra hours(in most cases) for no reason when you get promoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭893bet

I think it will be per child. Makes no sense otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Is it confirmed if its the Universal subsidy increasing from 50c to 1.40 or the means tested one? Cant find any info only the leaks yday, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

It's a brilliant idea. To claim your renters tax credit enter an indetifying piece of information on your residence. Revenue cross check it with their records. Oh there's a few landlords not declaring rental income, and they recoup the €500 many times over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭downtheroad

This will drastically reduce the income tax take. Not sure you've thought this through.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

This is not the same for everyone.

A consequence of a promtion is often that extra hours must be worked in my experience. Many of us are well into the higher tax bracket before we do any overtime.

Due to resourcing issues many of us have no real choice other than to work overtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

When I first heard of this €500 credit I thought, great that'll pay for almost a third of the rent people pay... Then realised it was an annual credit, not a monthly one so completely farcical...

I suspect the dodgy landlords you talk about will be asking tenants not to claim the credit and in return they'll reduce one monthly payment by €500

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

The shinners were calling for a price cap on unit prices, paid for by a windfall tax on energy companies profits... I think that's the one area where the civil war parties could have hoovered up the leftie votes instead of giving us money to pay the energy companies

€500 tax credit a month would be farcial, christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I agree about the national debt that it’s going to come back and really bite us so we should be paying it down more.

Regards minimum wage workers they are a mixed bag. Some are young and it’s only a job for a bit of pocket money, some are women who are working in roles that they can fit around their children, some are women going back to work after raising their children, some are carers for elderly parents and just do part time hours, then there are those in very low paid industries. Everyone working is gaining skills and experience and therefore many will get opportunities to enter higher paid jobs. Sometimes people lack confidence to ask for pay rises, change roles or even careers, but the hardest jobs I ever had were those minimum wages jobs. Tax cuts don’t help the very lowest paid, that is where the welfare system hopefully comes in with things like HAP, medical cards etc. Realistically most people are better off working especially if they take a long term view.

Many of us go through tough times in our lives and I definitely questioned working back when I had my eldest was in an entry level job, paying childcare, rent and had nothing left over at end of month. Thankfully I kept going moved roles, companies and industries along the way. It’s not possible for everyone on low wages but life will get better for many. It can be very hard to see light at end of tunnel when your in the thick of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The Home Carers tax credit was increased, but just by 100 pa.

Advertisement