Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team 2023/24 [old thread]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭McFly85

It’s completely disingenuous to say nothing has been sorted out in 2 years. The team are markedly improved from where we were then. You can split Stephen Kenny’s reign in 2 to see the difference in points and goals scored between the first and second half.

And while there were some aspects of last night that were disappointing and need to be rectified, the approach was right I felt. Too often we had overcomplicated play in these games when we had possession and allowed the opposition to settle, where as yesterday was all about speed of play over accuracy, being far more direct and not letting the opposition settle, which worked as we deservedly went in 1 up.

And I think it’s a bit hyperbolic to say we’re wasting a chance to qualify when we don’t even know the group! I think under Kenny we have seen we can play very well against the higher seeds, and at least he will try and win those games, so if he can beat the lower seeds I think we actually could have a great chance of qualifying. Getting rid of him now and asking someone else to come in to qualify for the next tournament is basically going back to ultra negative football, because no manager is going to say they will qualify and improve the team while given only one campaign to do so.

We drew and lost by a goal to serbia and peopel where saying we should be battering them on here. I dont think people realise the talent of our team or ither teams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Whether you're for Kenny or against him, it's a waste of time speculating on his position. As it stands, he's probably done just enough to keep his job until the end of the Euro's.

The goal for this team now is qualification for Euro 2024. He's had more than enough time with this team, and this is his best chance at getting into a major tournament.

It's qualification or bust for Kenny.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This is bollocks as well when we don’t even know the group.

I really think it depends on the group. If we get something like Spain and England as the top 2 seeds it would be very harsh to call him a failure not qualifying out of that.

Regardless though, if he doesn’t finish at least a comfortable 3rd place then I’d agree his time is up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,707 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I think the fact we were out of the running in the group so early on, like the World Cup Qualifiers is the main issue. Things have improved no doubt. We are a lot more comfortable on the ball. But we still lack any real ideas in the final third. The game management and real time decisions from the sideline are also questionable and the same mistakes seem to be made over and over. He doesn't seem to be able to change things up during a game. We knew going into last night that they would sit on the edge of their area and invite us on. Yet we still stuck with 3 CB's. Parrott left on for so long again and Ogbene left sitting on the line. Hendrick left on for the 90 mins and Hourihane brought on. Kenny cant be held to account for individual errors but he brought Hourihane in though. It's obvious the lad ain't good enough.

Then you have Liam Scales being called into the squad over Jimmy Dunne for example. Manning left at home and Brady used out there instead.

I think Stephen should stay for the Euros without a doubt. If our results follow the pattern from the last two qualifying groups and we are out of the reckoning early on he'll have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Delaney just needs to make a name for himself as a pundit. Pundits are ten a penny. If he wants to keep getting gigs he’s going to need to grab a bit of attention because his career as a journeyman player isn’t enough to secure pundit gigs on its own.

They all do it at some stage or other. They’d have agents that would tell them to be deliberately provocative in order to get noticed, otherwise Virgin or RTE or whoever it is will just move on to the next ex footballer wanabee pundit.

Agreed. I have said he will always be judged on games against the likes of Luxembourg, Azerbaijan and Armenia.

4 competitive wins in 21 games.

1 win v Luxembourg

1 win v Armenia

1 win v Azerbaijan

1 win v Scotland

2 Losses to Finland

2 Draws with Bulgaria

1 Loss to Luxembourg

1 Loss to Armenia

1 Draw with Azerbaijan

1 loss to Slovakia

The performances were mixed in most of those games too. The mangement on the line was questionable.

If it;s a results only business we are fairly fooked.

The bar for the Euro's is as low as it can possibly be. There are two paths, one via direct qualification, the other via a play-off.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭athlone99

Said i would take the night before commenting. Missed the first half. Second half was comfortable until a few minutes of madness. Our problem as it always has been in centre midfield and a creative player. Cullen and Molumby are by miles are two best centre midfielders. Hendrick and Hourihane are simply not good enough anymore but the problem is to me there's nobody else even pushing to be the back up midfielders.

I think Kenny defended his players in the media ala Fergie and many other managers but as Liam Brady said, if he didnt read them the riot act in the dressing room after the game i would be worried. The players know throwing away the lead is on them.

For those calling to ditch the 3 centre halves, who do you then pick? Our best players are our centre halves so i would rather more of them on the pitch than having to look at hendrick playing just because people said we need and extra body in midfield.

The biggest issue to me is the in game management and making changes but I can see why he is slow to make changes in midfield, i'm not sure he even trusts hendrick or hourihane but seems them as an experienced option. As others have pointed out, the players coming through would not fill you with hope in centre midfield. Ogbene not getting on last night isnt much of an issue to me. Ryan Manning probably deserved a call up but I dont think hes played well for Ireland anytime he got his chance. I thought last night that it looked like some of the senior players stopped playing and didnt put in the effort last night.

Going forward, we are third seeds so depending on the draw it could give us no chance of qualifying. I think finishing third again will be par but that will have to be assessed on performances and "progress". As others have said, lose to a minnow and I think it may be time to try someone else. Finish third and lose out by a point or two and have good performances theres reason to keep him on.

• Advertisement

Oh I must of the missed the Euros that year. But then again I think you know I didn't.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It's always been qualification or bust for 2024

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Unfortunately if you play creative passing football risks are taken and goals can be conceded. I thibk the players enjoy playing for Kenny but perhaps they need a bit of fear in them. Hourihane would know if he made that mistake under Trap he would never play for ireland again. Also i would be concerned are two young goalies are suspect due to a lack of game time. I expect the next campaign to be as equally unpredictable in terms of results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,030 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

The era of having 11 premier league players playing for ROI is gone. It's been gone for 20 years.

30 years ago, Rice and Grealish would have chosen Ireland because of the cool buzz around Charlton's team.

They probably figured that trudging along with ROI in this era is at best a waste of time.

Stephen Ireland started that carry on 15 years ago.

We have found our level. Armenia.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

Players who make a mistake once are not allowed to criticise Ireland or Kenny now?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Spiderpig92

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭BobDole22

No body said we should be battering Serbia come on now you've made that up. Kenny will sink or swim based on the next qualifier campaign which he on balance just about deserves to be in charge for.

TBH the match going crowd are right behind Kenny I've been to a couple of games and seen it myself a few mates are a season ticket holders all bar one back Kenny my own personal opinion is that they are a little to kind to Kenny and overlook many obvious faults and that the Ole Ole Ole after the peno last night was a little embarrassing but it doesn't change the fact that the match goers back Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Do ye think so?

Because already the goalposts on here have shifted to "well lets see who we draw first"

I agree with you by the way but as i pointed out, goalposts already shifting on that one.

On here they absolutely did. Mind it was the same group that have been critics since before he managed a game

• Advertisement

So have the FAI or the Board of the FAI said its qualification or bust? Must have missed that one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,618 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Is it top team qualifies and second gets a play off

I agree 100 percent. I'd still imagine though you will have a cohort who won't want change.

Let's see how it goes though. Sport is funny. He might earn the right to stay there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

I agree with most of the above but, while the players are playing for him, they are not always listening to him or maybe they are not afraid of him. He defends them too easily when they are clearly in the wrong.

For the next game, I would have Kelleher in goal, replace Parrott with Ogbene and perhaps move Collins into the old Paul McGrath role in midfield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

No idea but then again i never claimed they did i was replying to another poster who said it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,295 ✭✭✭Azatadine

I have to say, I was disappointed with Bazunu last night. Thought he was poor on the second goal in particular. I like him but he was poor last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭jacool

Good to see that results against the likes of Serbia and Portugal don't count in the grand scheme of things. Clearly Ireland aren't measured in games like that, despite how well the team played in those matches.

Are you saying that the games against the Seeds 1 & 2 in the Euros draw don't fall under your radar?

You know people scoffed at the idea of Collins being used in a DM role. I think at this stage when Cullen is missing we need someone to be able to swap in there. Collins certainly looks like he has the football. A back 3 of Egan, O'Shea and Obamadele would also be good. Declan Rice started as a CB don't forget.

Even if we wanted to move Cullen further forward.

Last night exosed us again to our lack of DM's and midfielders in general. I think moving Collins into the role is worth a look at in friendlies. Why not.

HAHA. Read my post.

I clearly state that Stephen Kenny will be judged on results against the teams I have mentioned. 4 wins in 21 games. I've always said that.

The issue is the performances which were very good against the Serbes and Portugal don't seem to transfer to the weaker teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Pot 1

Netherlands Croatia, Spain, Italy, Denmark, Portugal, Belgium, Hungary, Switzerland, Poland.

Pot 2

France, Austria, Czech Republic, England, Wales, Israel, Bosnia, Serbia, Scotland, Finland.

Pot 3

Ukraine, Iceland, Norway, Slovenia, Republic of Ireland, Albania, Montenegro, Romania, Sweden, Armenia.

Pot 4

Georgia, Greece, Turkey, Kazakhstan, Luxembourg, Azerbaijan, Kosovo, Bulgaria, Faroe Islands, North Macedonia.

Pot 5

Slovakia, Northern Ireland, Cyprus, Belarus, Lithuania, Gibraltar, Estonia, Latvia, Moldova, Malta.

Pot 6

Andorra, San Marino, Liechtenstein

The seeding for Euro 2024 and there's the clashes of teams that can't play for political reasons, distance, and winter conditions.

Armenia can't play Azerbaijan, Belarus can't play Ukraine, Gibraltar can't play Spain, Kosovo can't play Bosnia or Serbia.

No more than two of these teams can be in the same group because of possible bad weather Belarus, Estonia, Faroe Islands, Finland, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway.

A maximum of one pair of teams identified with excessive travel distance in relation to other countries can be placed in each group:

Azerbaijan: with Gibraltar, Iceland, Portugal.

Iceland: with Armenia, Cyprus, Georgia, Israel.

Kazakhstan: with Andorra, England, Faroe Islands, France, Gibraltar, Iceland, Malta, Northern Ireland, Portugal, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Spain, Wales.

• Advertisement

Its Because learning to break a low block can be difficult particularly when yove never tried to do it. I thought we did better at that last night

I'd agree re the low block and during some passages last night we done well.

A major issue is we don't seem to be able to change systems or shapes to cope with the low block. part of that is down to the players available but a lot of it is down to the manager and his in game decision making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I think Kennys substitutions or lack there of played a big part in last night's capitulation.

One forced sub for fear of getting sent off and then nothing till after conceding the 2 goals. Armenia made 3 on the 60 min mark and their fresh legs proved decisive against our tired ones.

I've been a big fan and still enjoy the style of play he's employing but I wouldnt care if he was given the chop after last night.

What’s wrong with setting realistic goals for the manager based on the group we’re given?

We’ve only recently learned that there are some big names in pot 2 that would make qualification a difficult prospect for us. It’s possible for us to be drawn in a group against the current European and World champions. If that happens are you going to say Kenny’s a failure for not beating one of them to qualification?

We are almost certain to get a place in the play-off's. Going from previous history, we can expect the likes of Slovenia, Montenegro, Albania to be the level of opponent we can expect. If we are going to fail to be able to progress in a play-off against that calibre of team then this team really has shown no progress under Kenny and it will be time to try someone new.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Spiderpig92

Agree - though he is 20 and in his 12 caps last night was his only real poor outing...for my money Irish No 1 by a mile when Kelleher fit

As far as I’m aware we would need Scotland and Ukraine to qualify automatically for us to get a playoff - is that not the case?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Its gonna be Denmark, Wales, Georgia, and throw the north in for a handy trip up the road for the team. Give me Italy and France over seeing Denmark, Wales, and Georgia in any group cause for the next Nations league Wales will be Pot 1 and Georgia pot 4 for the League B draw so we're gonna end up facing them again more than likely 😂

That is probably not a bad suggestion. Collins clearly one of our best players on the ball and trying him in a DM role when Cullen/Molumby are out is worth a try. Id be quite happy with the rest of the back 3 if all are fit and to try Collins in Midfield.

Good post. Its quite possible we finish 3rd in the group, that could be being out of contention after 1 game or missing out on the last day. But if we as you say almost certainly get a playoff through the Nations League and then lose to some of the teams you mention it would probably be time to move on. But finish 3rd and qualify through a Nations league playoff would be par and probably reason to give him after 2 years depending on performances all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I think people mostly scoffed at the rationalisations given or lack of understanding of the position - like, trying to compare it to Rice starting as a young fella at CB is a perfect example. He transitioned from CB to DM at club level, working on it every week in training over years. There are no signs that Collins will be doing the same at Wolves, and it's generally not a good idea to take someone who does one thing week in week out for their whole career, and then suddenly throw them into doing a completely different thing entirely for 2 games every few months.

Saying 'he has the football' is neither here nor there... 'having the football' is almost irrelevant - the most important part of the job is when you don't have the ball. Hendrick 'has the football' too, but he's poor there because he just doesn't have the threat awareness. A good DM has to have a total awareness and understanding of what's going on around them, rather than in front of them. Where a CB is reactive, a DM has to be proactive. A CB watches the danger unfolding and covers that last line. A DM has to be up amongst it and see it - and stop it - before it develops. It's just a very different thing - arguably the most difficult tactical position in football - and to throw someone in with zero professional experience to date would be a huge gamble, and not very fair on the fella either. He's our best CB. He's most valuable to us in his best position.

Im trying to remember back to an interview his Uncle? (open to correction) did with I think second captains where it was mention I think he would have played in mid field when playing as a schoolboy. Not saying its the right thing to do long term but might be worth trying if it was required as has been seen by last night we dont have anyone else to play in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

A potential group of Spain, France, Turkey and Slovakia would be worst case scenario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

Hungary are playing great at the moment., would prefer Swiss out of pot 1

Wales, Scotland out of pot 2 wouldn't be a disaster

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭secman

Collins was always a midfielder in his early days, that's why he's so comfortable on the ball.

Does it perhaps say something if someone played as a schoolboy in one position, and was moved to a different position when they got to a higher level? His professional career is entirely, 100%, as a CB.

My preference will always be a career midfielder to play in midfield for the national team (and part of my post was also from Gusser saying to have Collins there regardless whether Cullen is available or not - moving Cullen forward instead).

If we absolutely HAD to pick a non midfielder in DM, I'd much rather Coleman, who at least has an extra decade of experience, earned in all sorts of different situations. I feel like the Collins thing only comes up 'cause he's good on the ball, when experience and awareness are far far more important to a DM. I'd have Doherty ahead of Collins too, having played at CB, FB, and WB on both sides, and again, almost having a decade more professional experience.

Collins is 21, and thriving for us in his best position - leave him be.

He's been playing only as a CB since he was 13 years old.

I'm not sure anything before that is really relevant to where he should play in the senior national team.

<edit>

found this article where he mentions having played in midfield till he was 13, and was then moved to CB; https://www.the42.ie/nathan-collins-6-5791345-Jun2022/

It's just an idea to be honest. We need to get creative with the resources available to us. I'd agree about not moving a player from his best position but we are pretty desperate at the moment.

If we're going to play the ball out from defence, you need to have players in defence who are comfortable on the ball. If you stick Collins in midfield and bring Duffy back in, we're back to square one of having defenders being put under pressure and making mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,356 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

France and England in pot 2 is bizarre, they are ranked 3rd and 5th in the World Rankings.

Knowing our luck we will get one of them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement