Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2023

Options
  • 27-09-2022 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭

That time of year again.What’s your thoughts?I like the idea of the lime spreading subsidy and renewing fodder subsidy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

We will all be millionaires tomorrow 😅

The business energy scheme from sept 22 to Feb 23 is supposed to be extended to farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

I would guess the lime spreading subsidy will just drive up the cost of lime, but it is something I was planning on doing on about 25 acres this back end anyway so we will see whats involved in that. Does it look like we will be getting a total of around €220 / per cow of a subsidy on suckler cows next year. That could be good, I know we are getting €160 - €170 a head at the minute

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mauser77

Heard lime went up €3/ton afew weeks ago. Horrid coincidence really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

In fairness the recent rise in Lime could be as a result of the Carbon Tax as that is some of the reason behind the recent rise in concrete products over the last few months. I know the Carbon Tax has places €6.50 /M3 on concrete from our supplier.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I think it went up a few months back.

I paid €675 for a load of lime (25-ton) in early March. The same load cost €770 in June when I spread it after cutting silage.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭older by the day

28 a ton delivered down here

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eire23

21 a tonne delivered from Hanlys in Elphin there two weeks back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Sounds like a election budget, the poor oul sinners, they've no hope now of holding forth. (Maybe they know their not ready, maybe never will) with all these giveaways. Seems that cold front over the uk, isn't coming over eire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭kk.man

The difference is we are in the EU. The UK is swimming alone, you can't give giveaways as freely when you have your own currency with a smaller geo economic area.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 18,664 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You forget we are running a 5-6 billion surplus this year. As well the Apple billions will be along in a few years time. 4 billion of spending is once off.

Nasty little one on concrete 10% levy to fund mica costs. With carbon tax that will add nearly 15/meter to concrete. About 1k to a 4 bay slatted tank.

Dairy farmers may make a bit on the small businesses energy relief but the rest of us will.only get the 600/household support.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭leoch

Nothing for the working man as usual everything for the dole man

• Registered Users Posts: 9,000 ✭✭✭893bet

Hopefully that’s subtle sarcasm as it’s probably the best budget for the working man in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭cjpm

That working man wouldn’t want to be planning any building jobs anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pauly58

I know the carbon tax increase on petrol & diesel has been deferred by the reduction to zero of the National Oil Reserves Agency levy, but has it still gone to coal & home heating oil ?

Over in the UK the government did away with the top rate of tax at 45%. They do not have USC. It only benifitted those earning over 150k sterling. The Irish government pit about 16/ week into most workers pockets it's a long time since that happened. As well they gave the electricity benifits to everybody. Finally they targeted 500 euro to low paid workers on income support and a 500 euro tax credit X 2 to those renting

A young worker renting away from home will see 500 before Christmas this year and next year they will see 26/week in there pay packet.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

As pointed out it is probably one of the most loaded budgets towards the working man in decades, it may mark a shift away for FG back to Garrett Fitz style politics.

I'm no fan of the Govt but call a spade a shovel occasionally.

Only concern is that corporate tax is so dependent on 10 foreign companies and there was a lot of one off boosts.

I'd like to have seen more of a lift for the lower paid, a cut to foreign aid but one can't have butter on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

That levy was hard one to figure out, hopefully it is dropped before the finance Bill.

It's a slap in the b9llox, a little hit with a big and negative impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

Was there details of the scheme for spreading lime given?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

The concrete levy and the reduction of the flat rate of VAT from 5.5% to 5% were negatives.

A good budget for the first time in a good few years for the PAYE worker who "gets up early in the morning".

I don't think there's anything for beef or sheep farmers?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭KAMG

Tell us all what you would have done so. I'd love to hear it. Any fair minded person should be able to admit that this was a very generous budget for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,165 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Flat rate vat refund figure is arrived at from a formula based on the previous three years VAT reciepts in Agriculture, It's not the remit of Government to independenlty put it up or down. It's basically a system of getting your vat back without having to register for VAT. It's a rolling average so it can change u or down every three years (I think)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,401 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

They've put 4 billion into the rainy day fund, be a different matter if we were borrowing for this kinda budget.

The difference between running at full employment, 4% unemployment, and say 9% unemployment is massive too. 200k less on the dole and providing some form of tax back to the exchequer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭White Clover

Thanks for that Wrangler, I wasn't aware of how it was calculated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭dmakc

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/budget-2023-slurry-storage-capital-allowance-wont-apply-to-sheds/

Still doesn't clear up whether the slatted tank component of a shed can still be covered by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Silverdream

Am I the only one who think the Government are just squandering away money that could be better spent on the likes of Infrastructure projects for the state?

A hell of a lot of moaning from RTE on behalf of God knows who, at the end of the day the price of Oil is out of the Governments hands, if they really wanted to help the energy side of things then maybe the should have spent money on Gas and Oil Storage facilities to prevent spikes in prices. Unlink the price of Wind and Solar electric from the price of Gas.

Are people really that badly off in Ireland?

There is little point in carrying out infrastructure projects at present as they cannot be costed. Energy is too expensive at present mainly electricity. All those nice Ber A&B rated houses would have some electricity bills this winter. As well a lot of houses in cities are dependent on gas heating unless they directed some subsidities towards them there would have been huge wage pressure in the economy

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It's not a bad budget if you were paying the top rate of tax on at least €3,200 of your income. You'll benefit by €640 from the band increase alone.

Probably not so good if you were earning €37,000 or €46,000 if married. You'll only benefit by €40 from that.

Then there's roughly €200 from the tax credits and USC. Depending on circumstances whether you can claim the rent tax credit or not.

Some workers have done well, others maybe only the €200 which wouldn't be any better than recent budgets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Plenty of the A and B rated houses have the Aircon on a lot during the summer so they're bills won't change that much.

Advertisement