Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

I've been using it for cocktails really. Drinking it straight does nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I like the mad banana off it and it's nice and spicy too. At €30 it's a great bargain. Speaking of good deals, John's Lane is reduced from €70 to €54 in Dunnes atm

Might have to go for John's Lane at that price. Been a couple of years since I bought a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

Did you see this in-store, not showing as reduced on their website this morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,549 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

10% off on IrishMalts website today with code RainyDay

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Yes in store only, i checked the site on the day I got a bottle and it was at €70 too but was €54 in store. now it might be a store to store basis, but someone down the country mentioned it in one of these threads so I drove down to see and sure enough it was reduced. not sure for how long though.

I had some Johns Lane then the other night, a bottle that was about 1/3 down. It is great to have an ex bourbon forward pot still, even if it does have some sherry in it. Nice to get the leathery, spicy vanilla notes as opposed to the christmas cake sherry pot stills about from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I bought a couple of bottles of Blue Spot and a Gold Spot over the weekend. Is it worth holding these or am I better off flipping now?

I do drink whiskey, but these were lucky finds and bought purely to make a few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Flip them where? Gold spot on any of the Facebook group is going up at 10 euro a number on thunderball so you will make what 20 quid

Blue spot is core range at 80 euro and plenty of it in airport

Wrong whiskeys to buy to make profit tbh. Open them and enjoy them

Think Gold Spot went for crazy price in a few recent auctions, but not sure why. Blue Spot you'll make nothing on.

I’ve seen the blue make 150, that’s double what I paid, in a few auctions. Gold went as far as 300 as you say.

• Advertisement

5 lots of single bottles of gold went for between 185 and 220 last month on Whiskey Bidders.

Take fees off that and you at around 140 150

Auction sights don't offer their services for free

Blue has gone as high as that in the states

You don't have to convince me mate

I know the values

September auction had some Blue Spot sell as low as €125. That's €113 after fees.

So with a bottle of Blue Spot retailing at €80, you are left with €33 profit, which is hardly worth your while really.

I put a bottle of it in auction, before it got general release, and it didn't even make the low reserve I'd put on it. But then it seemed like a lot of people got it before it was released, and tried to flip straight away.

Cheers mate. I asked a question, you answered, I replied. You’re the expert.

It also had it go as high as 220. It’s grand. I’ll know for again.

Blue Spot went as high as that? Surely that's madness, when you could just bid on a cheaper one.

Ok your bottles are worth 5 grand

Auction them and reap the wealth 🤑

You probably have B2, which doesn't seem to to be worth as much as B1.

Quick summary I found online of Irish whiskey main brands in the USA...

Is 2 Gingers just the export name for Kilbeggan?

TOP TEN IRISH WHISKEY BRANDS IN THE U.S by thousands of 9-liter cases

• 1. Jameson (Pernod Ricard) 4,059
    • 2. Tullamore D.E.W. (William Grant & Sons) 327
    • 3. Proper No. Twelve (Proximo Spirits) 280
    • 4. Bushmills (Proximo Spirits) 195
    • 5. Redbreast (Pernod Ricard) 56 
    • 6. Paddy (Sazerac Co) 45 
    • 7. 2 Gingers (Beam Suntory) 30
    • 8. Teeling (Bacardi) 27
    • 9. Slane (Brown-Forman) 25
    • 10. The Sexton (Proximo Spirits) 20

Between 2006 and 2021, total sales have risen from just under 1 millon cases to just over 5 million... representing close to half of all Irish whiskey made for the world.

• Advertisement

Looks like it's a brand they have in the US? I'd never heard of it before.

Me either... I found a bit more information about it here:

The 2 Gingers Irish Whiskey is actually the brain child of Kieran Folliard, the owner of 4 well known Irish pubs in Minnesota, who decided that after many years of slinging whiskey he wanted to sourced and blend his own...

The most positive thing I can say about the 2 Gingers Irish Whiskey is that it tastes better than its cousin the Kilbeggan Blended Irish Whiskey

In the end my synopsis for the 2 Gingers Irish Whiskey would be this. It’s not too shabby for being a whiskey that was basically created for mixing with Ginger Ale and doing shots in pubs in Minnesota.

https://thewhiskeyjug.com/irish-whiskey/2-gingers-irish-whiskey-review/

Branding is terrible on it. Good to see how far up it is in the rankings though.

Still amazed that Proper 12 is doing so well.

Thats the worst name I've ever heard on a whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭dizzyg

It's that time of year again. What advent calendars are everyone ordering? I fancy a Scotch whisky one but MoM aren't delivering them to Ireland. Are there any others?

Post edited by dizzyg on

I've been seaving up for another Redbreast CS but then I have still have half a bottle from last year and I'm wodnering should I try the 15 instead? Never had the 15...might be good for a special treat.

For scotch, I'm definitely going to see if I can get my hands on another Ledaig Rioja cask, its the best whisky i've had all year, espeically in terms of just pure intense aroma and flavour that smacks you about the face.

I've been thinking about trying that seaweed cask whiskey too from down the country...the Currach for something different? Anyone recommend?

Edit: Sorry @dizzyg i misread you post and jumped the gun and thinking you were talking about what people are ordering for the Christmas hols

I've had the Currach and really liked it. I found it different to a lot of other Irish whiskey. I can't remember which one I preferred out of the two of them though.

I see Method and Madness have a new release that's 60% oats, 40% malt. That's a lot of oats!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Good weekend ahead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭oleras

Can confirm JL @€54 in Dunnes Parkway Limerick this afternoon, no price on the shelf though, just a blank under it. 3 bottles left.

Advertisement