Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Softening house market?

Options

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,733 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Again, I think you don't understand the scheme and why it was introduced, which is why you're resorting to silly little vacuous soundbites.

The HTB was never a solution to property affordability, if you think it was you were never paying attention. It was never designed to make prices lower.

From a buyer's point of view, HTB was designed to solve the problem of potential buyers who could clearly afford mortgage payments, but who were struggling to save deposits due to high rent prices. It was a trade-off, you will pay more over the 25/30 years, but you will buy much sooner than you otherwise would without the scheme.

Initially the HTB was for 20k max, or 5% of the property price, whichever was lower (assuming no tax limitations).

If you bought a 480k house pre HTB, you needed to save 48k of your own money.

After HTB, assuming that the 20k was immediately tacked onto the price, you would pay 500k for the house, but you only needed to save 30k up front. 18k less savings required.

This was the point. It was never a secret.

Whether it's still required, that's a big open question. The problem is it's very hard to put the cork back in the bottle, and while it may be popular among the posters on here who deal only in theory and ignore any of the gravity of the real world, it would be a difficult political decision for the current government to make to stop it since you would pretty much instantly stop a bunch of people buying a house any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

I was going to write a response, but I literally dont think there is anything I could write to get you to see how silly your thought process is 😂.

I mean I spelled it out in the first post.

Maybe reread the post 100 times, something might get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭cfingers

The poster is correct though.

Htb wasn't aimed at solving affordability. It couldn't have been. It's main aim was to increase prices to make it more attractive for developers to build houses.

Any official saying it would not increase prices, didn't fully understand the scheme.

No politician was ever going to come out and say "we are bringing in this scheme to boost prices", so it's an odd peg for the poster to hang their hat on, but it was obvious (then and now) that this was the point.

It was as scheme designed to incentivise building while simultaneously helping with the deposit problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It should be simple to understand that any such subsidies merely artificially inflate economic demand which means that everyone ends up paying an artificially higher price. There is unfortunately a shortage of houses so in subsidising people, you are merely inflating the price.

The rent associated with "providing" the accommodation has almost no relation to the cost to the owner of doing so. It is a function of how much people are willing to pay you for it.

It is a bit of a strange conclusion there to describe complaints of HTB pushing up prices as "bizzare" when you agree that that is what it did.

HTB pushed up house prices similar to how subsidising rents would just push up rental prices as explained directly above

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

But that doesn't mean that house prices will drop by 11.385%. or what ever other figure someone pulls out of there ar5e.

During the 70's e en with interest rates increasing house prices increased. If that economic nugget was correct over the last 3-5 years house prices would have increased by no more than wage increases.

We were have some economic geniuses here suggesting that interest rates will increase 5+% o er the next couple of years.

I understand compound interest rates very well. I have paid back more property loans than you ever will probably. I know the exact effect of interest rates on different types of loans.

The simple fact is that the 3.5/4.5 times lending barrier is more of a barrier than any interest rate hike.

While interest rates will effect borrowers, the 3.5/4.5 times income is more of a barrier to house buying than cost of the mortgage.

As well you have the economic cost of building. Today hidden away in the budget is a 10% levy on concrete. That will add 800-1k in building costs to the average house. It might seem nothing but it's a thousand that has to come from somewhere either from other materials reductions, labour cost reductions, builders margin or from the new house purchaser

Slava Ukrainii

"I understand compound interest rates very well. I have paid back more property loans than you ever will probably."

This made me laugh. I dont know why.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Precisely.

The renters are paying for the properties. The REITS are simply middlemen - back in the 19th century they would have been land agents squeezing the small farmers for every penny they could. In reality in social terms we've gone back to the 19th century, but with electronics.

• Advertisement

Bass you should change your signature from Slava Ukrainii to "I understand compound interest rates very well. I have paid back more property loans than you ever will probably."

The only house loan I ever had was my PPR just to clarify. There are other property loans so laugh away

Slava Ukrainii

But that doesn't mean that house prices will drop by 11.385%. or what ever other figure someone pulls out of there ar5e.

During the 70's e en with interest rates increasing house prices increased. If that economic nugget was correct over the last 3-5 years house prices would have increased by no more than wage increases.

But the poster didn't say any of that Bass. They just said that a person would require a decrease of 11% to offset a 1% increase in a 30-year fixed rate. Which is correct. They never said that prices could not increase.

Like a few other Chicken Lickens on here he tried to equate any interest hike with a sharp drop in house prices.

I think this 1%/11% equation has been posted a few times since interest rates increased as well as posters saying tracker mortgage holders were going to suffer an economic shock that would break them.

He finished that he expected a sharp fall in house sales that were in progress.

The harsh reality is renting is MORE EXPENSIVE than mortgage repayments in most of the country. While there has been serious house price increases in Dublin especially and in our other cities most of the rest of the country still has houses for sale that are below building costs.

We have not seen any major houses building outside cities. Any that has started has slowed down because of building material and labour costs

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

I was surprised to see this. 200k for a 1 bed. I've tracked the properties for this area for many years as I rent my home across the road. I never seen the 1 bed go for more than 175k.. that's quite a jump.

Do you think it's realistic or just hoping? I've been trying hard to save a deposit but it always feels like I'm chasing a 200 euro increase each month

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

I would say the majority of Irish people can't afford to pay for a pension, not to mention the fact that any money put in is at the whim of the finance minister of the day to take to use to spend on things like increments for the public sector or for their own pensions or to continue the gravy pouring in social welfare. Why would you bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

The average Irish person has a Charlie McCreevy level of financial management: If I have it, I spend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Private pensions are not at the whim of any finance minister..

In an absolutely perfect world, there would be no need to subsidise anyone's housing. But guess what?

In the real world, the government must subside housing until here is an alternative. Suggesting this is causing "artificial" prices is IMO total waffle, it's just reality.

The government is always going to need to house people one way or another, either through rent subsidies which will inflate rents, or through social housing which will inflate house prices. Neither of these things are "artificial".

• Advertisement

You should be able to understand that giving people money to help them pay more for something scarce will just increase the price of that thing. Particularly when the marginal cost of providing that thing bears no resemblance to the price being charged. To suggest otherwise is complete waffle and shows a complete lack of basic understanding. It is, indeed, artificial.

Of course I understand that, but the point is this is a nonsensical point because there is no alternative.

I'll ask again, what do you expect the government to do? Stop subsidising rents? In which case, what do you expect the people who can't afford rent to do? Vanish into thin air?

The government is always going to be in the business of subsidising housing, one way or another. Talking about how wonderful things would be if government didn't have to subsidise housing is fairytale talk, it has no bearing in the real world, it's not a scenario that is ever going to arise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Many boardsies idea of a utopian fantasy is some kind of Randian libertarian free-for-all society where it's every man for himself and nobody gets any "handouts". They also believe their natural abilities would see them at the top of the pile in such a society. Surprisingly, none of them are looking to emigrate and start a new life in Mogadishu.

You're inventing things. Nobody mentioned anything being "wonderful".

Let me turn your question back to you - does subsidising people's rents make them vanish so that they no longer take up any housing stock? Whether they are subsidised or not will not affect the number of people needing housing and would have negligible affect on housing availability.

People pay based on what they can afford and what they want. If the government decided to give every renter up to 1000 Euro a month towards their rent for one year, then rental prices would jump up. Suppose they go from 2,500 to 3,000. Why? Well because I am renting in my nice estate for 2,500 but suddenly the person who could only afford to live in a kip @2000 per month would be willing to put the extra 1000 to what they are currently paying to pay 3,000 to live here instead. So I'll pay 3,000 because I have it.

Then next year that subsidy is removed. By your logic they can't remove it as loads of people can't afford 3,000 and they can't vanish into thin air. You are ignoring the fact that there is no inherent reason why the rent should be at 3,000 and there is no reason why it can't go back to 2,500.

Ah I see, you are living in the fantasy world where if the rent subsidies are removed or reduced, rents will instantaneously drop to the new levels. Like magic, everything just clicks into place. Landlords wake up, see that HAP is being removed and they all decide it's grand, they'll just absorb the cut without consequence.

In reality, if the subsidies are removed or reduced, the people on them can't afford to pay their rent, so they get evicted and are now homeless. The government needs to house them urgently. And so round and round the circle goes, as the government is now back competing in the market again.

You cannot remove the subsidies until there is an alternative. Making people homeless is not an alternative.

The government could build a ton of social houses and ultimately get rid of subsidies, but then they're competing for the same labour and materials as the private market to actually build these houses, and so no doubt you'll be telling us this will artificially inflate prices. This will also take time.

There is no world where government policy has no impact on the prices in the housing market.

You know you've lost an argument when all you have is strawmanning and trying to make things up. In between claiming I was contradicting myself by saying something I never said, to claiming I was saying something was wonderful when I never said that to now trying to imply I said that rents would instantaneously drop. Not looking too good for ya

I've asked you the question like 3 times and you've dodged it every time.

What do you expect the government to do? The people who receive these subsidies, what do you think happens to them if the subsidies are removed?

It is a straightforward question.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

I think this conversation now definitely belongs on the general Property Market chat (if anywhere) - we’ve drifted far from talking about what is actually happening in the market now based on peoples’ direct experience, which is what this thread was started for.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Agree, lets remain on topic, which is the softening of the housing market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭dontmindme

Maybe it's over-priced. Have you made any enquiries as to current offers or do you know long is it's on the market?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement