Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭snowgal

I think the budget was overall an ok one, everyone got something, no tax increases etc. The timing of this was great for the Government, I think they'll regain alot of voters, esp older now. 2 things for me:

1 the whole idea of doing the budget now was to give people immediate relief for the coat of living crisis, as stated by Leo himself. However, I dont see anything really immediate to be honest..........

2 I think this keeps people happy at the minute, on the lead up to Christmas, people worried about money and now theres abit of relax, relief. I still think that in December or maybe January, when people are getting their actual bills, they will get a shock that all is not as rosy as they think and that actually the energy credits, reliefs will not go far enough....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I think overall the budget was ok. There did seem to be an attempt to make sure everyone got something. We benefit from the widening of the tax band, plus CB payments and energy payment.

BUT and there is always a but, as a parent to teens in secondary school I am getting a little fed up on the constant supporting younger families. Free pre school, free Gp and now free books plus childcare supplement. Im not saying they shouldn't get it just the cost of raising a teen is far higher than a young child. I spent more on books for one child this year than I spent on books plus uniforms for 2 in primary school. There are many families who really find the cost of secondary difficult but who also dont qualify for any sort of allowance. I would hope there is a move from the dept of education to really push schools into keeping the same books, not this new edition crap which would allow parents to save up to 60% on book costs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,488 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Cork luas and Cork and Galway BusConnects are projects currently going through planning

Stark contrast to the UK. The UK has just announced a serious of tax cuts for the rich, to be funded by more national debt (which seems to be growing at an alarming pace) and are working to slash their welfare bill. Their welfare department is pushing part time people to take on more hours and seek better paid work, also big push on people with special needs to get any type of work regardless if their circumstances.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I think that Pascal's response to this was very good. The SF price cap proposal is essentially a blank cheque. How can you budget for this when nobody knows what it will cost?

Also there needs to be an incentive to reduce usage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,755 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Once I put the SF policy through the JP McManus lens again, I see that their proposal once again benefits the extremely rich more than the ordinary person. The bigger your house, the more units you use. A €200 credit is much more equitable as those who are heavy users benefit less.

Furthermore, the credit is also better from a climate change, environmental and security of supply basis, as those that conserve energy best benefit. SF's alternative also fails the climate change test.

SF - the party for wealthy people and climate change deniers.

So, not a metre of track is even past planning?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Be thankful we aren't getting a UK style budget, their theory of trickle down economics is been torn apart on the markets. Taking the corporation tax receipts and supporting the lowest base is the right move although I wanted to see more done for under the 40k bracket. On the business side supports for energy, many will still fail but you can't complain about getting 40% of the increase since last year covered.

Paschal has done well here and I'd like him to stay on as finance minister in the switchover of FF and FG.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,053 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It would be impossible to budget for that as we don't actually know how high energy futures will go. The UK have made a mess of the economy with the price cap and wrote a blank cheque for future debt on the next generation to repay/.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Do you mean wage ineaquality? Person on 40k is on a different wage than someone on 25k. Person on 40k does a different job than someone on 25k. There is more training involved mostlu, more responsibility, more risk. Do you think that a person on 40k should be taxed so they are brought to the net income of someone on 35k? wheres the incentive to do better, to take on more responsibility, to work more hours....

I've put it very simply there, because it seems you dont seem to grasp that more income means more taxes, the 40k earner will always pay way more than the person on 25k, the expenses will generally be more as well, they also get way less assistance from the government in any grants such as student grants, gp cards, etc.

This seems to be a theme here, the higher earner is paying for the unemployed person, they are also supplementing the lower income worker, the taxes from a lower income worker may or may not cover their expenses as a citizen, so without the tax of the higher earner, there would be a whole lot less services. It's baffling.

BTW, I was unemployed for 18 months and also worked minimum wage for 6 years in my 30's- it was funny how little tax I was paying, and I used to listen to my co-workers say -my husband gets 40k a year and he is x amount better off after the budget, I'm not much better off, then I'd point out, you are paying about 8-10% of your income, what do you expect? to pay zero tax? not contribute?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭amandstu

Does anyone know what the living alone allowance is for a pensioner on a full state pension?

Did it go up in this budget?

And ,alsowhat about the 2 extra double payments that I read about after Christmas?

Have they been dropped for the time being?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Going back to the Childcare reduction, it does seem to be per child, not per household, which is welcome.

Have you ever been to Cork? People fight hard against public transport investment, yet paradoxically nobody seems to be capable of driving down there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,978 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I'd like to see the overall tax take reduced and the tax base widened. So more people pay into the system and those that do work hard have more money in their own pockets rather than been divided up by a bunch of politicians looking for votes. If people had more of their own money in their own pockets then maybe we wouldn't need so many of these supports that keep getting added to an ever expanding number of people in this country.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

That’s exactly where the carbon fund will be spent, on upgrading social housing.

Nothing new about it, we had a renters credit in place up to about 6 years ago.

Creating choices like using public transport, not subsidising their private cars.

I’ve named the groupings that ARE the vast majority of minimum wage jobs. What jobs are you talking about?

Hopefully teachers choosing books will be more conscious of the costs involved than previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Jesus the Irish Sea will be like the Channel when they hear the benefits this country gives out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭lucalux

It's €22, hasn't been changed, but for anyone receiving it they will receive a one-off €200 payment in November.

Anyone on a social welfare payment will receive a 100% Cost-of-Living payment in November.

Anyone on fuel allowance will receive a €400 lump sum payment in November.

A 100% Christmas Bonus will be paid this year to recipients of long-term social welfare payments in December.

Payments after Christmas, do you mean the electricity bonus payments?

One due before Christmas, two in the beginning of 2023

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

You are like Andrew quick to be a funny phuck with no substance, property prices are all dropping in those countries

https://fortune.com/2022/09/07/housing-price-crash-canada-australia-new-zealand-goldman-sachs-research/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I know. However with the old tax credit system there was no requirement to have the tenancy registered with the PRTB for the individual to claim it.

Not every landlord who avoids the PRTB is on a tax-dodge, but every landlord on a tax-dodge avoids the PRTB.

Easy way to smoke-out spivs who think they're in the free money 4-eva business.

Hmmmm, if only the clue were in my user name (outdated as no longer exiled)

Sounds great but what is the alternative? They have not given us one yet

There are many alternatives for many people. Lots of people are using private cars with four empty seats for short journeys that are easily walked or cycled. Public transport is an option for many too.

So people who live in Rural Ireland say 10/15k away from a major town where there is no public transport and there are a lot of people like this what do they walk in the **** weather over here. As I say put the alternatives in place first and then by all means punish those who choose not to change

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

There will never be public transport alternatives for people who choose to live 15km from towns.

• Advertisement

There may not be solutions for EVERYONE but there are solutions for many, 10-15km is easily cycled for many people. An eBike would make it a very easy cycle.

Advertisement